Covering Cake Board - I Should Probably Know This!

Decorating By JulieBee Updated 20 Jun 2007 , 8:38pm by MrsMissey

JulieBee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieBee Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 12:33pm
post #1 of 43

Do you cover with foil, the cake board between two layers of cake? Or do you just place the uncovered cardboard between the layers.

Julie

42 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 12:43pm
post #2 of 43

Cover the board top and bottom so that you don't have grease weekening your boards.

mrsg1111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsg1111 Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 12:46pm
post #3 of 43

if you are making say a 2 tier cake and If your top tier is going to sit directly on the bottom cake then you would use the same size cake round for each cake and you wouldn't see the cake round in between cakes at all. If you see the edges then you could cover it with a border. You would use a fancy cake round to put the cake whole cake on or you could cover the cake rounds with foil.

Hope that helps. icon_biggrin.gif

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 12:47pm
post #4 of 43

I also cover the top and bottom with clear contact paper....if you don't, as peg818 stated, the grease will weaken your boards tremendously!

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 12:50pm
post #5 of 43

I use grease proof boards so there is no need to cover the board that goes in between the two cakes.

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 12:56pm
post #6 of 43

MrsMissey, where do you get your grease proof boards?

MrsMissey Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 12:59pm
post #7 of 43

...I have an account with CK Products.

sweetbaker Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 1:01pm
post #8 of 43

Ok, thanks.

MrsMissey Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 1:02pm
post #9 of 43
MaMaCreates3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaMaCreates3 Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 1:03pm
post #10 of 43

Does anyone have any tricks on covering the base cake board? I bought a big box of cardboard pizza rounds and hot glued about five together, What is the best & prettiest thing to cover it with and what is the best way to adhere it? Thanks so much!!

mrsg1111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsg1111 Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 3:31pm
post #11 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaMaCreates3

Does anyone have any tricks on covering the base cake board? I bought a big box of cardboard pizza rounds and hot glued about five together, What is the best & prettiest thing to cover it with and what is the best way to adhere it? Thanks so much!!

You can cover it with foil then ribbon or if you are covering your cakes with fondant, you could use fondant to cover the board.

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 5:20pm
post #12 of 43

I cover my boards with contact paper (top and bottom), then apply fondant on the top (with embossed design, painting, etc. to match the cake).

didavista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didavista Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 5:25pm
post #13 of 43

Adding a different line to this subject. What do you all use for the bottom base that is strong enough to support big cakes. I hate having to tape a bunch of boards together. And I don't want to spend a fortune either. My DH suggested a piece of wood, covered very well of course. I am beginning to think yeah maybe, but don't know about the food safe issue? What are your opinions?

miriel Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 6:14pm
post #14 of 43

I use 1/2" foam core as the base board for most cakes. For the really big ones, masonite board. I cover all of them with contact paper then decorated fondant on top.

sweettoothcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothcakes Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 6:18pm
post #15 of 43

I think as long as you cover the wood board with foil or contact paper you will be fine. My boss at a country club that I used to work for used wooden cake rounds for the bottom.

ccwkg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccwkg Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 6:23pm
post #16 of 43

miriel, I have been thinking about using foam core. Where do you buy yours?

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 6:27pm
post #17 of 43

I use MDF boards covered with contact paper. It's hard to find masonite where I live.

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 6:28pm
post #18 of 43

To answer almost all the questions lol...

When I have to have a board between cakes I cover the board with clear contact paper just as I would with foil, then I pipe around to hide the edges.

Bottom boards... I cover with foil or contact paper and wrapping paper and another layer of clear contact paper because most wrapping paper isn't food safe but contact paper is.

Sturdy bottoms.... my husband is a carpenter and brings me home scrap wood all the time. He cuts them to fit whatever I need. I'll take a regular cake board and cut it to match the cake and then he'll use that as a template to mark the wood for cutting. Normally it's a thick piece of plywood or in some rare cases I get really expencive wood icon_biggrin.gif lol With the wood, I cover with contact paper - any kind just to hide it - and then I'll cover with foil or decorative paper to match the cake theme, which is then covered in clear contact paper.

CakesbyMonica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyMonica Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 6:33pm
post #19 of 43

I went to my local home store and purchased wood rounds (not Home Depot, theirs are too big) for $2-$5 each. Each has a hole in the middle my DH drilled for me. When I need a cake board I grab the size I need, cover it with wrapping, cakeboard or contact paper, shove a dowel through it as high as the cake will be and start building. You have to mushroom the end of it a little by hitting it against a solid surface. I have about 5 of them, a 6, 8,10, 12, 14 and I think maybe a bigger one floating around here somewhere.... I only had one cake that went to someone I didn't know so far, and I charged them a deposit ($20) to insure return of my board.

miriel Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 6:33pm
post #20 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccwkg

I get mine at Michael's when they are on sale. Doug posted this link to AC Moore having a sale with $1 foam core today. http://www.acmoore.com/Newsletter/newsletter_2007-06-19_50.htm

giggysmack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giggysmack Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 6:41pm
post #21 of 43

I've heard of using dollar store vinyl table cloths to cover the bottom board. I haven't tried it yet but I will soon.

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 7:00pm
post #22 of 43

I like the logicpic.com boards and support system...I don't have to cover the boards, they don't weaken, and the bases can be wrapped with ribbon to match any cake. Much easier than all that wrapping--anything to save me time!

I also like the Wilton silver cake drums at Michaels, but most of my brides are going with the white base rather than the silver this year.

ccwkg Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 7:17pm
post #23 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by miriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccwkg

I get mine at Michael's when they are on sale. Doug posted this link to AC Moore having a sale with $1 foam core today. http://www.acmoore.com/Newsletter/newsletter_2007-06-19_50.htm

does it take a special tool to cut them?

miriel Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 7:23pm
post #24 of 43

I use an exacto knife to cut them. Some use a heated exacto knife which makes it a lot easier to do.

miriel Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 7:30pm
post #25 of 43
ccwkg Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 7:34pm
post #26 of 43

how cool! Thanks a bunch thumbs_up.gif

sweetbaker Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 7:44pm
post #27 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMissey

Here is a website where you could order them also:

http://www.brenmarco.com/supermarket/SUPERMARKET%20LARGE%20PAGES/cakecircles.htm

Thanks.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 7:58pm
post #28 of 43

I use wax cake boards for in-between layers. Then I use the 1/2 silver cake drums since I sculpt and can pound the dowel(s) through for sturdiness. When I cover my cake drums, I use fondant and finish it off with a ribbon around the edge.

There have been exceptions and I have used, tiles, wood boards, masonite, mirrors and glass. HTH

Leahmaria7981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leahmaria7981 Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 8:19pm
post #29 of 43

If you were using a metallic foil wrapping paper, do you still need to cover it with clear contact paper?

cakesbyjackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjackie Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 12:47am
post #30 of 43

The benefit of having a full time job at a cabinet shop is...my cakes (over 8" OR stacked) sit on 3/4" plywood which is then covered in some sort of paper and clear contact paper.

And to the original questions, I always wrap my cardboard rounds in either contact paper or saran wrap to keep them from getting greasy - plus it makes it easier to get them off of the cake when it's time to cut.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%