What Is The Best Kind Of Cookie Sheet?

Decorating By lmn4881 Updated 22 Jul 2007 , 11:25am by stacyyarger

lmn4881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmn4881 Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 6:14pm
post #1 of 39

Could someone please tellme what the best kind of cookie sheet is? Is it the ones with the edges on them or the really flat ones without the edges? Do they bake the same?

38 replies
debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 6:19pm
post #2 of 39

I "only" use the air bake without edges, I LOVE them, but it just may be personal preference? Have used those for years but we like the softer cookies so keep that in mind. I guess if you left them in longer you could get a crispy cookie. HTH

monkee73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monkee73 Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 6:20pm
post #3 of 39

I also use the air bake ones and love them!!!

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 6:21pm
post #4 of 39

I don't bake a single cookie without my Pampered Chef stones.

rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 6:22pm
post #5 of 39

I only use airbake and have for years!

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 6:23pm
post #6 of 39

I prefer to use the insulated cookie sheets like this one: http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&productId=613238

Cookies come out better looking (not as brown), and bake evenly using these. The raised edge helps grip the cookie sheet better. I have some that have the grip on the shorter side of the sheet but I prefer the ones that have it on the longer side.

I also have some commercial-weight ones (really heavy ones) made by Chicago Metallic but I still prefer to use the insulated cookie sheets over them.

shelbycompany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbycompany Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 6:25pm
post #7 of 39

I'm with mgdqueen. I only use the pampered chef stones. I actually just placed another order with them!! They are perfect for cookie bouquets too!

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 6:29pm
post #8 of 39

I always use my airbake cookie sheets. I also use parchment paper so that I can just slide them right off the cookie sheet onto the counter to cool. I always seem to mess up the cookies when I use a spatula to scrape them off.

I just ordered some Pampered Chef stones. I know that they are non-stick when they are well seasoned, but how are they brand new? Do cookies stick to them?

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 6:33pm
post #9 of 39

Miriel..........................THAT'S MY PAN !!!!!!!!!

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 6:35pm
post #10 of 39

The first time I used my stones, I did as directed...baked crescent rolls (rolled out) or high-fat cookie dough on them and made it into veggie pizza or dessert pizza. After that, I never had a problem.

D77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
D77 Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 6:35pm
post #11 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdqueen

I don't bake a single cookie without my Pampered Chef stones.

I agree 1000000000% My boyfriend wanted me to my chocolate chip cookies last night and wanted me to use "a regular" cookie sheet because he read in Pride magazine that was the best way to make them. Well I am sure it is fine but I DO NOT make cookies on anything but my stone. Needless to say he went with out cookies. hehehe icon_wink.gif I am bet he has learned his lesson on talking bad about my stones icon_biggrin.gif

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 6:46pm
post #12 of 39

I used regular cookie sheets from WalMart, but my sister just bought me to 2 of the Wilton airbake cookies sheets with only one side and they are wonderful! The cookies slide right off, even if I let them cool totally on the sheets. I'm usually not a huge fan of Wilton, but they make good cookie sheets!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 10:37pm
post #13 of 39

I use the Baker's Secret cookie sheets, they sell them at Wal-mart, target, and I have picked up some at the outlet kitchen stores for a great price. They have four sides but I LOVE they way that they bake so even. I always line them with parchment paper and the work great.

I have 6 large ones, 6 medium ones, and 3 small ones.

I personally haven't had good experience with my recipes on the PC stones, but not knocking them b/c I know some people swear by them, just not me.

MichelleM77 Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 3:26am
post #14 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

I use the Baker's Secret cookie sheets, they sell them at Wal-mart.........

Those are the ones I used until last week when I get the Wilton airbake ones. Big improvement!

rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 3:36am
post #15 of 39

Aren't the airbake ones great? I've had mine for several years but they were made by Rema Bakeware.

MaraCarter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaraCarter Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 3:46am
post #16 of 39

Im still searching for the perfect pan also. I have a mixture. I do have to say I hate the dark metal ones. Dont buy any dark ones. I always burn the cookies on them. And ditto on the use of parchment paper on your pan when you bake your cookies.

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 3:48am
post #17 of 39

I love baking my cookies on the polar ware sheets from sams' club - they come 2 in a pack for about 10 bucks, and they're awesome, I have 8 and want more! They do have the 1 inch raised sides like jelly roll pans, but they are a heavier gauge aluminum (?) or something - they bake evenly and I also use parchment on them.

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 6:08am
post #18 of 39

I'll admit I'm a bonafide cheapskate, but I've learned more expensive doesn't always equal a better quality utensil... Case in point... My cookie sheets..

My Ma got the same sheets from Betty Crocker... $19 each... I bought literally the same 1/2 sheet cookie sheets from Restaurant supply for $6.75 each. I LOVE them. They're sturdy, don't warp, clean beautifully, cook evenly, etc. etc. etc.

