Aaargh - Ex Mother-In-Law, Disaster Looms....

Decorating By emmascakes Updated 6 Sep 2006 , 3:21am by m0use

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 2:33pm
post #1 of 57

I've been asked by my ex boyfriend (first love of five years standing, now married to a stick insect) to bake his Mum's 60th birthday cake. She never liked me and was pleased when we broke up at the tender age of 23, I'm 30 now. So I'm thinking 'I'll show her!' and planned to make the best cake in the world.

I'm making a fruit cake as they want a cake that will keep for some time. Anyway, we bought a new oven a few days ago and I haven't used it much (can you see the disaster looming yet?!) I put the fruit cakes (it's three tiers) in this morning and four hours later the cakes just don't seem to be cooking - they're burning on top and gooey at the bottom still. So I put tin sheets on top to try and stop the tops cooking. One hour one and still same state. So I took the cakes out of the tin, flipped them and tried cooking the bottom of the cakes....

So now the top and bottom of the cake seem to be cooked but the middles are still gooey and it's 5 hours on. By this time I am swearing and cursing the new oven and wondering if I'll never be able to bake a cake again.

It was at this point that I noticed the switch on the front of the oven which I'd never seen before. It was switched to grill....

Not sure if I can save these cakes now!! Thought I'd share this to raise a smile. I'll post the pictures if the cake gets made...

56 replies
cakesoncall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesoncall Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 2:42pm
post #2 of 57

That sounds like something I would do! LOL Don't worry, everything will work out just fine, but I don't know if I would try to save those cakes at this point. I know fruitcake is super expensive to make, but I think I'd start them over. JMHO

Good luck!

alip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alip Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 2:50pm
post #3 of 57

Oops! On the bright side at least now you know there isn't anything wrong with your brand new oven. Good luck! Your cakes are beautiful! I'm sure your ex-mother-in-law will love it. (Even if she didn't love you.)

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 2:50pm
post #4 of 57

I think it's mighty "big" of you to do this for the MOEB
(mom of ex boyfriend)., especially since she never liked you. Is he going to tell her you made the cake? She might not eat it if he does! Hope all turns out okay! Good luck with the new oven! At least you have an excuse to bake lots of cakes - have to break it in!!

emmascakes Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 9:25pm
post #5 of 57

The cakes are saved, I took a core out of the middle to check and all fine - re-inserted the core and will decorate tomorrow. She will know I made the cake as I have stickers that go on my cake boxes. Thanks for the support, weird it's coming from all across the other side of the world - isn't the internet fab, and a bit freaky?!

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 9:35pm
post #6 of 57

Oh my sounds like something I would do.... Things will turn out just fine because it will be the best cake they have ever had. icon_smile.gif

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 9:36pm
post #7 of 57

I'm so glad it baked ok. I can't wait to see a picture of the finished product. I just visited your gallery and you have some amazing cakes!!! You are very talented!

4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4kids Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 11:01pm
post #8 of 57

Can't wait to see pics. Revenge is so sweet! icon_wink.gif

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 11:14pm
post #9 of 57

Can't wait to see the pictures!!! I'm sure it will be great!!!!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 11:18pm
post #10 of 57

hmmm... she didn't like you and was happy when you broke up, are you going to be there to shove your beautiful cake in her face for revenge. Just kidding. I'm sure she'll regret not being nice when she sees what talent you have and how you are the bigger person for even saying yes to do the cake in the first place. Don't forget to post a pick.

heystopthatnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heystopthatnow Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 7:18am
post #11 of 57

Wow, I can't believe you were able to save that cake! Hope the rest of the decorating goes well. Can't wait to see the final product =)

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 4:03pm
post #12 of 57

Can't wait to see the pictures and welcome to CC! icon_biggrin.gif

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 4:08pm
post #13 of 57

Your cakes are absolutely beautiful...I just know you will show her!

_ruby_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_ruby_ Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 4:26pm
post #14 of 57

LOL!

