Business Idea - Gumpaste Flowers??

Business By chelleb1974 Updated 13 Jun 2007 , 2:06am by EverlastingSweets

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 2:44pm
post #1 of 20

Hello Everyone!

I have been trying to find out about getting my kitchen licensed (I live in MA), and don't think that I, personally, can. I had an idea that might work though and am looking for opinions from all my cc friends!

I just took one of Nicholas Lodge's gumpaste classes and want to use what I learned to sell the flowers. My idea was to advertise that I make floral cake toppers that will last indefinitely. I figure I'm not selling food so it would be like any other business.

What do you guys think? I know I need to call and talk to the Health Dept, but thought I would get opinions here first!

~Chelle

19 replies
BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 2:53pm
post #2 of 20

While there may be a decent market for them - I'd worry about shipping them. The possibility of breakage would be too great a risk for me personally...

I've bought tons of videos - and know how to make them myself, but I buy pre-made ones from P&H because I don't have the time. And sugar flowers are a lot of time, for not that much $$$...

Have you thought about other forms of cake toppers? I do clay scupltures of the bride & groom... made to their likeness.

chelleb1974 Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 2:59pm
post #3 of 20

Dear Brandi,

No I haven't thought of other cake toppers - this was the first idea I had. I was not going to ship them - just deliver them locally.

Thanks for your opinion!

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 3:00pm
post #4 of 20

I like the idea!

But, you have to consider...would you be serving customers in your area, or shipping? I know in my area there would not be enough demand to sustain a business of just gumpaste. However, if you are willing to ship you could broaden your client base!

chelleb1974 Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 3:03pm
post #5 of 20

Gmcakes,

Though I don't think I want to ship them - Initially I would be looking to service customers in my area. I may ship to some friends in different parts of the country to see how they ship.

Thanks!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 3:08pm
post #6 of 20

I had saw a website that this woman did the same thing but she used cold porcelain instead of gumpaste. The business was for sale so I dont think she was making any money at it. But as long as its a side job, I dont think it could hurt to try!

chelleb1974 Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 3:13pm
post #7 of 20

Yeah - this wouldn't be my only income! I work full time as an accountant and actually love my job! It's just that I also love cake decorating and now, the gumpaste flowers. It would definitely be a side job!

Thanks!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 3:48pm
post #8 of 20

Then I say Go for it!

yankeegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yankeegal Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 4:20pm
post #9 of 20

I say go for it too!!! The idea about shipping to friends to see how they "weather" shipping is good. Also wanted to say congrats on your amazing weightloss-good for you!!

chelleb1974 Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 4:56pm
post #10 of 20

Thank you! I just have to figure out all the details now!!!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 5:08pm
post #11 of 20

when you're ready to ship let me know. I don't have the time to make flowers like I want so I would definitely be interested in buying some, expecially if you would take special orders.

chelleb1974 Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 5:18pm
post #12 of 20

Leily,

I will definitely keep you in mind! I would definitely take special orders. You can take a look at the ones I've done my clicking my website link and then the link to my photos. The pics are in the Nic Lodge folders!

~Chelle

Chef_Rinny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Rinny Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 5:18pm
post #13 of 20

Chelle,

Where did you take the gumpaste flower class? I have been searching madly for classes in the New England area but can't find any. I live in Groton, CT and wouldn't mind traveling a bit... I am dying to learn gumpaste!!!!

Thanks,
Corin

chelleb1974 Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 5:21pm
post #14 of 20

I took the class at his place in Atlanta! I was quite an experience!!! I definitely recommend it to anyone who can afford it!

~Chelle

Chef_Rinny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Rinny Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 5:24pm
post #15 of 20

Uggghh! Thats a little far for me right now. To bad I didn't do it when I lived in South Carolina! Well, I guess I will keep looking. Let me know if you would ever be willing to teach a fellow Red Sox fan some gumpaste for some side cash!

Thanks,
Corin

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 5:51pm
post #16 of 20

In my area of California you can get a license to make and sell gumpaste flowers as ornamental decorations only, not to be considered a food product.

On shipping, this is very difficult. The flowers are so fragile and even though I used small pieces of foam between petals and wrapped each flower in foam and tape, bubble wrapped between layers I sent some off to one of the CC members and I think several petals did break. I should think making them of Cold Porcelain would be better because they dry like ceramic and are nearly unbreakable.

chelleb1974 Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 5:54pm
post #17 of 20

Thanks Shirley! Haven't considered shipping yet - don't even know how long they will take to make either! Definitely something to consider!

EverlastingSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EverlastingSweets Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 1:45am
post #18 of 20

I had actually wanted to make and sell cake toppers too, but when I called our county health department, even though NO ONE eats gumpaste, it's considered edible, so I'd have to be making them out of a licensed kitchen yadda yadda... icon_sad.gif
Hopefully your area is more lenient, good luck!!!
icon_smile.gif

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 1:58am
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverlastingSweets

I had actually wanted to make and sell cake toppers too, but when I called our county health department, even though NO ONE eats gumpaste, it's considered edible, so I'd have to be making them out of a licensed kitchen yadda yadda... icon_sad.gif
Hopefully your area is more lenient, good luck!!!
icon_smile.gif

Have you considered making them of Cold Porcelain paste? It is not edible, but you can make flowers with it, they dry like porcelain china, you can make a small base of fondant for the arrangement and lay them directly on the cake, but being they are on a base and the flowers are non edible I should think they could be considered an ornament.

EverlastingSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EverlastingSweets Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 2:06am
post #20 of 20

thats true Shirley, I've never thought of cold porcelain! I'll have to look into it! My dream is revived! there's always a way...
I love this site...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%