What Is Your Bus. Type? Sole Propritership, Llc...ect???

Business By peacockplace Updated 22 Jun 2007 , 12:29am by squarepair

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 4:45pm
post #1 of 26

For those of you who have a liscensed business, what type of business do you have? I'm trying to choose a business structure and I'd really appreciate your help or suggestions.

25 replies
Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 4:48pm
post #2 of 26

I am setting up an LLC for my catering business.

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 4:54pm
post #3 of 26

I am incorporated per suggestion of my tax lady

seraphim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seraphim Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 5:00pm
post #4 of 26

I don't know if this helps as I am in the UK but as of this week I am a sole trader!

And so pleased about it!!

peacockplace Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 8:55pm
post #5 of 26

Thank you for your replies. I hope more people will answer this question. I really want to see what the majority is. icon_biggrin.gif

Also, if you don't want to post it, a PM would be helpful. thumbs_up.gif

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 11:22pm
post #6 of 26

Just starting my business and by advice of my accountant....i'm incorporated!!

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 11:36pm
post #7 of 26

I am a sole proprietor. Registered in January.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 11:46pm
post #8 of 26

I haven't registered and according to what I've read, that makes me a Sole Proprietor. Not sure if those rules are by state or that's what it is for the US in general.

peacockplace Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 2:17am
post #9 of 26

Thank you all so much! I was just wondering if your businesses were bakeries with employees or just you working solo?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 2:51am
post #10 of 26

I was a sole proprietor for years and years. Became an LLC about a year ago. I have people who work for me.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 2:53am
post #11 of 26

Subchapter S Corporation. We are going to the tax man next week who may recommend another org.plan based on opening the new shop.

idoweddingcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idoweddingcookies Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 2:58am
post #12 of 26

I'm a sole proprietor, not sure how it works in the US, but in Canada, the downfall of being a sole proprietor is that if someone becomes sick from your product, they can sue you (the person) and go after all your assets if you don't have enough insurance. Incorporation means they can only go after company assets. Is this how it is in the US as well?

I hope to become incorporated at the end of the first year.
No employees just me.

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 3:17am
post #13 of 26

Idoweddingcookies,
Yes, sole proprietorship is the same in the U.S. Being incorporated is a bit more expensive at start-up but a lot safer in my opinion.

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 3:28am
post #14 of 26

im a sole proprietor! this week is my first official week in business! im just myself, no employees. i expect this year to be a loss for me, as i've had several large start up purchases, so the benefit is that the loss will be deducted from my personal taxable income. it will lower my tax liability for this year. maybe in the future i will go llc.

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 3:50pm
post #15 of 26

I'm an LLC here in Michigan ~ that protects our personal assets.

peacockplace Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 8:50pm
post #16 of 26

I read somewhere that if you are an LLC that the letters LLC have to follow your business name. So if I advertise or make cards do I have to have LLC written on everything?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 8:58pm
post #17 of 26

My LLC is actually the management (parent) company. I then have multiple companies under that umbrella. So it's "XYZ Mgmt, LLC DBA Cater It Simple" (or DBA other company names). All legalese is done in the parent company name. The LLC was set up so I could easily form DBA companies as needed. (That's why I had an attorney do it all as opposed to doing myself.)

CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 1:16am
post #18 of 26

I am a sole proprietor for 7 years as a custom cake shop with one employee.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 12:08pm
post #19 of 26

I'm registered as sole prop for now.

vitomiriam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitomiriam Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 2:09pm
post #20 of 26

The laws vary from state. I would check with an attorney or perhaps you can find out on your own by doing a little research. Usually your state's secretary of state handles corporate filings, etc. Maybe you can call them and someone can inform you.

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 3:52pm
post #21 of 26

My father (also my accountant, with 30 years experience in family-run businesses) suggested I start out as a Sole Proprietor. If/when I get larger, then I can move to a corporation or LLC.

peacockplace Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 1:29am
post #22 of 26

I just wanted to say thank you to all of you for replying! It has given me a good idea of how others in my situation are handeling things! thumbs_up.gif You guys are the best!

turnerdmann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turnerdmann Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 1:45am
post #23 of 26

I am in the process of setting everything up. I am now a "LLC". This appears on my business lincense and bank account. I already had business cards printed so they do not include "LLC" but everything else does, and new cards will include it also.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 3:08am
post #24 of 26

i was an "s" corp....but good grief who needs the paperwork?

i'm a sole prop now.

jessi01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessi01 Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 12:08pm
post #25 of 26

Im sorry, but what are the differances? My husband thinks I should go the sole proprietor way Or nothing like I am now just working out of my kitchen icon_confused.gif any one have any helpful opinions? so far I have buisness cards but haven't given many out and I have only done 3 paid orders but have two more on my calender. I just want to do what is right and legal!

squarepair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
squarepair Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 12:29am
post #26 of 26

I am working out of my own kitchen also and am my only employee (well DH helps sometimes but I don't pay him in cashicon_wink.gif I am an LLC, cost me $100 but protects my personal assests. Also since I have no employees I can file my business taxes with my personal taxes.

Kristin

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%