the delonghi or ka?

24 replies
littlemissmuffin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlemissmuffin Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 12:06am
post #2 of 25

That's a good question. I've been eyeing this KA mixer - Image

and this Jenn Air mixer:

Image but not that color.

I used to have the Hamilton Beach Eclectrics before Katrina and I loved it.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 12:20am
post #3 of 25

I think they are all comparable-there are minor differences. however, KA has a SUPERIOR customer service department.

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 12:26am
post #4 of 25

All this time everyone has been saying Kitchen Aid is the best..
I thought everyone would know by now.. It's Kitchen aid..
no doubt. icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

jdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelectables Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 12:28am
post #5 of 25

KA, for sure!!!

Rambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rambo Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 12:31am
post #6 of 25

I just got a KA 6 qt mixer for mothers day. I LOVE it. Everyone I know loves them and many have had them for 20+ years without so much as a hiccup in there operation. icon_biggrin.gif

pbertone1005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbertone1005 Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 12:39am
post #7 of 25

Love my kitchen aide. I've had it for years and it's still going strong.

stylishbite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stylishbite Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 1:00am
post #8 of 25

Every time I see this Q's pop up again I have to jump in. I've had my KA for 13 years, with not one problem. It's the Artisan. I wanted the 525 watt for making MMF. My Artisan gets a little hot when I make fondant, but other than that it suits my needs. I bought 2 extra bowls, which I highly suggest.
My boss gave me another KA for Christmas. It was referbished. He bought it for his wife off the net, didn't know it was rebuilt. He bought her a new one and didn't want to pay to send this one back. Since I make all his grandkids and family cakes, he gave it to me thumbs_up.gif I think the other office ladies were upset icon_razz.gif
Anywho, I DON'T think I would buy a rebuilt one after having this one. Not worth the $40 off to chance it. It is very loud and has a hot motor smell when I do alot of mixing with it. The 13 year old one I have doesn't do any of that.
Here's where I make you shake your head. I love my KA but what I really want is a VIKING 1000 watt mixer urgh urgh urgh!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 2:54am
post #9 of 25

stylishbite,

Wuuuooooh, that Viking's a monster! If I ever kill my 15 year old KA, I'll keep it in mind!!!!! icon_twisted.gif

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 5:21am
post #10 of 25

A Viking 1000 watt mixer?!?!? Now that sounds awesome!! I do love my KA's, but 1000 watts!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!!

mittmitt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mittmitt Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 5:32am
post #11 of 25

the reason i asked this question is because of wattage, i was looking at hsn.com and they have a 700 watt delonghi for under $500

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 5:33am
post #12 of 25

I had my husband at a kitchen store a little while ago and they had their display of stand mixers and they had all kinds of fancy models with the bells and whistles..... I eyed the Viking 1000 and he told me that I would have to give up every birthday, Mother's Day, Anniversary, and Christmas for 10n years to get one. I told him I'd let him know by this Christmas.

PieceofCakeAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PieceofCakeAZ Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 8:51am
post #13 of 25

Mitty-

I have a couple of KA's as well as the 7Q 700w Delonghi. If you are just caking, the Delonghi works great and provides an extra quart of space over the Professional KA. However, after a couple of batches of thick cookie dough, the Delonghi makes a loud grinding noise with some regularity, especially if I am making small batches of buttercream (once the PS goes in, it grinds like crazy).

Even the smaller watt KA's have no problem with the cookie dough but it messed up the Delonghi pretty bad.

If no cookies are in your future, grab a Delonghi from ebay for under $350 and it will work great.

mittmitt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mittmitt Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 3:14pm
post #14 of 25

Thanks for the info, I think I will stick with the KA, I don't like the idea of loud strange noises comming from a mixer

fronklowes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fronklowes Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 3:13am
post #15 of 25

I have the DeLonghi, but I haven't had any problems at all. I've done cookie dough, MMF, Buttercreams, and cake mixes without ever having a problem. I've had mine for about four years now and it was even the display model at the store where I purchased it. It's very powerful and mixes quite well. I've never used a KA, so I can't give you a comparison, sorry. But, I think that wattage has a lot to do with the power in a machine. Mine's does 705 watts.

