Chocolate Dipped Cupcakes

Decorating By randipanda Updated 25 Jun 2007 , 5:15pm by randipanda

randipanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
randipanda Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 2:37am
post #1 of 23

Anyone know how the hi-hat/high-top cupcakes are done? If you don't know what I am talking about I will attach a link. The basic idea is you frost the top of the cupcake with a mousse or cream (I think) and then the top is dipped in chocolate, so it ends up looking like one of those dip cones you get from Dairy Queen. This is a picture of the cross section view:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/99737825@N00/446261753/in/photostream/

So much for the general idea, but how exactly? Is it just tempered Chocolate kept warm? A ganache? Will any mousse do? Anyone made these?

22 replies
randipanda Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 2:40am
post #2 of 23
crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 2:50am
post #3 of 23

I don't know but they sure look good!

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 5:19am
post #4 of 23

It should be couverture or tempered chocolate, so it will set to a crisp coating. Some coating chocolates may be available to you that do not require tempering

Brujalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brujalita Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 5:51am
post #5 of 23

I followed the second link above until I came upon this recipe at this link:

http://nataliecakes.wordpress.com/2007/05/22/the-best-chocolate-cupcakes/

Any mousse-type recipe should work as long as it could set in the refrigerator before being dunked in chocolate.

Hope this link helps.

Liz

princesscris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesscris Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 5:54am
post #6 of 23

Here is a good link on how to temper chocolate - I found it really easy to follow and worked a treat:

www.abc.net.au/tv/cookandchef/txt/s1930674.htm

The conversions from deg C to deg F are:
43 to 46 deg C = 110 to 115 deg F
35 to 38 deg C = 95 to 100 deg F.

Kind regards,
Cris.

missnnaction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loveqm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loveqm Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 7:17am
post #8 of 23

wow...I have never seen these b4 they look so cool! I learn more things everyday here on CC.

monizcel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monizcel Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 10:28am
post #9 of 23

I would use tempered chocolate. In the past I've taken DH icing in the tub, and warmed it in the microwave for a few seconds and then dipped the cupcakes in there. They come out great and are an easy alternative if you don't have buttercream or melted chocolate handy.

randipanda Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 2:03pm
post #10 of 23

Goodness, I don't know how I couldn't find that recipe! I'm not very familiar with Flickr is my best excuse-there are soooo many links on those pages!

Thanks for the tip on the warmed canned frosting, that'll be a good alternative in a pinch. And I'll definately try that method of tempering chocolate, I tried the more traditional way last week-where you melt all of it and take out part and put it on a board and spread it out and work it until it cools and then add it back to the whole. Worked, but really messy.

Martha Stewart's page looks great, too! Yea!! I can't wait to try them.

What kind of chocolate can you use that you wouldn't have to temper?

USMC_SGTs_Lady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
USMC_SGTs_Lady Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 5:02pm
post #11 of 23

those are such cute cupcakes and look soooo good! definitly going to have to try to make these sometime...such a good idea with just melting DH frosting and dipping htem in that also!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 5:52pm
post #12 of 23

Someone just posted a pic in the gallery and said the recipe came from some book called "cupcakes" or something. Here is the link
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=669433

randipanda Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 6:36pm
post #13 of 23

I think that is the book that martha stewart referenced on the video on her site. They do look good and it is nice to know other people have actually done it.

cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakes Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 8:51pm
post #14 of 23

Thank you so much for the Martha Stewart Link missnnaction. You could click on the video and watch Martha make this cupcake. I am going to try this one!

missnnaction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missnnaction Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 9:27pm
post #15 of 23

No problem cupcakes, glad that I could help.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 9:58pm
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by randipanda

What kind of chocolate can you use that you wouldn't have to temper?

Candy Melts and Candy Bark do not have to be tempered icon_smile.gif

kris_813 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kris_813 Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 10:20pm
post #17 of 23

Don't just let them sit in the freezer to set for a few minutes. I would suggest over night. If the marshmallow on top isn't hard when you go to dip it, you will have a huge mess on your hand. I know, it happened to me once.

randipanda Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 11:09pm
post #18 of 23

Do you need the freezer or will the fridge do? I do not have a big freezer, just the one on top my fridge and it is chock full of hamburger and chicken and veggies and ice cream and juice and popsicles and etc. A deep freeze is first on my list of to buys when we get out of this little apartment. 6 months left!

kris_813 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kris_813 Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 11:17pm
post #19 of 23

You could try it, but I think the freezer would work better. The tops really need to be hard if you're going to dip them in warm candymelts or chocolate. Please, to avoid getting mad and making a big mess, wait until you have a little room in the freezer.

randipanda Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 1:38am
post #20 of 23

I never have room in my freezer. Uck. I need more room.

cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakes Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 2:02am
post #21 of 23

I played around with this by using buttercream that had crusted. I was able to dip it and it came out really good for a first try. I am going to make up some more cupcakes and try again. I thought maybe a choc. buttercream would work well. I also want to pipe it higher on my cupcake to get the effect. Thanks to everyone for sharing.This is such a great idea. I think I am going to buy the book although when I looked for it on Amazon the reviews for the book had quite a few negative reviews. I would love to know if anyone has the book and really likes it. I love this cupcake idea and would love to know if the rest of the book will be as good as this idea.

monizcel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monizcel Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 1:15pm
post #22 of 23

For the DH canned frosting, just warm for about 10 seconds or so. You don't want it too thin...it's better when slightly thicker so that it sticks nicely.

randipanda Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 5:15pm
post #23 of 23

I ended up trying this for a BBQ this weekend. Everyone loved them. Quite a few people went back for seconds! I ended up doing the martha stewart 7 minute frosting for about half of them, which I loved! But I love 7 minute frosting to begin with. The other half I made with a peanut butter buttercream with some chopped peanut butter cups stirred in. The peanut butter cups made it awful hard to pipe, I didn't have a big enough tip anyways, but it tasted wonderful! I have alot of extra frosting and I keep eating a spoonful or so on occasion. I normally don't like frosting by itself that much. I'll try to post picture later, but I haven't downloaded the photos yet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%