Fake Cakes

Business By Mickig Updated 27 Jun 2007 , 12:57am by tiersfromheaven

Mickig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickig Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 31

Saw an article today about people renting fake wedding cakes and then serving sheet cakes to their guests...to save money. This is not a new concept to most folks on this site (serving sheet cakes or kitchen cakes), but the story was just about the fact that there aren't many businesses that actually rent fake cakes.

I don't know how others feel but I think it's sad that it's come to that. icon_sad.gif Presenting one cake as the wedding cake and then serving your guests something different. It's like putting the buffet table out but then serving your guests different food from the kitchen. icon_wink.gif

I mean, if you want or need to save money, so be it, but why do you have to hide behind a fake or different cake? If you're serving sheet cake then just serve the darned thing. I just don't get it. Is it just for pictures? "Little Joey here's the fake cake that mommy and daddy didn't eat at their wedding." Why would you even want pictures of a fake cake? icon_confused.gif I guess I must be getting old. icon_smile.gif

In my world everyone is always looking forward to the wedding reception so they can eat, drink and have some of the beautiful wedding cake. We eat with our eyes first, afterall. To me it's disappointing to see the cake and then get served a piece of sheet cake which, for all I know, could have come from the grocery store. (Went to a wedding two weeks ago, where they did exactly that.) icon_surprised.gif

Just wondered how others felt.

Mickig icon_smile.gif

30 replies
Mickig Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 12:37am
post #2 of 31

bumpity bump

SaraO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraO Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 1:54am
post #3 of 31

I agree. It's like false advertising. Lol.

bambuf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bambuf Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 2:16am
post #4 of 31

I'm not sure I have ever heard this argument put so eloquently before. I hadn't given it much thought before now, and I must say, I agree...it does kind of defeat the purpose of getting to eat with your eyes first!

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 6:36pm
post #5 of 31

I agree I think the bride is known for her wedding cake, It reflects her personality

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 6:53pm
post #6 of 31

I did an event this month with a fake cake and it's about the only logical reasoning I can come up with for using one.

It was a 50th anniversary party with a 2-tiered cake (in my pics). The dilemna was the couple wanted the cake to be on display for the guests, but understood it couldn't be on display for the whole 4 hours because it needed cut. So I suggested the fake cake for display and using sheet cakes to cut. They LUV'D this idea!

In this case, the fake cake was "just" a display and was never intended to be the cake served to guests. I charged them my wedding cake price for the fake cake & sheet cakes, based on number of servings provided in the sheet cakes.

It may be a fine line difference, but I just thought I'd share how we handled this.

Mickig Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 7:50pm
post #7 of 31

Get outta here! They paid the wedding cake price for a fake cake?? icon_surprised.gif You GO!!! I suppose I can understand doing it for that reason, though I still don't get the concept of a cake for display only unless it's a show or a shop. Cake is meant for eating, doggonit!! icon_biggrin.gif

Mickig icon_smile.gif

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 10:21pm
post #8 of 31

Sometimes it's the best thing. Read this link about the one I did for my SIL's wedding. It tells the story, and has pics. She didn't rent the dummy though... I made it for free.... http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-253221-sil.html

indydebi Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 10:47pm
post #9 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickig

Get outta here! They paid the wedding cake price for a fake cake?? icon_surprised.gif You GO!!! I suppose I can understand doing it for that reason, though I still don't get the concept of a cake for display only unless it's a show or a shop. Cake is meant for eating, doggonit!! icon_biggrin.gif

Mickig icon_smile.gif

Well it was more like they paid wedding cake rate for sheet cakes and ".... I'll throw in the fake cake at no charge."

It's all in how you word it! thumbs_up.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 11:07pm
post #10 of 31

I plan on doing a fake cake for my wedding and then serving rectangle cakes that are double layer with filling so when cut they look like the wedding cake.

