A Hoax???

Decorating By Wendoger Updated 16 Jun 2007 , 3:52am by Wendoger

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 3:49am
post #1 of 11

So I have some pics of my cakes on my myspace.com account. Someone e-mailed me and said she needed a wedding cake on July 21st. She said she waited too long to book this other gal and now she can't do it. I have only e-mailed her a couple of times but my gut is telling me 'dont do it'...
Here is the e-mail....

Me...
for how many people do ya need a wedding cake for? Do ya know what ya want? Buttercream? Fondant? Decorations? Colors?

Her...
for 100 guestÃ
i wanted 3 different flavorsà of cake
decorated with flowers

Me...
Sent: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 6:55 pm
Subject: Re: cake

what 3 flavors of cake?
what kind and color of flower?
what shape of cake?
do you have a topper?

Her...
Butter cream, chocolate, carrot cake are the flavors...
   Â
This is one cake i liked. i don't know what kind of flowers they are but i was told they don't wilt easy...that's good because the wedding is outside...

but maybe yellow instead of the pink flowers....my wedding colors are lime,yellow,turquoise...

i want flowers on top like in the picture

now the shape of cake i'm not sure of. if the cake can't be delivered then i might go with a cake style where each layer is on it's own pedestal so it's easy for us to transport.Â

....so what do you all think??? A hoax or what????
I'll attach the pic of the cake she sent me....
LL

10 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 4:18am
post #2 of 11

a very pretty cake. Money up front and talk person to person on the phone at least.

Find out where she is. she may think you are next door, when you may be in the next state.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 4:23am
post #3 of 11

I don't know if it's a hoax, but it sounds flakey. Talk to her on the phone, get concrete details and a payment in hand before spending any money.

malika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malika Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 4:34am
post #4 of 11

I'd be cautious. Wasn't there someone on here who was emailed about making a cake but it turned out to be a con?

Feefs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Feefs Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 4:39am
post #5 of 11

I have done a cake for a wedding on email contact only.. the bride was just as flakey... i just called her occassionaly on the phone and made sure i was paid in full 2 weeks before the wedding... got money, will hand over anything, anywhere... no money, no cake...

ask for contact phone #, and see where it goes from there

Wendoger Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 4:51am
post #6 of 11

Ok, I just e-mailed her asking for her phone number so we can talk and figure the rest of the stuff out....guess we'll see what happens!
Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 10:12pm
post #7 of 11

Has there been ANY discussion on money? location? Delivery options? I've never talked with a bride who went directly into cake description without trying to find out how much the rates are, did I deliver or do they have to pick up, and did I deliver to her area?

Other than her sounding a little flakey, there's not much in there that really raises a red flag with me. Get her face-to-face and talk money.

Wendoger Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 10:33pm
post #8 of 11

...still no reply to the last e-mail I sent asking for her phone number...I'm baggin' this one... icon_confused.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 3:17am
post #9 of 11

If she does contact you again I would make it clear that you need to meet with her to sign a contract, receive a deposit to reserve the day for her, and to finalize all the details. Hopefully this will either get her to give you more information or it will send her running b/c it isn't real.

SaraO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraO Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 3:47am
post #10 of 11

Always be careful about myspace. There are some weird people out there that will use any excuse to contact you. Not to sound like a nerd but it's always better to be safe than sorry icon_smile.gif The email sounds very flakey to me. Why would "she" say "I want three flavours," and not even tell you what they are in the first email?

Wendoger Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 3:52am
post #11 of 11

...exactly...and thats probly why my first gut instinct was to say hmmm....dont think so.....I've bagged it....there has been no response...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%