That's funny.

Sounds like you have not forgotten your first love. And best of all, he has not forgotten you.

emmascakes Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 6:43pm
post #15 of 57

We're still in the same group of friends who've known each other since primary school that's all. He's married and I've lived with OH for five years so nothing going on at all. In fact if it wasn't for the mutual friends we wouldn't be in contact at all as he drives me mad icon_wink.gif

Cake progress: marzipanned and iced and pastillage decorations are drying as we speak - will assemble tomorrow morning. My one concern is that the pastillage is homemade - first time I've ever done this so I'm not sure ho it will turn out. Fortunately ex has let me have free reign over the design so if it goes wrong I can do something else and he'll never know! Watch this space!

LeeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeAnn Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 6:49pm
post #16 of 57

Come on girl lets see mother in laws cake/ you can do it

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 7:01pm
post #17 of 57

C'mon...I want to see it too! Better yet, I want to hear how she had to swallow her pride and tell ya what an awesome cake you made!!!

divaricks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divaricks Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 7:12pm
post #18 of 57

emmascakes - your cakes are gorgeous so I am sure it will turn out superb - I can't wait to see the finished product!

How wonderful that your ex knows your talent and asked you to do this - I am sure his mother will also be impressed!

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 7:21pm
post #19 of 57

Waiting patiently to see the photo............

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 7:27pm
post #20 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by christeena

I think it's mighty "big" of you to do this for the MOEB
(mom of ex boyfriend)., especially since she never liked you.

The fact is that the ex-boyfriend is the customer, not the mother.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 7:34pm
post #21 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmascakes

The cakes are saved, I took a core out of the middle to check and all fine - re-inserted the core and will decorate tomorrow. She will know I made the cake as I have stickers that go on my cake boxes. Thanks for the support, weird it's coming from all across the other side of the world - isn't the internet fab, and a bit freaky?!

I can hear your accent all the way over here! hahaha!

Glad it worked out!

Have a nice day, y'all!

(actually, I work with people all day from the UK. So I will sign off with Cheers!)

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 7:35pm
post #22 of 57

My DH's ex wife asks me to make cakes all the time for her. And yes, I do refraim from putting in rat poison....

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

GenesisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenesisCakes Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 7:41pm
post #23 of 57

Emma your cakes are beautiful. I can't wait to hear what she says. Please keep us posted....and post the pic.

waiting patiently..............LOL

Cricketlegs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cricketlegs Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 4:53am
post #24 of 57

I agree! You cakes are wonderful and so unique.

I can't wait to see the new one.

Cricket

emmascakes Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 5:25am
post #25 of 57

So sweet that you chaps are on my side - The decorations have been drying overnight (it's 6.25am here) and I'll be assembling it all today so I'll post pics later today when it's all done.

funkychica1_2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funkychica1_2004 Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 3:57pm
post #26 of 57

oh my! at least you figured out what was wrong icon_smile.gif

cakemomne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemomne Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 4:13pm
post #27 of 57

Your cakes are amazing!! I looked at your web site and cannot believe you do cakes like that AND have another full time job as well. Cannot wait to see this one too.

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 4:15pm
post #28 of 57

Emma, what a gifted, generous soul you are! It is great that you share your talents (even with those who don't appreciate you!). You cake is certain to be lovely, and if your former MIL hasn't changed her not-so-sweet ways, don't be surprised or saddened if your efforts are not appreciated - it would be a shocker if she acknowledges its beauty - and that would only be a reflection on her inner self not your worth. Your cakes are fabulous!

emmascakes Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 5:33pm
post #29 of 57

Well, I finished it! Phew! Had a bit of a time doin git as my parents turned up unexpectedly today and stayed for four hours. however, it's done - I'll let you know tomrrow how ex-boyfriend receives it and next week how ex-MIL received it!
LL

lasidus1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lasidus1 Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 5:38pm
post #30 of 57

veeeeeeery nice! she'll be stumped to find anything wrong! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%