Here I Go Again....flavoring Mmf.

Decorating By Nexus Updated 8 Aug 2006 , 1:24am by Nexus

Nexus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nexus Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 6:17am
post #1 of 16

Okie dokies! icon_biggrin.gif
I bought a HUGE bag of marshmallows from BJs wholesale store. ha its awesome! its scary almost! And have decided to make my own fondant since wilton turned me off for well prolly the past 8 months to fondant. (I was afraid, so very afraid). But since the site I've noticed rave reviews on MMF. My question is....since I'm going to be doing now an anniversary cake. And prolly making it a specialty cake (just to use my talents) can i flavor the fondant? Or is it marshmallowy? Cuz i know my bfs parents dont mind marshmallow but unless i was going for a smores cake i dont think the marshmallow taste would work so well icon_biggrin.gif
Just curious, that'd be spiffy if i could! Oh if i can, i may have far far too much fun w/it.

*PS* One should take heed to the WARNING for the site! I CANT GO AWAY FROM IT!!! I stay up till 3am thinking..about cakes and what I can make them for....and what KINDS and frosting..and fondant and...ohhh boy! hehe
Im off..time for bed...im 45mins EARLY!

15 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 6:22am
post #2 of 16

Yep, this site can take up a lot of your time. Yes, you can add flavoring to MMF. If you make it plan, is just tastes sort of sweet. But you can add a complementary flavor when you add the water at the beginning of the batch. Just replace some of the water with your flavoring. Keep in mind that some flavorings also have a touch of color that could tint your fondant.

Nexus Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 2:04pm
post #3 of 16

Ok not a huge issue because I need to tint it an off whiteish color. Thanks for letting me know icon_biggrin.gif Im gonna go have fun w/my 2lbs of mini marshmallows! icon_biggrin.gif

jeanair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeanair Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 10:08pm
post #4 of 16

besides vanilla, butter, and almond flavorings used for icing where do I find other flavors. Can candy flavors be added. If so, how much?

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 10:17pm
post #5 of 16

I made a batch this weekend and put in a tablespoon of pure orange extract that I got at the grocery store and everyone loves it. I think this is how I might make it from now on!

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 10:41pm
post #6 of 16

Speaking of MMF...I don't have a lot of the tools needed and wondered if I could use a regular rolling pin (wooden) to roll out the MMF if I grease it with crisco...? icon_smile.gif

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 10:45pm
post #7 of 16

I just use my wooden rolling pin and it works fine! I either use Crisco or sometimes a little cornstarch.

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 10:57pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenm0712

Speaking of MMF...I don't have a lot of the tools needed and wondered if I could use a regular rolling pin (wooden) to roll out the MMF if I grease it with crisco...? icon_smile.gif

I've used my regular rolling pin up until the time just recently when I needed a round sheet of fondant about 24" across, I panicked because my pin is only 12" long and I was getting edge-marks. As I was panicking, I decided to put that energy to good use so I was down in my basement cleaning out my cake fridge, when up in the sky (well - up in the joists) I noticed a spare piece of pvc pipe that was about 3 feet long (after measuring it was revealed to be 33.25" long icon_lol.gif ) and I thought, hmmm....that is long, smooth, round, and I can put crisco on it and it won't soak in....why not give it a shot? Once my DH said nope he didn't know why it was up there, and nope he didn't need it, it became my newest cake tool!

Raisen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Raisen Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 11:08pm
post #9 of 16

I made MMF today for the first time...I added vanilla but also added the leftover orange Jello mix that I had. I've heard you can add 2oz of melted candy melts also.

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 1:05am
post #10 of 16

YAY! I wasn't sure if I could so I haven't attempted to make MMF. Looks like I have something to do tomorrow! icon_smile.gif

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 4:16am
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightsByE

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenm0712

I've used my regular rolling pin up until the time just recently when I needed a round sheet of fondant about 24" across, I panicked because my pin is only 12" long and I was getting edge-marks. As I was panicking, I decided to put that energy to good use so I was down in my basement cleaning out my cake fridge, when up in the sky (well - up in the joists) I noticed a spare piece of pvc pipe that was about 3 feet long (after measuring it was revealed to be 33.25" long icon_lol.gif ) and I thought, hmmm....that is long, smooth, round, and I can put crisco on it and it won't soak in....why not give it a shot? Once my DH said nope he didn't know why it was up there, and nope he didn't need it, it became my newest cake tool!

I haven't tried this YET, but really want a PVC pipe to use as a rolling pin! I have also seen someone on this site uses PVC with PVC caps on the ends. It works to make your fondant an even thickness.

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 5:08am
post #12 of 16

Wow! PVC pipe, huh? That's so great - who needs those $25+ big rolling pins sold specially for fondant?

I just finished doing my first MMF cake. I think I used too much cornstarch as it started to get reall tough toward the end. Putting shortening on the rolling pin would have helped. I'll try that next time.

The cake supply store around here sells lots of flavorings, and cheap compared to the grocery store. I got 2 oz of coconut flavor for $1.30 compared to the McCormicks Rum flavor from the grocery for $3.00. I might go back to the cake store and pick up a bunch of flavors to keep on hand.

koolaidstains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolaidstains Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 5:40am
post #13 of 16

I use my wooden rolling pin and I don't put anything on it. My mmf is usually pretty soft so that I can use cornstarch to roll it without it drying out. On one of the cake contests on foodnetwork someone used pvc to roll out fondant, very cool.

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 3:12pm
post #14 of 16

OK, I finally had a taste of the cake I made with MMF this weekend.
I had flavored the MMF with coconut to match the filling, but it was still very overly-sweet and overpowered the flavors in the cake.

How can I cut the sweetness, say in HALF? It was just too much for the cake. I've read to add salt, but doesn't salt usually end up bringing out the sweetness in things? (Why people salt watermelons and cantalopes?)

Would a different flavor have helped?

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 11:12pm
post #15 of 16

I do add salt to MMF when I make it...it cuts the sweetness greatly! I add it in while I am melting the marshmallow, not only to make sure it dissolves, but to make sure it is evenly distributed.

I can't remember exactly but I think it is about 1/2 tsp salt per recipe (16 oz. marshmallows)

HTH!
glenda

Nexus Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 1:24am
post #16 of 16

My oh MY! this lil thread took off!!! hehe all the little tips, i never thought about using a bit of salt i may have to try that!!!

Oh and i made two very small batches and it PASSED THE TASTE TEST! IE. the bf.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%