Substitute For Shortening???? Cant Get Chrisco In Australia

Decorating By yummymummycakes Updated 22 Jun 2007 , 10:16am by BarbaraK

yummymummycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummycakes Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 8:25am
post #1 of 9

I notice in lots of your frosting and filling recipes you specify 'crisco' or shortening.

As I live in Australia we dont get crisco over here, so what can I use in its place.

I have been using butter whenever I have been required to do a buttercream cake, but I really dont like the taste.

Hence the reason I do so many fruit cakes with fondant.

We do have a vegetable shortening called copha, but I believe it is made from coconut oil?????????? thats according to the websites I have looked at. Or else there is something called 'fairy margarine' but I dont know exactly if that would be similar to crisco.

So if anyone can help me I would deeply appreciated.

Many thanks

8 replies
martyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martyz Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 8:36am
post #2 of 9

I have worked out that Copha is not the same as Crisco...There is a shop in Bentleigh that sells crisco and other American grocery items. There is a website that another CCer put me onto...www.usafoods.com.au. I got a larger size tub of the Crisco for $11. The smaller tubs were the newer trans fat ones (not so good apparently). HTH

sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 9:13am
post #3 of 9

you can buy a brand of shortening here called Cream Cup, it makes a decent frosting but i worked out that for 250grams of shortening at least add 1 kilo of icing sugar other wise its tastes yuk...

you can order Cream Cup here either by the tub or in bulk... just give them a ring and they will do a over the phone order... its on page 58 of the catalogue...

http://www.carolines.com.au/catalogue.htm

or if you ring cakedeco in melbourne they sell shortening too but its hard to find what it is called on their website

www.cakedeco.com.au

cheers

kylie

BarbaraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraK Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 9:48am
post #4 of 9

I believe the product that cakedeco in Melbourne sells is called Solite. For some reason it is not on their website but if you contact them they have it in store.

I buy 'Creaming Shortening' from Greensborough Cake Decorating and it is about A$2.95 for a 250g tub.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 9:53am
post #5 of 9

Cheryl....... your cakes are AWESOME !!!

yummymummycakes Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 3:16am
post #6 of 9

Thank you for your replies, have downloaded the catalogue and I am planning a trip into Melbourne in the next couple of weeks so I will go to cake deco.

I had heard that Greensborough Cake Decorating was stocking Wilton brands now........ is that correct? From what I have read a lot of people dont seem to like the Wilton brand.

Many thanks to all

BarbaraK Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 9:48am
post #7 of 9

Greensborough Cake Decorating has some Wilton products but not much. Depends on what you are looking for. They don't stock the decorating tips but they have some of the pans and some boxed cookie stuff.

Cake Deco has lots of stuff in the shop that is not on their website. Leave yourself plenty of time to browse when you visit. Leave your kids at home so you can browse in peace. LOL!

Where in Melbourne are you?

yummymummycakes Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 3:11am
post #8 of 9

Will definately leave the two year old home, have to take the 10 mth old though, because I am still BF her and I will possibly be there all day. icon_lol.gif

I am going to have so much fun, I hadnt baked or decorated in a long time as my ex husband icon_evil.gif thought it was all a waste of time and money, so in the end it was easier to avoid the arguments with him. icon_cry.gif

But since I meet someone icon_biggrin.gif 6 months ago who has been encorougaging me to do what I love and is even trying to convince me to open my own business. He and his work collegues love cake!!

I live in Glenroy to I am not far to either store really. Where abouts in Melbourne are you?

Cheryl

BarbaraK Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 10:16am
post #9 of 9

I'm in Mill Park.

You could easily end up spending all day at CakeDeco. It is packed wall to wall with all sorts of fun and interesting things.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%