Ugh!! Another Impossible Cake Request!! H-E-L-P!!!!

Decorating By sugartopped Updated 3 Aug 2006 , 4:05pm by ge978

sugartopped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugartopped Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 1:21am
post #1 of 24

I'm having NO luck lately!! Here is the latest cake requested from my bride. She wants it to be 2 tiers in PINK w/the gold 'crown'. Both tiers will be decorated the same. I'm kinda lost on how to do the 'jeweled' part w/the all the gold 'bling' (as she put it). She said she wants LOTS of bling....pink bling!!

UGH!! HELP!!

I've ordered some medallion mods but I'm just not sure they are going to work. This girl is VERY, VERY picky....so I would like to get as close to the pic as possible!

*Moderator Edited to remove scanned image!*
LL

23 replies
redsoxgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redsoxgirl Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 1:26am
post #2 of 24

i'm not sure if this will help but this website sells candy "bling" : )

http://www.thejewelsofdenial.com

sugartopped Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 1:29am
post #3 of 24

Thanks, cool site!! But I think they may a little too big??

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 6:32am
post #4 of 24

Get some pearl dust and some gold dust and start painting! I'd make a pastillage crown to go round the cake. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

redsoxgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redsoxgirl Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 6:59am
post #5 of 24

rock candy??? might that work???

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 9:46am
post #6 of 24

I'm sorry, but that is the strangest wedding cake I've ever seen.

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 10:06am
post #7 of 24

I agree with SaraJane, my first thought was this is a very strange request for a wedding cake. I could see if the crown was maybe just the topper, but the whole cake? Good luck with this and please post pictures!

deb

ahuvas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahuvas Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 12:38pm
post #8 of 24

I was going to write it earlier today but I tohught it mmight be rude but that is a pretty ugly cake ... then again some people like to be non-tradional on their wedding ...

spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 12:47pm
post #9 of 24

That is a strange request. I would look at it as a challenge I guess. I love all your work and I am sure it will turn out incredible!!

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 12:49pm
post #10 of 24

Good luck! You'll do fine..that's just a lot of luster dust, lol. Can't wait to see your version!

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 12:49pm
post #11 of 24

There was a thread a while back about making your own candy jewels using candy molds with crushed and heated hard candies. Send a PM to Doug. He's down here with us in FL right now but I know he's been on and off even though he's on vacation. He will be able to point you right to it. It didn't sound impossible and I know the thread had a link to a site that sold the jewel candy molds.

Ladivacrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladivacrj Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 12:54pm
post #12 of 24

If this is going to be the cake I would love to see the wedding and brides maids dresses.

Sounds like a job for some pastillage, royal and fondant. And a lot of painting and dusting.

Also for jewels, there has been a lot of talk about this lately. Several threads about what to use like jolly ranchers and clear hard candies.

hth, post pics when your done.

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 1:00pm
post #13 of 24
ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 1:04pm
post #14 of 24

I'm not really knowledgeable about cake jewels, etc, but is it possible to hand mold them out of fondant or gumpaste & use colored luster dust on them? cakesbysam.com has a big selection of different dusts like red, green, blue, etc. Not sure if it would work, but just an idea.

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 1:16pm
post #15 of 24

Yes, they can be done with fondant and gumpaste. I was in a class with Cindww, and she did a wonderful pillow cake with jewels on them. It was absolutely gorgeous.

nenufares Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nenufares Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 1:18pm
post #16 of 24

Caes with bling!!! ... You need to take a look at Margaret Braun's cakes:
www.margaretbraun.com I attached a picture of her pink and gold cake.

There is another page you might want to see:
http://www.culpitt.com

there is a gold baroque cake under "how to" / "decorating" / "advanced"

nenufares Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nenufares Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 1:20pm
post #17 of 24

Forgot to attach the pictures... icon_redface.gif
LL
LL

sugartopped Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 1:24pm
post #18 of 24

yes, the cake is....well.....different!! she had orginially wanted a HUGE 5 tier cake (but she is only having 30 people at her wedding).....so she said she wanted a cake that was going to make a 'statement'!! I told her this would def. make a statement!!!

I'm not too worried about anything but the jeweled part!! I checked out the denial jewels again.....I'm just going to have to call them and find out how big they actually are!

Thanks, for the help! The cake is for August 18, so not really too much time to figure it out!

WOW!! LOVE the Margret Braun Cakes...but def. don't want to show her that site....she's been hard enough to please and those cake...WAY out of my league!!

TOMAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TOMAY Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 1:26pm
post #19 of 24

thumbs_up.gif
I looked at the original cake off of bonnies cakes . it looks to be all fondant painted. What I would do is give her the pink bling by painting the fondant draped on top with pink luster dust by using orchid pink or rose pink C&K dust. Create your sides by coloring your fondant a light gold color and then start painting the gold dust all over. Give her pearls all over different shades painted in dust. Put some edible glitter. Make it look rich. Use heart molds and fondant and embellish with over piping and lots of luster dust. The tops of the crown on bonnies site appears to be flower shapes lustra dusted and embellished with pearls. I have a hydrangea cutter that looks exactly like the tops of that cake. The finial on top looks like a half circle mold upside down with a fondant circle and then embellished. I can totally see this bride she is a PRINCESS if you know what I mean. Make it the god awful lest gaudiest thing you have ever seen. I promise she will love it.

queenamy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
queenamy Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 1:47pm
post #20 of 24

i have no advice but id love to see the cake when its done!

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 2:31pm
post #21 of 24

I was just looking at that jewel of denial site and once you actually look at the product,it doesn't really look like jewels. Try looking at these:

http://www.cakesnthings.com/scripts/prodList.asp?strSearch=jewel&strSearchType=OR&strSearchMin=0&strSearchMax=0&strSearchCat=0&curPage=2&sortField=sortorder

dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 2:38pm
post #22 of 24

Wow! redsoxgirl - that is a cool site! Good to have bookmarked for later!

sugartopped Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 3:57pm
post #23 of 24

geez....what about using NON-EDIBLE rhinestones and beads?? I had told her when we met about this cake that I'd have to do some research on the 'bling' and see what I could come up with.

Well, she wasn't too hip on doing it fondant or royal icing and then painting w/luster dust (even though the gold & pink will be done in luster dust). Since she is only having 30 people....the top tier will be a dummy cake and the bottom tier will be the actual cake to eat. So I tried to get her to do the top tier as shown w/all the bling (then it wouldn't be a big deal b/c noone was eating that anyway) and then do a different design on the bottom....but she wants both tiers to be done the same!!!

I told her you can't eat rhinestones or beads and I could get a similar look w/the fondant and royal...but she didn't like that idea. I tried to explain that ALL the stone/beads would have to be pulled off before it was served so noone would eat/choke on them...and she said that's fine!! icon_confused.gif

She is picking up this cake the night before the wedding and driving w/it 3hrs away....so I won't be there to tell the people who are going to cut it that all this stuff would have to be taken off. I was sooooo hoping to avoid using the 'real' thing (as she put it).

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 4:05pm
post #24 of 24

pinkbunny...since you won't be there to give the cake cutter the directions, I would strongly advise against putting non-edible decorations on there. All it would take is for them to overlook one or two jewels and someone could choke on it if they didn't see it. I would tell her that liability prevents you from using them.

If you do chose to use the non edible, I would make sure that you send instructions to whoever is cutting the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%