Big Wedding Cakes!

Decorating By Aaris Updated 30 Jul 2006 , 9:38pm by cakesbyjess

Aaris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aaris Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 4:20am
post #1 of 29

Ok- maybe this is a stupid question, but here goes...

how do you guys that have home based businesses do really big wedding cakes and keep them refrigerated? TIf so, how do you keep it from melting on the way if it isn't chilled? My fridge can't hold anything more than 14". Do you just use icing that doesn't need to be refrigerated? I have just been telling people I don't do weddings because I'm nervous!!

28 replies
tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 4:24am
post #2 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaris

Ok- maybe this is a stupid question, but here goes...

how do you guys that have home based businesses do really big wedding cakes and keep them refrigerated? TIf so, how do you keep it from melting on the way if it isn't chilled? My fridge can't hold anything more than 14". Do you just use icing that doesn't need to be refrigerated? I have just been telling people I don't do weddings because I'm nervous!!

For just the cakes after baking, I used my and my neighbors' freezers. I have one neighbor who has the longer, top opening freezer. That held my 16"ers.

I couldn't refrigerate any of my cakes after they were decorated because they were fondant, so I used fillings that didn't need to be refrigerated, and I left them out. (I started on Thursday for a Sat. morning wedding).

Hope this Helps. icon_smile.gif
Sarah

reenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reenie Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 4:26am
post #3 of 29

Haven't done a wedding cake yet but when I do the larger cakes I do try to use ingredients that can be left out of the fridge, if not, it's leftover/ fridge cleaning time for me and my family. I do anything to make them fit.

nicksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicksmom Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 4:40am
post #4 of 29

well i have to cleanout/rearrange items in my fridge to fit wedding cakes etc. and when I have no choice,I have taken out that DON'T HAVE to be refridgerated so as coffee,some juices syrups some condiments etc..beleive me there is a way to fit.it is hard to decide what can stay out of the cold though icon_cool.gif I had to do that this week in order to fit 4 cakes for a wedding (tomorrow)and a full sheet for a retirement cake(today) and I was throwing fits icon_cry.gif as far as icing goes,It'svery hot here(98 today icon_evil.gif )so I used all buttercream with buttercream doctored fillings,and my buttercream was left out for hours at a time even overnite and it was perfect to work with however I used water not milk.my cakes were getting VERY much condensation icon_mad.gif but you can't really help that while decorating.my car cools down with FULL A/C befor I transfer from fridge to car. there are lots of helpful hints on this site so don't hesitate with your Q's,I don't thumbs_up.gif

tastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycakes Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 4:43am
post #5 of 29

Extra fridge in basement icon_smile.gif!

magentaa23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
magentaa23 Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 4:50am
post #6 of 29

i lucked out my refrigerator in my basement holds a 20 inch board and up to a 5 tier cake... only problem is actually being able to walk in down into the basement.. lol...quick question.. iv seen alot of people post that they cant refrigerate cakes after they are fondanted?? why?? i'v been using fondant for the past 6 years and i never had a problem with any of my cakes.. iv even froze fondanted cakes and they always came out perfect, no bleeding or wetness.. maybe its the brand i use.. but i also keep my fridge realllly cold

tastycakes Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 4:55am
post #7 of 29

Magenta, I think the amount of humidity is a factor in the fridge vs. fondant arguement. I've never had a problem with that either.

As for the lugging heavy cakes, that's why I married a big burly guy.

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 4:58am
post #8 of 29

We have an extra "cake business only" fridge (i.e., no onions, garlic, leftover chinese takeout, etc. icon_wink.gif ) in our garage, and fortunately, it can hold up to an 18" cake and also a full sheet cake.

tmassey5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmassey5 Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 12:45pm
post #9 of 29

Does everyone store there cakes in the fridge? i don't ever put a buttercream cake in the fridge--or even just a cake. I don't like "cold" cake, so I haven't thought about it. -- by the way-always water in the bc icing. I do store leftover icing in the fridge if I am not going to use it very soon.
Do the cakes not sweat when they come out of the fridge?
Just curious!

vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 12:54pm
post #10 of 29

I'm still in the process of finding a garage fridge.
I look in the penny saver or someone who
fixes not so old ones. I'm not big enough
to walk into sears and get that double door
kenmore. Girl can wish though!

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 12:59pm
post #11 of 29

I've never had a problem storing fondant or buttercream in refrigeration. Never had a cake sweat when I take it out, but I will take it out a couple hours before delivery so it "softens" up a bit. I need an extra fridge/freezer soon; it would make life so much easier, especially when I'm doing 200 chocolate wedding favors! Or chocolate strawberries....or more than one cake at a time...you get my drift!

steph95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steph95 Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 1:04pm
post #12 of 29

I haven't done any wedding cakes yet, but we have a fridge in the garage that we keep bottled water, sodas, and things like extra eggs, milk, sour cream. Even then I sometimes have to rearrange or put some sodas out to accomodate the cakes. I have had to leave 1 or 2 cakes out though. I don't think I could live without an extra fridge!! But if it were necessary, I'd just have to.

cakesbyjess Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 4:54pm
post #13 of 29

tmassey5 ... I only store my whipped cream-iced cakes, cheesecakes, and chocolate covered strawberries in the fridge. I never store cakes iced in buttercream or fondant in the fridge.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 6:00pm
post #14 of 29

