Ribbon & Flower Advice For 1St Wedding Cake

Decorating By ladybug03 Updated 16 Jun 2007 , 11:44pm by apclassicwed

ladybug03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug03 Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 8:50pm
post #1 of 13

My first paid wedding cake is this weekend! I'm not too nervous, but will feel better if I could get some advice on a couple things.

It's a calla lily illusion cake w/black callas and satin ribbon around the edges.

Question #1: Should I use the wide or narrow black ribbon (see photos--this is a VERY trial run on some old dummies...just wanted to see the effect of the different widths). Oh, and the bride is indifferent on the width.

Question #2: Does this arrangement for the top look okay...or should I add more of the grass or something else? It will be stuck down in the top tier to the top of the ribbon wrapped around the stems.

Thanks so much!
LL
LL
LL
LL

12 replies
audreylovesbrian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audreylovesbrian Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 8:59pm
post #2 of 13

I think the arrangement looks great the way it is.

And my opinion on the ribbon, go with the wider one.

Good luck!

Kyleen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kyleen Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 9:04pm
post #3 of 13

I like the arrangement the way it is as well and I like the wide ribbon. good luck

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 9:13pm
post #4 of 13

Wide ribbon gets my vote too.

I like the arrangement on top. What I'd add is some grass (like 2 or 3 strands) on the middle tier by the calla lily.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 9:17pm
post #5 of 13

IMHO, use the wide ribbon, but the topper is missing something for me.....white leaves maybe or possibly white grass to balance the dark black, which will disappear into all their photographs?

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 9:19pm
post #6 of 13

I agree with all of the above...wide ribbon, maybe a little extra color with the callas, and it's going to be BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

sweetviolent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolent Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 9:20pm
post #7 of 13

def the wider ribbon i agree i would like to see something with a little more color in the topper to accent it. and draw your eye to it

jenndga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenndga Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 9:40pm
post #8 of 13

I also like the wider ribbon.... I also agree with the post on using some of the grass on the lower flower as well, just to tie the two together....

It will look fabulous! Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

ladybug03 Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 10:27pm
post #9 of 13

Thank you all for the replies! Now I feel much better. I'll go with the wide ribbon, and on the flower on the second tier add some grass & I think a subtle bow with the moss green sheer ribbon.

I'm still not sure what to do extra with the topper...I may leave it as is since the bride really wants everything mellow. I tried adding ribbon loops made out of the sheer mossy color around the base of the arrangement, but they looked a little fru-fru. Hmmm...well, I'm sure it will all come together in the end!

ladybug03 Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 6:30pm
post #10 of 13

Well, it's set up and done! I was much calmer (i.e. not nervous) than I expected...so that's a good thing for a first official wedding cake! Thanks again for the advice and I must credit cc'ers Briarview for the specific design & Lazy_Susan for her thread which is where I first saw this style of cake.

I think my "stems" should have been shorter and maybe my top arrangement a little lower in the cake, but otherwise, I was pleased and hope the bride loves it this afternoon!
LL

sweetviolent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolent Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 6:40pm
post #11 of 13

It turned out fantastic- so glad I got to see it-great jb!!

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 6:46pm
post #12 of 13

Lovely! I'm sure the bride will like it!

apclassicwed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apclassicwed Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 11:44pm
post #13 of 13

Beautiful..I'm sure the bride will love it

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%