Neighbor Turned Down Free Cake!

Decorating By my3bibs Updated 31 Jul 2006 , 5:51am by emi

my3bibs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
my3bibs Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 11:33pm
post #1 of 19

I was offended at first....but then I thought "their loss"

I am doing the South Beach Diet, but got the itch to decorate. I tried giving it to the neighbors but they told my DS they didn't want any icon_eek.gif

Something MUST be wrong with them icon_biggrin.gif

18 replies
petitesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petitesweet Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 11:34pm
post #2 of 19

I'd say so! CRAZY!!!!

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 11:36pm
post #3 of 19

Maybe they thought you were trying to sell them something??

SHADDI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHADDI Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 11:41pm
post #4 of 19

they might be on a diet

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 11:44pm
post #5 of 19

My neighbors love when it's thier turn to get the free cake. I give all my cakes away and since I don't work I have no place to take them to other then the neighbors but they all have kids.
Joanne

rhondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhondie Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 11:51pm
post #6 of 19

What they did not take your FREE cake...NUTS!! That would be like if my neighbor baked fresh biscuits, brought'em over to my house and I said "no thank you". I just don't get it...It's borderline rude.

i_love_icing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_love_icing Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 11:53pm
post #7 of 19

Maybe they're on a diet too icon_wink.gif

denise2434 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise2434 Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 12:27am
post #8 of 19

Wow!! icon_surprised.gif They didn't want it?? You can box it up and send it to me!!! lol I'm all for a free homemade cake!!! thumbs_up.gif

Hugs, ~Denise

MeloMiMi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeloMiMi Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 12:37am
post #9 of 19

Oh yea, their either nuts, on a diet, or don't like icing like us! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif If someone would offer me a free cake I would be doin a happy dance. I would love to have you as my neighbor. icon_wink.gif

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 12:48am
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by my3bibs

I was offended at first....but then I thought "their loss"

I am doing the South Beach Diet, but got the itch to decorate. I tried giving it to the neighbors but they told my DS they didn't want any icon_eek.gif

Something MUST be wrong with them icon_biggrin.gif

You should not be offended because they turned down your offer. If you have your reasons for not eating your own cake then you should respect their reason (whether or not you know what that is) for not accepting your cake. That's only fair.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 2:24am
post #11 of 19

it wasn't rude to refuse it. come on . . . you offered it because you are on a diet. maybe they didn't want cake in the house.

we shouldn't be so hard on people.

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 2:33am
post #12 of 19

In a situation like this, if I were the neighbor, and I didn't want the cake in my house, for whatever reason it might be, I would STILL accept the gift. Then I would either pass it along to someone that I know would want it, or I wouldnt even feel TOO bad if I had to throw it away.

But personally, I would never turn down a gift that someone has put their heart into giving.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 2:43am
post #13 of 19

Did someone say free cake? icon_biggrin.gif

I was on a diet for a few months but still had the urge to bake so I started bringing a lot of it (pies, pastries and cookies mostly) to neighbors and family. The running joke now is that I'm trying to make everyone else larger so I feel smaller LOL icon_lol.gif

Don't feel bad because they refused. It was really nice of you to offer though. I can kind of understand how you feel. I offered to make free birthday cakes for a local live-in homeless shelter and they never called to ask for one icon_sad.gif I went down there though with 4 kids in tow (2, 3, 4 and 11 at the time) and it was hot out and I was sweating and out of breath. They probably felt bad for me!!!

twinsline7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsline7 Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 2:44am
post #14 of 19

complete honesty....if my neighbor came over with a cake, id turn it down too......call it rude or weird...but truth is Im VERY funny about anything made in someone elses home.....I have a hard time eating at my OWN grandmothers!!!

I wouldnt be rude about it.....I would just say no thank you. Personally I'd rather them tell me no thank you then pretend they ate it and lie about it...so i look like the dummy who keeps taking them more cake!

NOW....unless of course this wasnt the first time you've given them cake.... then that might be something to read into!

my3bibs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
my3bibs Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 2:44am
post #15 of 19

I know this women and she is not on a diet.
I was just taken aback at first.....I mean Even if I didn't want it I would have said "thank you" and if I had to later throw it out.

I wasn't personally attacking my neighbor in my original post, I just thought it was funny and my fellow CC'ers would think so too. icon_redface.gif

I'll just know from now on not to offer her any

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 4:37am
post #16 of 19

Don't be so down that they did not accept your cake. Appreciate their honesty. I would rather someone turn something down than smile to my face and take it then put it in the garbage. Also, they may have already had cake or pastries in there house and dod not want to have more To throw away. You dont know the reason so give the cake to someone else that would want it.

Twinlines5 I am with you there on that one.

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 4:53am
post #17 of 19

Just a suggestion, but you might take your next creation to your doctor's office or your kids' pediatrician's office. I used to work in doctors' offices and work in a hospital now and the people I've worked with have always been eager to eat anything that was brought in. Not to mention that if you get in good with the office staff, they might find a little more wiggle room in the schedule the next time you need to be worked in at the last minute.

HeatherBecker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherBecker Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 4:59am
post #18 of 19

Are your neighbors diabetic? If so, they may not have been able to eat it. However, I would think that anyone who was diabetic or on a diet would specify why they were choosing not to take the cake, just to avoid huring your feelings.

emi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emi Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 5:51am
post #19 of 19

Twinsline7, I agree with you. I would also be honest and simply say no thank you. I don't know what people are like or how clean their homes are.
I have a very good friend whose personallity I dearly love, and who thinks that having a fairly neat home is not a priority. She has a dog that sheds like crazy, which of course is all over the house, including the counter tops in her kitchen. ( I'm not sure how healthy that is having a toddler around ). I don't want her stressing over the fact that she has to force herself to clean her home if we are to visit, therefore we either meet over at our place or simply go out to eat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%