6X Sugar

Decorating By grandmalink Updated 17 Jun 2007 , 11:02pm by JanH

grandmalink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmalink Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 12:15am
post #1 of 6

I just got 6x powered sugar from Gordon's do I have to do any thing different to it to make butter cream frosting(stiff, beat long ect..) ? I have been using 10x for a long time is there a differents between 6x and 10x?

Thanks you
Debbie

5 replies
darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 12:55am
post #2 of 6

I have read where 6X is the preferred confectionary sugar but that is something not easy to come by for most people. I seem to remember 4X sugar at one time in the grocery stores. Something about the texture being better from what I remember.

I think 6X is preferred like hi ratio shortening is preferred to regular Crisco (shortening).

darkchocolate

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 2:29am
post #3 of 6

I have seen the 6x at sams club ....I think it has to do with the number of times it is sifted....other than that...don't know.

Leahbell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leahbell Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 5:57pm
post #4 of 6

The 6x means it has been sifted six times. I was taught in my Wilton class to use 10x and then sift it one more time so it wont' make the icing griitty. I don't know if it makes much difference, but that's how I've been doing it. I hope this helps!

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 6:09pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahbell

The 6x means it has been sifted six times.

Not true. The 6x refers to the size of the grain, not how many times it has been sifted.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 11:02pm
post #6 of 6

6x vs 10 x Sugar:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-643383-.html

I also buy the 6x from Gordon's. FYI, it's really packed in there so be sure to sift well or weigh for accurate measuring.
HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%