But my reasoning is b/c I want to decorate it the way I want and I can do it before the wedding without any problems and have it ready to go and someone I trust can then set it up!

peacockplace Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 11:30pm
post #11 of 31

That's what I did for SIL's wedding. No one had a clue! I did cut a triangle out of the back and put real cake in it so that they could cut it.

indydebi Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 11:34pm
post #12 of 31

Maybe (MAYBE) the problem we all have is the "trickery" that's involved. Somehow it seems dishonest to display this pretty ornate cake and then "sneak" it into the kitchen, only to fool the guests with cake from another source (i.e. sheets).

Maybe if brides, hostesses, etal, were honest and up front about it .... yes, it's fake and yes, it's for display only ..... we all wouldn't be so "hmphf!" about it.

I know at the 50th anniv I mentioned, everyone thought the display was a unique idea. No one thought they were "being slipped the cheap cake" from the back.

What do you think? Is it the fact that it's a fake cake? Or is it the sneaky-ness of bait-n-switch that bugs us? icon_confused.gif

peacockplace Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 11:44pm
post #13 of 31

It was so funny at the wedding. Some people were so worried about all the extra cake. It made me laugh. I guess the cutting of the dummy was pretty convincing. SIL didn't care if people knew it was a dummy. She was glad it was because she wanted it to be there to look pretty throught the whole reception. Now it gets to look pretty on my shelf! I would have had a hard time letting someone cut this one up. It took forever! icon_biggrin.gif

peacockplace Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 11:48pm
post #14 of 31

Sorry... the pics didn't post. icon_cry.gif

I'm not usually a fan of cake-in-the-face... but they were so cute about it.
LL
LL

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 11:48pm
post #15 of 31

I made a fake cake for my sister's wedding last month. Only one tier was real cake that they cut into for the traditional photos.
Why did I do it? Because everyone was dying to see what I would come up with for my own sister, but with 2 kids in her wedding party and basically being her coordinator, I knew I wouldn't have time that week to decorate an entire cake for 280 people.
Did I deceive the crowd? Nope. The cake they ate was the same recipe & frosting I would have used had it been decorated. I just entertained them with a visual. Sheet cakes at an elegant wedding just don't mix, I think.

What is the reason for garnish on a plate? Or an expensive gown for that matter? Makeup? Limousine? It's ALL show.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 11:50pm
post #16 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

What do you think? Is it the fact that it's a fake cake? Or is it the sneaky-ness of bait-n-switch that bugs us? icon_confused.gif

I think what bothers me about it is when they aren't up front about it or they serve a single layer sheet cake. I personally find it a great opportunity to keep the display up longer (and get a head start on a cake! you get the chance to make sure the display is perfect, or at least close)

What bother's me the most is the places out there that say order a fake cake to save money. It isn't the ingredients that are so expensive, it is the skill that we have all acheived that is worth the money!

peacockplace Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 11:52pm
post #17 of 31

I'd never do that. Any kitchen cakes that come from me are torted and filled just like the stacked real deal. When it's cut no one can tell if it came from the main cake or the kitchen.

Patzzz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Patzzz Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 11:55pm
post #18 of 31

I've made a small wedding cake and had sheets cakes sitting on each side complimenting the main wedding cake. The table looked beautiful. I don't understand having a fake cake. I think the bride and groom are the 'stars' of the weddings. icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 12:05am
post #19 of 31

Patzzzz, you are right.... they are the stars of the wedding, but the cake is the centerpiece of the reception.

peacockplace Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 12:08am
post #20 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by adven68

I made a fake cake for my sister's wedding last month. Only one tier was real cake that they cut into for the traditional photos.
Why did I do it? Because everyone was dying to see what I would come up with for my own sister, but with 2 kids in her wedding party and basically being her coordinator, I knew I wouldn't have time that week to decorate an entire cake for 280 people.
Did I deceive the crowd? Nope. The cake they ate was the same recipe & frosting I would have used had it been decorated. I just entertained them with a visual. Sheet cakes at an elegant wedding just don't mix, I think.

