Freezing

Decorating By susieq76 Updated 1 Aug 2006 , 9:52pm by cakesbyamym

susieq76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susieq76 Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 6:22pm
post #1 of 5

Hi- I have a large cake coming up (well large for me LOL) and I want to freeze the cakes about a week in advance. I tried looking up posts here and my head is spinning... icon_confused.gif

Should I wrap in saran and then foil? When defrosting- do I leave the saran on until defrosted??

4 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 5

For short term freezing (not more than a couple of weeks) I double wrap layers in plastic wrap, and thaw in the plastic. Anything longer, I use foil.

If there is anything with odor in your freezer (onions) the use foil to protect the cake.

brendan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brendan Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 7:26pm
post #3 of 5

I always freeze my cakes! It won't hurt to wrap foil around them and freeze for around 2 weeks. I don't like to leave them any longer than that.

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 8:05pm
post #4 of 5

After cake has cooled, I wrap it up in saran wrap. I then wrap mine up in freezer paper.
As cake thaws out, leave wrapped so that the moisture does not escape. I usually like to to thaw my cakes out in the fridge overnight first. But if I don't have time or I forget, I just leave them on the counter wrapped still while they thaw out. But don't leave them stacked on top of each other, or your cakes won't thaw out.

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 9:52pm
post #5 of 5

Per the suggestion of another CC member, I overwrap in plastic (two times) immediately when turned out of the baking pan. Then, I overwrap in foil (two times), and put into the freezer. I try to thaw the day prior to needing the cake. I let the cakes thaw completely in the plastic and foil liners. They seem to retain their moisture much better by keeping the linings on while thawing. I never freeze a cake for more than a week to 10 days. Just my preference. Everyone has a method that works best for them. This one just seems to always end with great results for me.

Amy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%