4 Bad Icing Batches---Please Help!!!!!!

Decorating By dandelion56602 Updated 8 Aug 2006 , 11:39am by Twins5485

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 4:10am
post #1 of 25

I have never had this happen, but tonight I've had 4 batches of icing taste funny to me. I've not done anything different. Used the same utensils, bowls. Everything was clean, but after the 1st nasty batch--it was a double---I rewashed & started again. It ended up nasty too, so I thought maybe it was my flavorings---nope b/c I tried totally different flavorings. I checked the dates on the shortening & it's fine. Just bought the powdered sugar, meringue powder, & flavorings w/in the past 2 weeks.

The thing is their is a metallic taste to it & even feels like it in your mouth. I thought it might be me but dh said the same thing. Help!!!!! The only thing I think I could do differently would be leave out the meringue powder, but then I'm afraid it wouldn't crust.

It's so weird b/c I've never had this happen, I use everything the same & even made a batch for a cake this past Friday w/ the same of everything I used tonight & the Fri. batch was just fine.

I do use Wilton's buttercream recipe.

I'm about to pull my hair out. Any suggestions b/c I have to make this cake tomorrow?

24 replies
cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 4:15am
post #2 of 25

That is so strange. I'm so sorry ... I can only imagine how frustrated you must be!! I can't imagine that the meringue powder could be the culprit, but maybe try making a batch without the meringue powder? Do you have any shortening/powdered sugar that you didn't buy all at once? Maybe the entire case of shortening or powdered sugar was bad for some reason, so if you have any that you didn't buy with the others, maybe try that? I'm sorry ... I'm at a loss for suggestions. I hope someone else has a better suggestion ... icon_cry.gif

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 4:18am
post #3 of 25

I have found that powdered sugar is easily compromised. Try mixing some in a bit of water or milk and taste it. Just because it was newly purchased doesn't mean the seller took good care of it before it was sold.

cowdex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowdex Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 4:19am
post #4 of 25

ok - stupid question - what did you have for supper? It might be a taste you both had in your mouth that must made the icing taste weird. No other idea.....

dandelion56602 Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 4:43am
post #5 of 25

I had fish he had a salad. I tasted the conf. sugar & it tasted fine. The shortening is the Crisco blocks & I used some from 2 different packages. I am about 1 1/2 mo. pregnant & this is the reason I asked my dh b/c I remember the last time my taste buds were off whack. There needs to be an emoticon that is pulling it's hair out.

TheCakeSmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeSmith Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 4:48am
post #6 of 25

LOL I was going to say 'Are you sure you're not PG' until I got down to where you had your DH try it. LOL

redsoxgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redsoxgirl Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 4:53am
post #7 of 25

if you use the 1/2 crisco 1/2 butter recipe it will crust with no powder. might be worth a try.

cakesbyjess Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 4:53am
post #8 of 25

LOL ... I agree that we need an emoticon like that!! I'm sorry this is happening to you. icon_cry.gif

Congratulations on your pregnancy, by the way!!! icon_biggrin.gif

dandelion56602 Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 5:03am
post #9 of 25

Thanks cakesbyjess.

Well, I went back to the last batch & tasted again---same. Then I started thinking it was setting my teeth on edge. So, as I was walking out of the kitchen I thought of salt--b/c I never add it to my recipe. So, I added salt & it seemed to be a little better, if only I hadn't used almond extract (I prefer butter flavoring). So, I scooped it into a bowl & am going to try it again in the morning to see if it's ok. If it's still weird in the am I'll probably try the 1/2 crisco 1/2 butter.

Another quick question about the icing. Could a stainless steel bowl have anything to do w/ it? Like I said I've always used it. My dh bought me a professional set for this past Christmas, but I did use a bigger one from the set for my double batch & I've only used it twice before.

Then a question that's a little off---does meringue powder expire? I usually use it fairly quickly, but just wondered.

cakesbyjess Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 5:30am
post #10 of 25

Salt is a good idea ... I never think to add that to my BC either.

You know, I almost said that if you were using a stainless steel bowl, it might be the culprit. Maybe since the one you used is newer, it's giving off some sort of a metallic taste. I haven't had that happen to me, but it may be possible.

I read somewhere that meringue powder has a long shelf life (if it's stored in a cool, dry place). Even if you bought it recently, there's a chance that it was on the shelf in the grocery store (or wherever you bought it) for an unusually long time. Just a guess.

Hopefully when you taste the icing in the morning, it will taste great, and this will all just be a bad memory (crossing my fingers for you!)!!!! icon_smile.gif

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 5:43am
post #11 of 25

Personally, I think it's the pregnant thing. DH is going to tell you what you want to hear for fear of having a KA heaved at his head.

cakesbyjess Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 7:01am
post #12 of 25

Toooooo funny, debsuewoo!!!!!!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 9:37am
post #13 of 25

The metal taste might be from the blocks of shortening that are wrapped in foil. Are you picking up a "foil" type of taste? Try making the BC with Crisco from a large can.

heystopthatnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heystopthatnow Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 9:53am
post #14 of 25

yes, merengue powder expires but if you bought it two weeks ago, it should be ok.

dsoutherngirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsoutherngirl Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 11:06am
post #15 of 25

I'm wondering if you are using the Wilton crusting recipe that calls for 2/3 cup of water. Sometimes my tap water has a really chemical taste.

