Diasterous Baking Experience-Long Tale Of Woe

Decorating By greenhorn Updated 10 Aug 2006 , 4:10am by Cake_Princess

greenhorn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greenhorn Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 1:59am
post #1 of 16

It was finally cool enough to turn on the oven for a change and EVERYONE in the house was occupied.....TIME TO BAKE! icon_smile.gif I have been dying to try the Killer Chocolate Cake recipe so today was the day. I spent the early part of the afternoon happily mixing my ingredients and popped my pans into the oven. I sat down in front of the computer and wandered to CC to see what everyone else was up to and promptly lost track of time. icon_eek.gif After about 15 minutes, the dog was baking frantically in the kitchen and kids who had been entertaining themselves, were hollering. My cakes were bubbling out of their pans and into the bottom of the oven...overflowing everywhere!!!! icon_cry.gif By the time I got rid of the dog and children, the smoke was billowing from the oven. Not being one to waste a potentially good cake, I decided to put a pan in the bottom of the oven to catch the drips and let the cakes continue to cook. It took 45 minutes, with the windows open, the fire alarms disconnected, the dog locked in the garage, and the children sent off to the park, but the cakes cooked. icon_surprised.gif I made the chocolate buttercream dream frosting in the midst of the burning cake. I iced one of the layers after dinner and froze one for later. The happy ending to this llong tale of woe is that this was the best chocolate cake I have ever eaten. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif My DH is not a cake eater and LOVED it! thumbs_up.gif He said he may even forgive the buring stench that I can't seem to get rid of in my kitchen. icon_redface.gif Thanks for listening to me vent. Now back to cleaning the oven! tapedshut.gif

15 replies
cindww Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindww Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 2:05am
post #2 of 16

good story..hah! I'll have to give this cake a try..sounds really good!

Cindy

klkhoneycutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klkhoneycutt Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 2:13am
post #3 of 16

i am sorry u had that happen but i am glad it had a happy ending icon_biggrin.gif

sugarbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbaker Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 3:14am
post #4 of 16

You are sooo funny, I could just picture this whole episode happening icon_lol.gif I am glad all turned out well.

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 12:34pm
post #5 of 16

What an adventure! At least you salvaged the cake and it was awesome. Big thumbs up for using your head! LOL. thumbs_up.gif

greenhorn Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 12:47pm
post #6 of 16

Cindww...pay close attention to how full you fill your pans! The directions state to fill "just a little more than you normally would". I must already overfill!

SkisInOkinawa...it is truely an awesome cake...I waited until everyone left this morning, then had some more for breakfast!

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 12:49pm
post #7 of 16

What size pans did you bake in? That cake sounds wonderful!!!

Cindy

greenhorn Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 12:56pm
post #8 of 16

I used a 10" and 8" round, 2" deep. I clearly had enough batter to do a 6" also. The batter is extremely thin. My helpers were almost "drinking" the leftovers.

cindy6250 Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 1:02pm
post #9 of 16

I will have to try that recipe. It sounds great!! Did you use the coffee or water in yours? I usually put coffee if called for, I think it enhances the chocolate flavor.

Cindy

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 1:03pm
post #10 of 16

I use this chocolate cake all the time. My family, friends think it is the best chocolate they have ever eaten.

greenhorn Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 7:30pm
post #11 of 16

I used the water instead of the coffee, only because there are no coffee drinkers in the house. Has anyone tried the coffee version? The recipe stated that if you used the coffee version, the cake would be ultra moist. I found it to be quite moist with just the water. If it were any more moist, it would almost be sticky.

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 7:45pm
post #12 of 16

The coffee version is the one I use. I found it to be quite moist, but not sticky. I think the coffee adds richness to the chocolate.

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 3:49pm
post #13 of 16

that has happened to me before. only i dont let the cake finish cooking. inevitably its always a customers cake that needs to be re done. what recipe id that cake. is it on here.

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 3:37am
post #14 of 16

Lucy.......you got splainin to do!!!

Hey..that got a big chuckle from me...a Lucy episode...if she had computers back then...

Where is this recipe ? It sounds delicious....

cindy6250 Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 3:45am
post #15 of 16

The recipe is in the recipe section under chocolate cakes. Here is the link:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2182-Killer-Chocolate-Cake.html

Cindy

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 4:10am
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn

It was finally cool enough to turn on the oven for a change and EVERYONE in the house was occupied..... After about 15 minutes, the dog was baking frantically in the kitchen

Baking dogs? Where do we find one of those? Does it clean up too? LOL... sorry I could not resist.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%