I had HORRIBLE luck with air bake pans because the cookies always came out flat regardless of the season. Not to mention if a pan tilts, there go the steaming hot cookies all over... It just wasn't as easy to work with for getting cookies off given the space, it's nice to move the pan around without getting burned.

lmn4881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmn4881 Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 7:55pm
post #19 of 39

Ok i just bought some insulated pans. Do you cook the cookies for the same anount of time and do i need to put a Silpat liner on it or is Parchment sufficient?

CranberryClo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CranberryClo Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 8:03pm
post #20 of 39

The best cookie sheet is one with warm cookies on it! icon_smile.gif

I like the air bakes, too!

Christy

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 8:32pm
post #21 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmn4881

Ok i just bought some insulated pans. Do you cook the cookies for the same anount of time and do i need to put a Silpat liner on it or is Parchment sufficient?

I use parchment paper - I roll and cut cookies on them before moving to the cookie sheet.

MichelleM77 Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 10:57pm
post #22 of 39

I had to up my baking time 2-4 minutes on the airbake sheets.

chocolateandpeanutbutter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolateandpeanutbutter Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 11:21pm
post #23 of 39

Almost nothing goes into my oven unless it's on or in Pampered Chef stoneware.

The flat stones make the best cookies ever. I bake them on parchment on the stones and then just slide the parchment, cookies and all, onto my cooling racks and then slide the next one on. They bake evenly and the texture of stone-baked cookies just cannot be beat.

The first batch often takes a little longer to bake, because the stone is heating up, but then the rest usually bake a bit faster, since they start baking as soon as they hit the stone.

No comparison - and I've tried 'em all. I really dislike non-stick cookie sheets, (or bakeware in general) because I've found that they have a tendency to burn, even at a lower temperature. And I have an insulated sheet, purchased before I found stoneware, but I found that the texture of the cookies seemed a little dry.

As for seasoning, just bake something fairly oily the first time, like mdgqueen suggested, and I still spray them if the recipe calls for a greased pan. The best way to season the bar pan is to cook bacon in it - separate the strips and lay them out (I usually scrunch it a little, because it shrinks) and bake at 400F for about 25 minutes. You'll never fry bacon again!

Sorry, I tend to ramble on about my stoneware - but I love it!!!

aggiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiecakes Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 12:47am
post #24 of 39

I too, use Pampered Chef stoneware - it is awesome!!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 2:48am
post #25 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolateandpeanutbutter

cook bacon in it - separate the strips and lay them out (I usually scrunch it a little, because it shrinks) and bake at 400F for about 25 minutes. You'll never fry bacon again!

Seriously, this is the best food tip I have EVER received. I had someone at a party I attended tell me and I have never put bacon in a frying pan again. My mom also did it in her cast iron skillets in the oven and doesn't fry bacon anymore either And she can make it soft for her and crispy for my dad without getting burnt.

I typically put it in the oven anywhere from 350-400 depending on how quickly I want to cook it. Then I just smell for it and then start checking every 5 mins.

Sorry to get off topic, this is just the best kitchen tip I ever received and wanted to make sure it wasn't missed!

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 4:30am
post #26 of 39

Wow, that is a great tip!

stacyyarger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacyyarger Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 1:06am
post #27 of 39

Hi, All!!! Where do you get the PC Stones at ? Is there a website that i can see them.

Thanks,
Stacy

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 3:03am
post #28 of 39

I love my professional grade 1/2 sheet baking sheets for making cakes, cookies, jelly rolls, brownies, cheesecake bars, oven fried chicken, baked french fries, you name it! Just line with parchment and you are ready to rock! I have three well-used ones, and they have been worth every penny, less than $20 for all three!
I also have air bake, non-stick and plain flat aluminum ones, but I never use them.

stacyyarger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacyyarger Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 2:59pm
post #29 of 39

FrostinGal where did you get your cookie sheets at?

Thanks,
Stacy

RitzyFritz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RitzyFritz Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 3:17pm
post #30 of 39

Well, I guess I'm a fence straddler because I love my airbakes as well as my PC stones! LOL! I do have to say, though, that I personally think I'm a little more partial to my airbakes because I DON'T like the stones being hot when I put my dough on it. I let my pans get cool before putting dough on it so it doesn't effect my cooking time. Letting the stone cool between batches would take too long. BUT, the cookies on the stone turn out great the first time around. You just have to be careful and not go by looks because if you do (they never burn or darken much on a stone) the cookie will be very, very dry and hard.

Edited to add: I haven't ever used parchment on the stones, however. I do use parchment on my airbakes (depending on the dough I'm using). Anyone use parchment on the stones or is that defeating the purpose?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%