Cake Business In Ca

Business By melmcgill Updated 16 Jun 2007 , 4:36pm by Jorre

melmcgill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmcgill Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 7:20pm
post #1 of 5

Could any one help me out with the laws for California as for as working out of the home??

4 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 7:47pm
post #2 of 5

California does not license home kitchens. You have to build a separate kitchen for commercial licensing, or find one to rent. Not all areas allow a "commercial" enterprise in a home due to zoning restrictions.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 8:23pm
post #3 of 5

Your best place to start is within your local county because some regulations are different. Even so, I don't know of any place in Californa that will allow home baking for sale if it is done within your living quarters.
Building separate from the house, triple sinks, 2 ovens, refrigerator and freezer used only for cakes, bathroom used only by staff, all cabinets built off the floor. And all of this only if you are zoned for commercial business in a residential area. You would be better off to rent a space or work through a licensed caterer.

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 1:37pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirleyW

Your best place to start is within your local county because some regulations are different. Even so, I don't know of any place in Californa that will allow home baking for sale if it is done within your living quarters.
Building separate from the house, triple sinks, 2 ovens, refrigerator and freezer used only for cakes, bathroom used only by staff, all cabinets built off the floor. And all of this only if you are zoned for commercial business in a residential area. You would be better off to rent a space or work through a licensed caterer.

Does it have to be a SEPERATE building or can it be attached to the house and be a seperate kitchen? You need 2 ovens? Or is that a second oven from the one that is your regular oven?

Jorre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jorre Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 4:36pm
post #5 of 5

From what I understand...COMPLETELY separate, nothing connecting it to your home structure in any way. Plus you have to be zoned for commercial business and not many homes are built in commercial zoning.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%