What is the reason for garnish on a plate? Or an expensive gown for that matter? Makeup? Limousine? It's ALL show.

I was in the same situation. Two of my boys were in the wedding and the wedding and reception were two hours away from each other. In addition to the cake, I did the programs, helped plan the floral arrangements, and did any other errands that had to be run. SIL is the baby of the family and the only girl. She definately needed some "girlier" help than she could get from her brothers. icon_biggrin.gif Also, she saw a cake similar to this in a magazine and fell in love. If I hadn't done the dummy, I couldn't have made it to her wedding.

Edited for typing faster than my brain is currently working icon_lol.gif

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 12:30am
post #21 of 31

The peacock feather wedding cake in my album was a dummy. ( I actually only posted the fake tiers in my album.) A bottom 4th tier was real and they severd it. The reason we did a dummy is because they wanted me to do their cake but I work full time in healthcare. In order for me to do it I had to make it ahead of time. The morning of the wedding I made and decorated the bottom tier. I had cakes in the kitchen that they cut once the bottom tier was served. Since the cake was fondant, and most people don't like the taste, cutting BC cakes in the kitchen was very successful. Sometimes it's the only way you can get it done and I think the guests really enjoyed the cake.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 12:38am
post #22 of 31

Not meaning to take this thread in a new direction, but I have to make a reception cake this weekend, and two of the three tiers will be fake (the top two). How in the world do ya'll ice those boogers and keep them from scooting around all over the place!

indydebi Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 12:51am
post #23 of 31

2-sided tape.

peacockplace Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 12:52am
post #24 of 31

Grippy shelf liner. icon_lol.gif

bitofsnshn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bitofsnshn Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 1:32am
post #25 of 31

what a great point fairytale. Most people i know hate the fondant.

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 1:40am
post #26 of 31

i completely get the idea of having a centerpiece cake for display, and serving sheets. i think that is a great idea, everyone gets to see your beautiful artwork longer that way icon_smile.gif what i don't get is renting a dummy cake. that to me is tacky, and takes away from your special day. whats the point if its not unique and original and made just for you on your big day?

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 2:14am
post #27 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by beccakelly

what i don't get is renting a dummy cake. that to me is tacky, and takes away from your special day. whats the point if its not unique and original and made just for you on your big day?

I agree...the great thing about my sister's cake is that she took the whole top tier off in tact and has a gorgeous momento from her wedding. An original, one-of-a-kind sugar sculpture made by her sister.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacockplace

I'd never do that. Any kitchen cakes that come from me are torted and filled just like the stacked real deal. When it's cut no one can tell if it came from the main cake or the kitchen.

me too....nobody knew unless I told them. It was actually fun because a select few knew the truth and it was like our little secret. icon_smile.gif

Peacockplace...that cake was gorgeous!!!

peacockplace Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 2:27am
post #28 of 31

[quote="adven68
me too....nobody knew unless I told them. It was actually fun because a select few knew the truth and it was like our little secret. icon_smile.gif

Peacockplace...that cake was gorgeous!!![/quote]

Same here! At first some people thought it couldn't be real... then they cut it and everyone thought it was real.

Thanks so much for the compliment! icon_biggrin.gif It means a lot coming from you!

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 12:22pm
post #29 of 31

The bottom layer of this cake is a dummy I made to use again and again to make my cakes look taller. The idea was that just as I rent silver bases I could rent a bottom layer.
It wasn't a good idea, the real cake was cut on top of it and all the crumbles ruined the coverture.
oh well live and learn...
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=119233

Maria071 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria071 Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 6:38pm
post #30 of 31

What about couples that can't afford the price or a real cake or even a fake one made jsut for them. If they rent the dummy cake they can have beautiful pictures. Some wedding cakes can cost a lot of money.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%