What's Wrong W/ My Icing?

Decorating By SugarintheMorning Updated 15 Jun 2007 , 2:32am by SugarintheMorning

SugarintheMorning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarintheMorning Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 5:01pm
post #1 of 7

I'm new, trying to learn on my own...My icing seems to be too soft, although I follow the basic recipe used by Wilton. I really want a smooth cake, but when I try to let it crust, parchment and paper towels stick to the icing. I've tried refrigerating also, but after one swipe, its soft again. Any suggestions?

6 replies
cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 5:16pm
post #2 of 7

Welcome to Cake Central! You're going to love it here! thumbs_up.gif

About your icing ... any chance you're using the new trans fat free Crisco? If so, that's probably the problem. Lots of people here are having all kinds of problems with the new Crisco ... soft icing, air bubbles, etc. Here's the link to a thread where someone came up with a new recipe for buttercream using the new Crisco (plus a great post from JanH with lots of links to other related threads, on page 3): http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-333213-.html

Hope this helps! icon_biggrin.gif

SugarintheMorning Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 12:21am
post #3 of 7

Thanks, I know I did one time, but I still may be using some that I haven't taken a close look at. icon_razz.gif

vrmcc1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vrmcc1 Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 1:23am
post #4 of 7

You can try the High Humidity Buttercream recipe in the recipe section. It comes out fine with the new crisco and the cheaper walmart brand and it crust well and smooths well with a paper towel. You may need to add a little extra milk to it.

SugarintheMorning Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 2:11am
post #5 of 7

Thanks, I will DEF. try that!

jenndga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenndga Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 5:38am
post #6 of 7

I second the post about the high humidity buttercream. I LOVE that recipe, humidity or not!!! thumbs_up.gif

SugarintheMorning Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 2:32am
post #7 of 7

I made the high humidity bc and it tastes great! Especially for an icing using all shortening. I haven't used it yet, so I'm not sure about it holding up yet, but I'm very impressed w/ the taste. Thanks vrmcc1 icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%