Flower Nail In Sheet Cake--Grease Or Not??

Decorating By ogolds Updated 5 Aug 2006 , 10:28pm by Briarview

ogolds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ogolds Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 10:56pm
post #1 of 20

OK, I'm getting ready to bake my first sheet cake, and I've read a lot on here about putting a flower nail in the center of the pan to help it bake more evenly. Sounds pretty simple. But now that I'm ready to do it, I'm starting to wonder--do you grease and flour it or just put it in the pan as is??

Thanks in advance for your help!

19 replies
lcottington Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lcottington Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 11:00pm
post #2 of 20

I just put it pointy side up in the already greased and floured pan and then pour my batter around it...good luck!

ladyday95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyday95 Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 11:01pm
post #3 of 20

I usually spray with cooking spray and place in point up...

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 11:02pm
post #4 of 20

I spray mine with Pam.

Cindy

Molliebird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molliebird Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 11:03pm
post #5 of 20

I put my flower nail in my pan after I have greased my pan and then I spray the entire flower nail with Bake Easy. It works great and is very easy to remove when you flip your cake out.

sharibearie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharibearie Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 11:04pm
post #6 of 20

I just made a 16" round and used two flower nails...just to be safe! icon_lol.gif I greased and floured like normal and then stuck them in the grease, flat side down. The one thing I would change would be the fact that I didn't grease the nail part! It took cake with it when it came out...grrrrrrrr. icon_mad.gif Oh well...live and learn! Good luck! It worked like a charm...no soggy middle!

ogolds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ogolds Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 11:10pm
post #7 of 20

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I just stepped away to mix up the first cake mix, and now I know what to do! You all are great!

qtkaylassweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtkaylassweets Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 11:12pm
post #8 of 20

Do you guys only use the flower nail or do you also use a heating core also?

I have another anniversary cake due next friday and I need to make a 16" round, 14" round and 12" round.

Every time I use the heating core on these big cakes, it does not seem to be cooked.
I have never tried the lower nail.

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 11:18pm
post #9 of 20

I grease and flour the nail and for 14" and larger cakes I usually put a big nail and two smaller onesin the pan.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 11:20pm
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtkaylassweets

I have another anniversary cake due next friday and I need to make a 16" round, 14" round and 12" round.

Every time I use the heating core on these big cakes, it does not seem to be cooked.

I never have a problem with the heating core. I actually prefer it to the flower nail. What temperature are you baking at? That seems really odd as the heating cores help to cook the cake from the inside out.

qtkaylassweets Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 11:27pm
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake_Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtkaylassweets

I never have a problem with the heating core. I actually prefer it to the flower nail. What temperature are you baking at? That seems really odd as the heating cores help to cook the cake from the inside out.

I bake at 350.
It always happens when I do 12" or larger cakes.

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 11:27pm
post #12 of 20

How does the heating core work? Does it leave a big hole in the cake? I have no clue. Biggest cake I've ever made so far was a 10" round and some 9X13's.

qtkaylassweets Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 11:32pm
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by arosstx

How does the heating core work? Does it leave a big hole in the cake? I have no clue. Biggest cake I've ever made so far was a 10" round and some 9X13's.

It does leave a hole but you put cake batter in the middle of it and bake it in the cake. Then when you take it out, take out what is inside of the core and place it in the hole in the cake.

ladyday95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyday95 Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 11:38pm
post #14 of 20

I have never tried a heating core... for bigger cakes I add more flower nails and sometimes the heat strips on outside of pan...

tbittner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbittner Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 11:41pm
post #15 of 20

I actually spray the flower nail with pam and put it down before my parchment, I then poke it through the parchment. I don't end up with any dents and a small hole but a completely cooked cake! That is what works for my sheet cakes and 1/2 sheets.

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 11:45pm
post #16 of 20

Ahhhhh....I get it now. I love this website! I think I learn so much here. Yesterday was my first experience w/ FBCT - all because of CC! I will say it worked (sort of), and had I not been here, I wouldn't have even KNOWN there was such a thing! Thanks for all the help guys.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 4:33am
post #17 of 20

I never thought about putting the nail in under the parchment, but it makes perfect sense. I always coat the entire flower nail with cake release or grease and flour. To get it out after cooling the cake I just give it a twist. I have the large flower nail I use for bigger cakes, like more than a 12". I have used a heating core but don't care to mess with that if the nail works so well.

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 12:36pm
post #18 of 20

qtkaylassweets, try baking your larger cakes at 325. They will take longer but will cook better. Make sure you have an oven thermometer so you have an accurate baking temp. I know my 14in cakes take about 1hr 15-25 mins.

campbelland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
campbelland Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 8:24pm
post #19 of 20

I have done them both ways, grease and no grease. One time I just forgot to do it and it worked. But....to be safe I always spray mine with some of the flour/grease spray. I use more than one in the big sheet cakes and the big round cakes too. I also use the bake even strips. Sandy

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 10:28pm
post #20 of 20

I have been reading all your posts with great interest and would love to try these flower nails.
I have been doing some searching for these nails but cannot find where to purchase them here in New Zealand. Could you tell me what I should be looking for, size, what are they made of, should they be stainless steel (read somewhere on CC about these) and perhaps if I can't get them here I could purchase them from the US but I know the shipping will kill them. There are so many things there that I would love and I feel like a littlie in a lolly shop and wish I had your wonderful supplies here! Look forward to your replies. Cheers

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%