Dip Cake In Chocolate

Decorating By Brandymagic Updated 20 Jun 2007 , 12:34pm by Brandymagic

Brandymagic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brandymagic Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 7:02pm
post #1 of 18

I'm new to cake decorating and I have been trying to dip my pieces of cake in melted chocolate. I'm having a problem with this. I have frozen my cake and when I try to dip my cake crumbles. My melted chocolate seems to thick. Maybe I do not have the correct recipe for my chocolate. I'm using the cakes for my granddauhter's wedding and they need to look special. Can anyone help me please I have to make 200 of these 3 inch cakes and the way I going I'll be lucky to get one made icon_cry.gif

17 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 7:54pm
post #2 of 18

Can you put the cakes on a cooling rack and pour the chocolate over them?

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 8:05pm
post #3 of 18

can you thin the choc. with crisco or veg. oil?

Or use Cheftaz ganache recipe from here?

Angie707 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angie707 Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 9:08pm
post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Can you put the cakes on a cooling rack and pour the chocolate over them?

thumbs_up.gif I agree. Thats the way wilton recommends to do it too.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 10:45pm
post #5 of 18

Are you making petit fours type cakes or are you trying to glaze whole cakes?

Here's a thread on ganache:
(How to glaze cakes, master recipe, and more.)

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-334973-.html

Stacked Cakes with Ganache:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-132821-.html

Petit Fours:
(Recipes and instructions with tutorials.)

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-573771.html

HTH

Brandymagic Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 11:22pm
post #6 of 18

sorry I did not get right back to you guys, we had to go to my daughters for a father's day dinner.
I'm trying to make little seperate 3 inch cakes covered with white chocolate. I don't know if anyone has it or not, but it is on page 77 of 2007 Wilton yearbook. They are so nice.
I have tried to put them on a cooling rack and pour the chocolate on them this did not work. I don't know guys, I guess I must try and try again maybe something will come through for us.
I guess I have not seen cheftaz's ganache on here. I tried to put it in the recipe search but it said no such recipe

NEWTODECORATING Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 12:00am
post #7 of 18

Here is the link to it.... I LOVE IT! Dries shiney and flawless.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2116-4-Chocolate-Ganache-1.html

Brandymagic Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 12:46am
post #8 of 18

I will try this tomorrow and we will see what happens. Thanks so much to all of you.

NEWTODECORATING Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 12:50am
post #9 of 18

Hey I just was looking at the wilton yearbook. If your going to stack those like they are shown you will probably want to use candy melts like they suggest. Candymelts will set so you can touch them and stack them later. I don't think ganache will work for you

Brandymagic Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 1:04am
post #10 of 18

You know I was thinking the same thing. I have tried them with just the melted white chocolate and they have a real hard coating, but I have not been able to pour the chocolate because it is so thick. The only other thing I can think of is to make candy clay and roll this out as an icing. Also if you look at page 6 in that same book you will see the poured chocolate using the cupcake papers as a mold. I have tried that also it takes a while, but they do look cute that way. I plan on using the candy clay and making Daisy's for the top with green leaves. We are making a big wedding cake for her with Daisy's on it and a cake stand's of the small cakes were to go on each side. Sure hopes this comes together soon icon_rolleyes.gif

NEWTODECORATING Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 1:06am
post #11 of 18

I use candy melts to coat my cakeballs. I add a tablespoon of Crisco to a bag of melts to thin the melts and make them coat even and smooth. Have you tried that? Also they still set up ok even with the crisco added.

Brandymagic Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 1:16am
post #12 of 18

I have not tried that. Do you dip them or pour them?

NEWTODECORATING Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 1:17am
post #13 of 18

With cakeballs I freeze and dip, but they are small. I think if I were you I would put them on a cooling rack over another pan to catch the drippings and pour it over the frozen cake.

Brandymagic Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 1:25am
post #14 of 18

Newtodecorating,

Okay tomorrow will be the day, I know I can do this (I think I can, I think I can, I think I can ) icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks so much
Anna

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 3:39am
post #15 of 18
NEWTODECORATING Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 9:45pm
post #16 of 18

Anna
How'd it go? Did you try it yet? Inquiring minds want to know! icon_lol.gif

caincakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caincakemaker Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 10:16pm
post #17 of 18

Maybe your cake is too moist (if there is such a thing). Can you use a chocolate pound cake, it may hold up better. The "Death by Chocolate" cookbook has "lucy'd diamonds" and he has you pour the chocolate over the diamond shape chocolate cakes. His recipe would be good for what you are doing it seems. Good Luck!

Brandymagic Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 12:34pm
post #18 of 18

I have done it, Thanks to you. icon_biggrin.gif I added the shortening and it made it much smoother but my cakes were to moist and they crumbled. On my way to get a cake that is firm and try that. Thanks so much.

Anna

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%