Ribbons

Decorating By Puddiwop Updated 27 Jul 2006 , 5:00pm by Puddiwop

Puddiwop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Puddiwop Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 5:39pm
post #1 of 8

Can someone pleeeeease tell me, what kind of ribbons do you use on cakes when you are using buttercream icing?? I did a wedding cake that was beige & blue and the crisco stained the ribbon. All advice is needed and welcome.

7 replies
reenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reenie Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 5:47pm
post #2 of 8

Matbe if you use the thinker ribbon the one that has a dull finish to it and the little ribs on it. That way the ribbon is slightly thicker and does not absorb as much oils. Also, did you wait for the icing to crust before you put the ribon on it?

mendhigurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mendhigurl Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 9:31pm
post #3 of 8

sometimes if you place the ribbon on ahead of time then the crisco will get a chance to stain the entire ribbon giving it a uniform look again. No an appealing idea, but it works, and no one can tell that it's grease stains and not the actual ribbon color.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 9:42pm
post #4 of 8

I cut a thin strip that's smaller than the ribbon of wax paper and tape it behind the ribbon. I wrap that around the cake and didn't experience any problems with oil soaking through it

Cindy_Gl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy_Gl Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 10:23pm
post #5 of 8

I use organza ribbon, and have no problem whatsoever with the buttercreme staining. The organza costs more, so you would have to charge more. Hobby Lobby and Hancock fabric (not sure if they are a national chain) run sales on organza ribbon all the time.

Actually only tiered cake I have ever done with ribbon has been for family.

HTH, Cindy

dashing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dashing Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 11:22pm
post #6 of 8

Anytime I've used ribbon on BC I've always ironed waxed paper onto it and I've never had any bleeding. The wax from the paper melts onto the ribbon. I read about it years ago and have always done it so far so good!!

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 2:54pm
post #7 of 8

Something else that can be used to help with the absorption is freezer paper. Cut a strip of freezer paper a tiny fraction less than the width of the ribbon and iron the shiny side of the paper to the wrong side of the ribbon. This offers a little more crispness and stability for the ribbon and will help with the grase stains. It will obviously show through sheer ribbons, though. Be sure to test your ribbon before you pop a hot iron on a synthetic fiber and melt it icon_surprised.gif . You may need to use a press cloth.

Puddiwop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Puddiwop Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 5:00pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you all sooooo much for all your advice. I will be trying them until I get it right. And Mendhigurl, you are exactly right. That was the 1 thing that saved me. The entire ribbon absorbed the grease evenly. And again, thanks to all of you.
I love this site thumbs_up.gif I can't do my work for looking at this site EVERYDAY at work. sssssshhhhhhhhh tapedshut.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%