Tootie Roll Roses

Decorating By SelphieAerith Updated 7 Aug 2006 , 11:43pm by kjgjam22

SelphieAerith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SelphieAerith Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 7:33pm
post #1 of 9

I'm new to the whole cake decorating scene but a friend of mine told me that you can make roses out of tootie roll. I was wondering if anyone knew how to make them or be able to tell me where to look for the instructions.

Thank You in advance
Janelle

8 replies
getfrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
getfrosted Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 7:39pm
post #2 of 9

There was a cake posted a couple of days ago with them ... could the creator give some instructions? Please!!!! ...

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 7:41pm
post #3 of 9

Tootsie rolls make great roses. If you have made roses from fondant or gumpaste, the technique is the same. Soften the tootsie rolls in your warm hands, or VERY carefully in the microwave. They can get very hot, so just a couple of seconds, and watch for hot spots.

If you haven't made roses, there is a good tutorial for bubblegum roses at baking911.com. The process is the same. Both tootsieroll and bubblegum roses can be made around lollipops. DumDum suckers work great, because they are small. Near Halloween, the have mini- Tootsie Roll Pops and they are terrific for roses. If you don't have either, you can just make a cone shape from the candy, and structure the roses around that. You can also use a Hershey's Kiss for the rose cone.

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 7:42pm
post #4 of 9

I'm not the creator of the previous post, but I've read that you can soften the tootsie rolls in the microwave oven, then roll it out and shape into roses. If you have a pasta maker, you can roll it out using that; it will give you a consistent thickness.

vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 9

I have chocolate roses in my gallery. Same
thing goes for the tootsie rolls.
That's actually next on my agenda.

cindww Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindww Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 9:37pm
post #6 of 9

Check out zamode's gallery..I believe she did some tootsie roll roses recently.
icon_smile.gif

cindy

Lalana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lalana Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 9:51pm
post #7 of 9

I've done them with tootsie rolls and starburst candies. The least technical way is to split each piece of candy in half to make 2 pieces. Take one of the halves and warm in your hand for a few min then roll into a ball. Flatten the ball into a circle. To make the center just roll the circle like a jelly roll. Add the other circles to the outside of the center at it's base in layers to form petals. You can turn the edges back to make a more realistic petal shape. Hope this was somewhat clear!!
LL

vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 10:28pm
post #8 of 9

I take the tootsie or the chocolate and roll
into a ball and flaten it between two plastic
(smooth) bags. You won't get lines then.

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 11:43pm
post #9 of 9

wow...that way you dont have to make the chocolate paste. but i dont like how they taste. but thats just me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%