Mmf, Chocolate Filagree, High Humidity And A 2 Hour Drive???

Decorating By dizzy94 Updated 31 Jul 2006 , 8:40pm by dizzy94

dizzy94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dizzy94 Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 3:24pm
post #1 of 7

Ok here is my situation. I am going to make 2 cakes for our family reunion to celebrate birthdays. One I want to be birthday presents covered in MMF with MMF decorations in bright colors.

The other I want to be a cake with black frosting and white chocolate filagree and decorations.

Then I have to transport them 2 hours to my sisters in our wonderful Wisconsin August heat/humidity. icon_surprised.gif

EDIT: And no I do not have access to an air conditioned vehicle....sigh...

Any ideas? or am I just dreaming

How early can I make the chocolate and MMF decorations? I work that Thursday morning then will travel that afternoon and the cakes will be used that evening.

Thanks in advance for any help, this will be my first time for both methods but if I cant experiment on family who then icon_wink.gif

Melanie

6 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 4:56pm
post #2 of 7

The decorations in a hot car for two hours are probably doomed. However, if you can make them to add to the cake later, it may be possible. MMF decorations can be made well in advance. The chocolate can too, as long as you have a cool place to store them.

then on travel day, pack them in to a cooler, or even a box with Blue Ice. If you keep the container out of direct sun, they should survive the trip.

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 5:12pm
post #3 of 7

I feel for you with the heat/humidity! I live in WI too!
I definetely recommend packing your chocolate into a cooler in order for to make it.
If you can transport your cakes in your trunk you would have a higher chance of making it.
Here's an idea to help keep your trunk cooler. Fill a cooler with ice, if possible keep the lid open while sitting in the trunk. Park car in shade with cooler in closed trunk for at least an hour. Then when you are ready to leave take out the cooler and stick in your cakes, then quickly close the trunk and keep it closed until your arrival destination.
Buy a roll of non-slip grip shelf liner to make your trunk slip-proof.
(I did this with my car...except I have AC and I have 60/40 split seats that open from the trunk..so I ran the AC on full blast in the car with the seats down for a little bit before I loaded up the car.)

dizzy94 Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 5:24pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks JoAnn and Mouse I will use both your ideas and will start on the decorations right away tomorrow. I like the idea of making it well in advance anyway so I have time to fix anything that needs to be re-done or re-thought.

Mouse, I am in Black Creek (just outside of Appleton) and will be heading to Menomonee Falls so I know your general area and lets just say we are staying inside today!!!

I will post pictures and let you know how it goes.

Melanie

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 5:28pm
post #5 of 7

Can't wait!
(Today is one of those day's I am glad I work in an office building that has working AC)

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 5:44pm
post #6 of 7

I checked the NOAA forecast for Thursday in Black Creek, WI. The hot spell should break on Wednesday. You are supposed to have 80's on Thursday. I have found NOAA to be more accurate than anyone else.
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/forecast/MapClick.php?CityName=Black+Creek&state=WI&site=GRB

edited to add url address

dizzy94 Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 8:40pm
post #7 of 7

Hey Narie thanks! I bookmarked that site as well. thumbs_up.gif The reunion is actually the following Thursday but now that I have the site I can check the weather as I go. Its a good sign that the heat will be breaking, more than one heat wave would be miraculous for around here LOL

Melanie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%