Blue Jello (For Water)

Decorating By Cakerer Updated 14 Jun 2005 , 3:35am by sunlover00

Cakerer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakerer Posted 8 Jun 2005 , 2:15am
post #1 of 9

hello all -
I've been searching the forums for cakes with ponds or a sea...where jello is used to represent the water. Has anyone ever done this? If so, please give me some pointers....I would think that the liquid would begin to seep into the cake before it jells. Is that true?

Thanks!

8 replies
ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 8 Jun 2005 , 2:20am
post #2 of 9

I use piping gel that's been tinted blue for water on my cakes icon_smile.gif

Cakerer Posted 8 Jun 2005 , 2:30am
post #3 of 9

I'm embarrassed to ask...

I'm not familiar with piping gel. Can you elaborate? Can I purchase this or is there a recipe somewhere?

As you can tell, I'm new to 'cake decorating'.

Cakerer Posted 8 Jun 2005 , 2:34am
post #4 of 9

oops...nevermind..I just found it.

Thanks for the suggestion..

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 8 Jun 2005 , 2:09pm
post #5 of 9

Cakerer,
Not sure if you mean you just found the recipe here on the site, or found out about the product that comes ready-made. I have only ever used Wilton and I can tell you that colouring blue the clear piping gel they sell, works perfectly, doesn't seep or run even after a few days. I have heard that the brandname CK works well too, but haven't tried it.
I have heard from several people that the recipe here does run and in a fairly rapid period of time. Several folks have had it run all over their cakes. So I would be hesitant about trying it out.
Just wanted to warn you, just in case. Nothing more frustrating that something like that happening. I would also steer clear of the blue Jello idea unless the cake was being refidgerated.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 8 Jun 2005 , 5:02pm
post #6 of 9

As a side note... when you're adding blue to the piping gel to color it.... a little goes a LONG way. Start gradually then add more if you need it!

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 8 Jun 2005 , 6:05pm
post #7 of 9

Heehee, good point Peacockplace, hhmn, and how would we know that, haha! I use Royal blue, let me tell you, the tiniest amounts on the end of a toothpick will colour quite a bit. If you use to much, it looks like poster paint, haha and how would I know that?
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Cakerer Posted 14 Jun 2005 , 2:12am
post #8 of 9

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I did find the wilton clear gel and will be using it to make the lake portion of a camping cake.

sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 14 Jun 2005 , 3:35am
post #9 of 9

If the homemade gel doesn't work for you, and you still want to try jello, just cut out the area you want the "water" in, then lay some plastic wrap in that area.

Then make jello "jigglers" recipe. It will be firmer and shouldn't melt like regular jello - or just reduce the amt of water you use. Then pour in the cooled jello into your "mold" and refrigerate.

When set, remove the plastic wrap, frost the cake, and lay the water back into the hole. Maybe add grass around the edges depending on what look you need.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%