I am like CakesbyJess - never have put one in the refrigerator. I just delivered a big one this morning. (16", 12" and 8" with 4 stacked/ pillared satellite cakes too) It was a HUGE amount of cake - I would never have had room in a frig for all of that. (I personally do not like the taste of the cakes that have been frozen too, not sure about the refrigerated one) I only use recipes and ingredients that can be left unrefrigerated too, and have never had a problem.

tmassey5 Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 2:47am
post #15 of 29

I'm glad to here that I am not a strange person when it comes to cakes in the fridge! I have never had a problem with them not being in there. I do put cream cheese icing or cool whip or such in there because I have to, but other than that, no.
I do however have an eight tiered wedding cake and grooms cake coming up in 2 weeks. I will have to freeze a few layers. I can't even begin to guess how long it will take to bake all 18 cakes for that weekend!
I'll just be happy that the kids are back to school icon_wink.gif

cakesbyjess Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 2:57am
post #16 of 29

Eight tiers in one wedding cake??????? WOW!!! I don't think I've ever seen that many!! How big is the bottom tier ... 40 inches??? LOL icon_lol.gif

tmassey5 Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 1:16pm
post #17 of 29

I'm a little worried myself!
It won't be too bad. It is actually 2-3 tiered cakes and 1-2 tiered cake with a large topper separating those 2 tiers. Essentially it is 3 separate wedding cakes for one wedding.
It will be a large table of cake icon_biggrin.gif
If that isn't enough, the cakes will be white with cornelli lace in orange, blue and yellow on each layer! icon_surprised.gif
You just do what you are paid to do icon_wink.gif
The whole weedding will be quite a show from what I understand.

missyjo30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyjo30 Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 1:22pm
post #18 of 29

I actually don't like to refrigerate my cakes. I like them room temp and they don't melt. If I have a filling that needs it i will, but i avoid it.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 2:56pm
post #19 of 29

The cake I just delivered and set up yesterday was about the same thing - it was actually 5 different cakes all either stacked or tiered or a combination. It was a beautiful display of cakes though! (the biggest one was the 16, 12 and icon_cool.gif the others were combinations of 10", 8" and 6". It sure was a LOT of cake. They used most of it from what I have heard - so they did need all of it.

cakesbyjess Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 5:46pm
post #20 of 29

tmassey5 ... I thought you meant that there would be ONE wedding cake with EIGHT tiers ... LOL!!!! Wow ... that is one big wedding!!! You're going to be busy that weekend! But just think about that nice check you'll be getting! icon_smile.gif

Quadcrew ... WOW! That is a lot of cake!!! Are you going to post pictures of them?

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 6:07pm
post #21 of 29

I have never put cakes in the frig or freezer that were decorated. I never have a problem.

tmassey5 Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 6:25pm
post #22 of 29

I may be too afraid to post pictures of that cake! You did read that it is going to be blue, yellow and orange????
I'm afraid of what the final cake is going to look like!

I don't think I would ever atempt an 8 tier cake all together. I have a 4 tier coming up in 2 weeks and with the columns it will be 30" tall and I am so worried that it will get knocked over or something!

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 6:38pm
post #23 of 29

Magentaa I am actually surprised to hear about your success with freezing or refrigerating fondant cakes. What brand do you use? I always avoid filling that I love to make like cannoli, pudding, fresh fruit, etc. if I am using fondant and I would love to stop that!

cakesbyjess Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 7:11pm
post #24 of 29

tmassey5 ... I did read that the cake is going to be blue, yellow, and orange ( icon_surprised.gif ), but I'm sure you'll make it beautiful! icon_smile.gif

Wow ... 30" is a tall cake, but I'm sure it will be fine!! icon_smile.gif

littlemissmuffin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlemissmuffin Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 8:52pm
post #25 of 29

I found this large 8 tier at cakesbysam.com, it's beautiful. Excuse me if you have seen this pic already, I'm a noobie. LOL.

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 9:09pm
post #26 of 29

WOW!! That is an AMAZING cake-wonder what it cost??? icon_eek.gif Up to this point I have only done buttercream cakes with buttercream filling and have never refrigerated a cake. I would if I had to ie: crm cheese icing, etc. I just figure the temperature changes makes for another chance for something strange to happen. Don't want the opportunity for any extra uh-oh's with a wedding cake!! icon_eek.gif

tastycakes Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 9:13pm
post #27 of 29

tmassey5, baking all those layers is where the extra oven in the basement comes in handy!

tmassey5 Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 9:27pm
post #28 of 29

tastycakes,
you are right, that would be great! However, that is not the case for me!
I'm sure I will manage. The oven won't be as big of a challenge as only having 2 pans of each size!--not big enough to be worth the $ on the extra pans. They would mostly go unused.

That is definitely an awesome cake! I wonder what that would cost also---not enough icon_biggrin.gif

cakesbyjess Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 9:38pm
post #29 of 29

OMG ... that cake is AMAZING!!! I've never seen anything like it!!! I can't imagine how many people that must have served. I think it would have been funny to see the person cutting the cake up on a ladder cutting the top tiers. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I wonder if those are gumpaste roses or if they are real. I'm guessing they're gumpaste because Sam makes beautiful flowers. If they are gumpaste, I can't even imagine how long it must have taken to make all of them!!!!! That bottom tier has to be at least 22 inches, I would guess!!! I am just in awe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%