Luster Dust On Bc

Decorating By gilson6 Updated 5 Aug 2006 , 12:47pm by ChristaPaloma

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 2:42pm
post #1 of 11

Is is possible to use Luster Dust on Buttercream? I have a customer that wants the look of luster dust but doesn't want fondant.

10 replies
luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 4:05pm
post #2 of 11

Good question. Have you done a search in the forums? I think I've seen this question before.

Here's a bump for you

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 4:06pm
post #3 of 11

Yes..I have used it on Crusted BC...Works good!!

marcimang Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marcimang Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 4:08pm
post #4 of 11

I have done this before. Just make sure your icing has crusted and use a brush with soft bristles to apply it. I used a small unused blush brush. It didn't leave bristle or stroke marks in the icing.
HTH

melxcloud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melxcloud Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 4:08pm
post #5 of 11

Does the customer want it on the whole cake or just on accent pieces? Maybe you could use cake sparkles if on the whole cake. You could try just brushing on a little dab of crusted BC on a piece of aluminum foil or something like that just to see how it works out.
It really depends on what look you are going for.

gilson6 Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 6:02pm
post #6 of 11

I have a cake that I'm proposing to someone and it has gold diamonds on it. They don't want fondant so I though about drawing the diamonds on the buttercream and filling them in with gold luster dust. It would really just be used on the accent/decorations. The icing will be an ivory color.

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 6:07pm
post #7 of 11

It sounds very pretty!

gidgetsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gidgetsmom Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 6:12pm
post #8 of 11

Just so happens I couldn't sleep last night so I was going back through a Colette Peter's book. In it was a cake that had lots of buttercream garlands and decorations that had been painted with luster dust. What her instructions said was just to make sure the bc was really crusted and use a light touch and soft brush - just like marcimang said...

gilson6 Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 6:35pm
post #9 of 11

I'm going to try and find the time to do a practice cake this weekend. Thanks for everyone's help!

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 12:25pm
post #10 of 11

I used Luster dust on a princess cake on top of buttercream--yes let it crust well then use a very soft brush to put it on.

ChristaPaloma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristaPaloma Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 12:47pm
post #11 of 11

Hi all...
I've just started posting here. Thanks all so much for sharing your tips! I just did my first wedding cakes and got a lot from this site.

Re the luster dust...I havn't had a chance to experiment but my class instructor adviced us to crush it smaller for the best effect... don't know if that is necessary but your luster dust will definitely go further.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%