BTW, according to Consumer Reports, the Delonghi mixers and Kitchen Aide Pro series mixers are the best in performance and durability. There was another mixer listed, too, but I don't remember the name of it because it wasn't something I was familiar with...might have been Viking, but I'm not positive.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 12:59pm
post #16 of 25

KA Pro 600 rocks!

cakesksa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesksa Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 2:46am
post #17 of 25

DeLonghi fan here! My mom has a KA, I have a DeLonghi. I've used hers when I was visiting her and I think the DeLonghi is a lot easier to work with, mainly because of the shield design and the tilt back head rather than the lifting head. The design of the KA makes it a pain to get into the bowl compared to the DeLonghi and the shield design makes it messier to work with (because of the large open gap poisdered sugar tends to fly everywhere at first) and it allows the icing to dry out much faster unless you cover the gap with a towel. As far as power, I'd put them both at about the same level (although my DeLonghi has much higher wattage).

In the end, they're both great mixers and get the job done, so you can't go wrong with either!

Julie icon_smile.gif

koolaidstains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolaidstains Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 12:00am
post #18 of 25

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/bosch_universal.asp

Check this one out. I have the Bosch universal and I love it. It is extremely powerful. I have never once felt like it was straining and I've even used the grinder to grind raw chicken bones. The lid to the mixer bowl fits completely on so absolutely NO flying powdered sugar. It has a low enough profile to fit under cabinets or even sit on a regular size shelf. I keep mine on the counter all the time and just pull out the attatchments I want. I have the KA mixer, processor and blender and I much prefer the Bosch.

I bought mine origianally because I was making a lot of bread. That thing is awesome with bread. I haven't done mmf in mine, but I would think it would cut through it no problem!

cakesbyjess Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 4:06am
post #19 of 25

koolaidstains (I love your nickname!!!) ... that mixer looks really cool! I have never heard of it before, but I know Bosch is a good brand name. I'll have the check that one out the next time I need to replace one of my KA's (though I guess that probably won't happen for awhile ... knock on wood!!!).

Silly question ... why would you want to grind raw chicken bones???? icon_surprised.gif

cake2decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake2decorate Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 4:19am
post #20 of 25

icon_smile.gif The Viking 1000 watt mixer is incredible... I have never heard the motor slow down and I usually mix icing batches with 4 LB of powdered sugar!! The large capacity mixing bowl is also large enough for the cooked buttercream recipe by Sylvia Weinstock.

brookej01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brookej01 Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 1:05pm
post #21 of 25

I love my KA, but really have nothing but cheap imitations to compare it with. My gma has had her KA for a very very long time...and uses it for cakes, and everything else and its still kicking....that's why I asked for one.

koolaidstains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolaidstains Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 9:05pm
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbyjess

koolaidstains (I love your nickname!!!) ... that mixer looks really cool! I have never heard of it before, but I know Bosch is a good brand name. I'll have the check that one out the next time I need to replace one of my KA's (though I guess that probably won't happen for awhile ... knock on wood!!!).

Silly question ... why would you want to grind raw chicken bones???? icon_surprised.gif

LOL - I fed a raw diet to my cats. When I was looking at just buying a decent grinder which would have been $100, I decided to get the Bosch because I never used my KA appliances because I had to lug them out and try to find space on my countertop. Don't get me wrong, I love my KA appliances too, but we have very linited counterspace in this house and the Bosch solved all my problems. My KA stuff is packed away until we remodel.

cakesbyjess Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 2:42am
post #23 of 25

Ah, I understand now. I thought maybe you were feeding the ground up chicken bones to your kids or something. LOL icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I am really intrigued by that Bosch mixer/grinder!!!

georgies_girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
georgies_girl Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 4:14am
post #24 of 25

I have to agree with the DeLonghi vote. It's my "small" mixer...lol (I have a 20qt. Blakeslee to do my frosting), but I use my DeLonghi for everything else. If I do happen to use it to make a 1/2 batch of frosting, I just dump everything in it, set it on 2 and walk away for about 10 minutes. I love it!

heystopthatnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heystopthatnow Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 4:20am
post #25 of 25

I'll tell you what I HATE!! ...Sunbeam! It is so sucky and loud!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%