Using Stairs

Decorating By tiersfromheaven Updated 17 Jun 2007 , 4:24pm by tiersfromheaven

tiersfromheaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiersfromheaven Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 3:12pm
post #1 of 5

I have an order coming up to do a cake with stairs which I have never done. I read the instructions but still am unsure on how to assemble. Do i really have to dig the stairs into the side of cake? That will ruin the decoration.

Does it have to be in the center or can I have it closer to the edge of the cake?

There will be dolls on the cake. Should I dowel under the stairs for support?

Kinda getting nervous. Thanks for any help!

4 replies
tiersfromheaven Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 10:01am
post #2 of 5

bump

Need help

Anyone? icon_redface.gif

angeldream1179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angeldream1179 Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 10:47am
post #3 of 5

Debbie brown has a Cinderella sair cake in her enchanted cakes book. I think she made a sheet cake and cut the pieces to make the stairs. here is the link for the cake. http://www.debbiebrownscakes.co.uk/enchanted_cakes/pages/cinderella_jpg_jpg.htm You could also make different sizes of square cakes and stack them so they are even on one side. There would be 3 sides of stairs which you could either keep as stairs or cut 2 sides so they are even and have only one side as stairs. I would definately use dowel rods. You don't want to take the chance of it falling apart.

Tartacadabra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tartacadabra Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 11:10am
post #4 of 5

Hi, i have never used the stairways but I also have the book of Wilton with the instructions in it, as they say is you have to "gently insert" the the top of the stairway to the side of the main cake. Yeah probably it will crush a bit your decoration but you could also leave that side undecorated till the stairs are attached and than finish the decoration. I also think it would be a lot easier it you have a helping hand with putting the stairways at the right position and at the same time shifting the cakes to the right position.

If you want to put doll on it, you have to dowel the point where the stairway is resting on the cake (the smaller one of the cakes).

HTH and good luck! thumbs_up.gif

Lara

tiersfromheaven Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 4:24pm
post #5 of 5

Thank You for your input!! It eased my mind to see that others had the same idea. BUT thankfully the client changed the setup last minute because she couldn't find the dolls for the stairs. Usually I would say no go but since I was so nervous about the stairs I went with it!

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%