Twins5485 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Twins5485 Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 11:37am
post #16 of 25

Hi dandelion56602 !!

I had the same thing happen to me with the metal taste just two days ago... I can tell you that I found the problem to be the shortening sticks...If you smell them you will smell the same taste that your icing is tasting like.. I also checked my exp. date and it was 2007.. I went through two batches and tasted some that I also had made a week prior that was in the fridge. Of course it was good... I'm going to e mail Crisco and let them know today what happened. You will need to give them the UPC code off the package. I had bought mine at Walmart just two days prior to making the icing.... I hope this puts you at ease, cause I can tell you I was stumped. It sure was upsetting having to make another batch of icing at 10pm for a cake that was due for PU the next day... Have a good day!

Cassandra

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 1:08pm
post #17 of 25

I am in agreement with Debsuewoo - I'd bet it is the PG thing going on and most hubby's will just agree with us (they usually do not have a clue as to what it is supposed to taste like)

One other thing - have you had any dental work done lately? I get that "taste" in my mouth for a couple of weeks after having any dental work done, or if I have a metal utensil touch any of my fillings.

kkhigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkhigh Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 2:30pm
post #18 of 25

This happened to me before...what a nightmare it was. After tons of trial and error, i discovered in my case it was the crisco. i had used crisco from 3 different cans with the same poor result. it wasnt until after i purchased another can from a different store and it was fine that i thought to check the other cans and they had the same lot # and they were all bad.

good luck finding the culprit.
-kim

dandelion56602 Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 3:51pm
post #19 of 25

I too am beginning to think it was the Crisco. I had dh go to a regional grocery store this am & get me new sugar & crisco--can & sticks. I had bought my last two batches of Crisco at Walmart & they didn't have an exp. date until 2008. I tasted the icing this morning & it wasn't as bad, but after making a batch w/ the ingredients dh brought me this morning it was "normal". I'm so glad I'm not the only one this has happened to. I will let Crisco know as well.

Thanks to everyone else for their advice too thumbs_up.gif . I will definitely remember everything for future reference.

Twins5485 Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 4:20pm
post #20 of 25

I just got off the phone with a very nice lady from Crisco.. She apologized for the trouble and asked if I could send her the remaining sticks I have which I also purchased at Walmart with same exp. date... She said it would take a couple of weeks before she could get back to me but they would send me some coupons for replacement shortening... Which was fine by me.. Today I'm going to Food Lion to get what I need for the weekend..... Let me know if they are able to take care of your mishap also... Have a great day!

Cassandra

cakesbyjess Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 4:43pm
post #21 of 25

dandelion56602, I'm glad to hear that you were able to make some "normal" icing this morning. Sounds like the Crisco may have been the culprit. It's discouraging to read that several people have had the same problem with Crisco. Hopefully on the grand scale of cans and sticks of Crisco, this doesn't happen all that often!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

Twins5485 Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 4:48pm
post #22 of 25

Cakesbyjess... I agree with you, I think this was just a fluke that just happened to us at the wrong time.. Like I told the lady at Crisco, this item has been in our home since I was a child and I use it now myself and by no means would I consider trying another brand...I'm just glad I noticed it before I delivered the cake- guess that's one good thing about wanting to taste the icing right after we've finished it icon_biggrin.gif Have a good one!!!!

Cassandra

Rebekka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rebekka Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 6:03pm
post #23 of 25

I think you've already figured out the culprit...but just in case, I had two ideas.

I made a few batches of cheesecake in my kitchenaid a while back that had the same problem. We found out it was the paddle attachment scraping against the bowl, flaking off teeny pieces of the stainless steel into the batter....gross! You couldn't see them but we found out the bowl was positioned too far to one side which is why it was scraping.

Also, I know that when I was pregnant, things tasted metallic all the time!

dandelion56602 Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 4:20am
post #24 of 25

Well, I did call Crisco & they told me the same thing. They said they would analyze the shortening---whether they do or not is another question. I ended up have a wonderful tasting cake & frosting & when I get the chance I will post pics.

My dh had come home for lunch Wed & asked if I finally got it right. He tried a spoonful & said "that's how it's suppose to taste". It was just a pain to figure it out. But I did notice after I used the sticks to make the new icing that the can he bought was from the same batch that was bad. Needless to say it's going to Food Lion & not staying in my house.

Twins5485 I noticed you're from TN, please don't totally freak me out & tell me your batch # was 6165420.

Twins5485 Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 11:39am
post #25 of 25

Hello Dandelion56602-

I'm glad we have both been able to make a normal batch of icing... I'm just so thankful I tasted that one batch before I started frosting. I probably wouldn't of gotten another order if I had sent it out like that.

Now the number I'm giving you is different from yours but the package that the actual that were bad I had already thrown away but this one was purchased at the same time... #6156420..

It's really a pain to have to do to two different stores to buy what I need for shortening but in the end it's worth a piece of mind knowing it's not bad....

I hope all goes well for you and your future cake making. Have a great day!!

Cassandra

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%