How Did You Decide On Your Business Name?

Business By 0TNIC Updated 20 Jun 2007 , 4:38pm by Elserj

0TNIC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
0TNIC Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 8:22pm
post #1 of 17

I know theres alot of people here who have a business or are starting one up....

What is your Business name and how/where did you get the name from?

Would be interesting to see some stories behind the names hehe! icon_biggrin.gif

16 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 8:28pm
post #2 of 17

Tier-riffic Cakes & Things

Tier-riffic --- my penchant for a bad pun on terrific using the "tier" from what we make when we make cakes.

& things -- so I can offer cheesecake, cookies, etc.

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 9:02pm
post #3 of 17

i just launched my biz officially this week. Sweet Water Bakehouse. I got the inspiration from an old tee shirt that i thought said "sweet water taffy" but when i went to look, it actually says "salt city taffy". lol. so i got my idea from a bad memory and an old tee! lol.

Daniellemhv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniellemhv Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 7:25am
post #4 of 17

L.E. Cake Shoppe. (Lake Erie Cake Shoppe)

I live on Lake Erie. My name is Danielle and my whole life my mother called me Ellie (Ellie Bells, Elly Belly.) So I abbreviated Lake Erie to L.E. so that it sounds like Ellie.

So its Lake Erie Cake Shoppe, but at the same time its Ellie Cake Shoppe.

Tartacadabra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tartacadabra Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 8:13am
post #5 of 17

Hi, fun to read all of this!! I wanted a name that was a bit different and also one suitable for Holland and for Spain (I am Dutch, my husband is Spanish and we have plan to emigrate to Spain), so just tossing and playing with words, I also had in mind the "message" behind my cakes, that magical feeling I felt when my grandma ordered her yearly birthday cake from the patissier, with marzipan and roses, looking so great!!
So then it became tartas + abracadabra (the magic part icon_wink.gif ) and there my name was "born" icon_wink.gif TARTACADABRA icon_biggrin.gif
I have seen lots of great names of course but I am still very happy with it also because I could now give my website the magical look like the Harry Potter books.

Good luck with yours!!

Lara

aine2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aine2 Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 8:52am
post #6 of 17

Mine isn't very original I don't think...The Icing on the Cake....and there is another one in England who is not related to me at all. My business is registered with "Scotland" on the end of it but I don't have to use it on a day to day basis. The phrase, the icing on the cake is used constantly so I always smile when I hear it! icon_lol.gif Extra Icing on the Cake was just another spin off for my blog. I thought of that all by myself! icon_rolleyes.gif (clever me! icon_lol.gif ) The Icing on the Cake was a suggestion of a Cookery teacher from the school I used to work at so I can't even say that I thought it up!

DarthLaurie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DarthLaurie Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 10:34am
post #7 of 17

Mine is A Touch of Sugar. I hadn't put too much thought into what I was going to call my business, but one day I was flipping through a cake magazine and saw A Pinch of Sugar which I thought was a great name and also made me think of my Nanna because when she used to bake she never measured her ingredients and she always used to say a pinch of sugar when she would measure it out. So, the next best thing for me was A Touch of Sugar! Good luck!

thecupcakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecupcakemom Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 10:53am
post #8 of 17

My business name: The Cupcake Mom. I have four kids. I always make elaborate cupcakes for all holidays at school (ground hog's day, back to school, etc). The kids in the class have always just called me "The Cupcake Mom." So, when I started my business, my daughter said this should be my name.

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 1:16pm
post #9 of 17

I made a list of potential names and then started researching them. I don't want one that is close to a trademarked name, etc. I have also done some research on what people thought of the names. I have it narrowed down and will be making my final selection soon.

peytonsmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peytonsmommy Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 1:41pm
post #10 of 17

I was pulling my hair out trying to come up w/ a name that wasn't already registered so I posted a bunch of ideas here and was getting kind of desperate. One I listed was Cake Paper (I also do custom photo cards in addition to cakes and wanted the "paper" part of the business included) and one of the great ladies here (Steph2325) suggested Paper Cakes and I thought that was great! I just combined it to make Papercakes. It's short and simple and I like it!

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 4:13pm
post #11 of 17

Mine's pretty long - Sweet Nothings by Meg. I really liked the idea of having my name incorporated in the business name. "Sweet Nothings" comes from a game my 4 yo dd and I have played at bedtimes for years. We take turns giving "sweet nothing" kisses all over each other's faces after lights-out. It's a special bond for us icon_smile.gif.

abeverley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abeverley Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 4:24pm
post #12 of 17

Mine is All Occasion Cakes by Amy but AKA registered as All Occasion Cakes.

DMCG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DMCG Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 4:25pm
post #13 of 17

My mother came up with the name for my business. We were sitting together tossing around names, and she suggested since everything now is "by design" we should have it "Cakes by Design" .
So there it is....

peeps311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peeps311 Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 4:27pm
post #14 of 17

I named myself "the cake chick" because my maiden name is Ciacciarelli (pronounced Chick-a-relli) and growing up everyone called me little chick. (youngest of 3). So far, don't really have much of a business except that I make cakes for my friends and family and I do have a website (thecakechick.com)... Someday maybe it will be officially a business and less a hobby....and then, maybe I can make money icon_smile.gif

MamaBerry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaBerry Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 4:27pm
post #15 of 17

I love science (as in creating chocolate and cakes takes a scientific background) and I have a love for sweets. I was reading an article that said a certain resturant was the spot to get your sweets at so that's how I came up with Sweetspot Desserts- Cakes & Chocolates.

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 4:34pm
post #16 of 17

Mine is Cake Crazy. Started up in January of this year. Little did I know I would be just that. I do about 12 cakes a week. I wanted a name with 2 C's in it. My logo is pink , and my car sirns are hot pink and my cake boxes are hot pink. My kindergartener calls me "the crazy cake lady". Which most weeks I am. I had 2 root canals done this morning, and I have 8 cakes to get out by Saturday. Lucky me!!

Elserj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elserj Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 4:38pm
post #17 of 17

Although I don't have a business yet, I do have a name picked out - Cupcake's Creations. I got the nickname cupcake one year because we gave each other "biker" names at work. It was a bike to work week city thing. They guys gave me the name Cupcake, and it stuck because of my boss's kids now call me that rather than my real name.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%