Ok, That's Embarrassing!!

Decorating By cakemommy Updated 29 Jul 2006 , 2:29am by cakemommy

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 3:58am
post #1 of 16

I was at the Naval Hospital today for an appt. for my son and my DH came with.....after the appt. he wanted to go to Subway which is next to the galley, anyway....while we were waiting in line he said to me..."Oh look, there's your cake!" I turned around and sure enough big as day....about 4000x's the original size was a blown up picture of my cake for the Hospital Corpsman Birthday!!!!! It was part of a collage of the cake cutting ceremony!!!!! Next to that collage was another collage of the cake I did for the actual Ball!!!!! It really donned on me right then and there that I'm not just "making a cake", I'm taking part in tradition, i.e., retirements, promotions, organization birthdays!!!!!

I felt even more proud of the work I do and the face that they want ME to be a part of their history making! Like I said, it's not just CAKE, it's so much more than that!!!!!

Thought I'd share my reality check!!!

Amy

15 replies
cowdex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowdex Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 4:01am
post #2 of 16

Congrats and I'm proud of you and your family. Thank you!

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 4:02am
post #3 of 16

Wow! That must have felt great! Did you take a picture of it???

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 4:03am
post #4 of 16

How much fun is that? Now what you gotta do is take a picture of you standing against that wall.

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 4:07am
post #5 of 16

Shouldn't be embarrassed at all! How neat for you! And, what a great perspective -- we are a part of a celebration or tradition.

This is why I get soooooo stressed out with wedding cakes. I definitely don't want to be responsible for messing up such an important day!

But, congratulations to you!

Sarah

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 4:08am
post #6 of 16

I had to call my DH in to read your post! He is always asking me why I take so much time to do the things I do when it's "just a cake". It's not just a cake but a statement, a focal point, a representation of the people we make them for. That's why we are asked to be a part of the history.

Congratulations, Amy!

shrek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shrek Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 4:12am
post #7 of 16

CONGRATS!!! thumbs_up.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 3:28pm
post #8 of 16

congrats icon_razz.gif that's a big accomplishment. It had to have warmed your heart to see that.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 3:37pm
post #9 of 16

wow, wow, wow, wow, WOW!

so true about part of a "tradition"

congrats to you!

cakemommy Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 4:03pm
post #10 of 16

Thank you everyone!

It was a proud moment but at the same time, embarrassing! I would have taken a picture of me next to it but I didn't have a camera with me and my DH doesn't work at the hospital any more. I do however deliver all my cakes just down the hall from where that bulletin board is......maybe with the next cake I deliver, next week, I'll have someone take a pic of me!!!!

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Amy

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 4:15pm
post #11 of 16

Oh gosh, cakemommy what an honor! Don't wait to take a picture!!!!! Do it this weekend, because things tend to get away from us and you will probably remember after it is too late!

Just think of the nice picture you will have to pass down to your children, then your children's children and so on! "Always building upon that tradition." icon_biggrin.gif

cakemommy Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 4:20pm
post #12 of 16

You know.....that's a great idea! Not much traffic in the hallways during the weekend. I don't want to feel like a dummy for having my picture taken standing next to a bulletin board! My mom got my sister and I started with cake decorating! She would be so proud if she were still here with us!!!!!

Amy

Sherry0565 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherry0565 Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 4:24pm
post #13 of 16

What a Great Story, and what an Honor. You should be beaming with pride! Heck, I'm beaming with pride for you!

CONGRATULATIONS!

Sherry icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

cakemommy Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 4:25pm
post #14 of 16

icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

alracntna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alracntna Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 2:00am
post #15 of 16

wow thats great i am very happy for you. hope more of this happens to you.

cakemommy Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 2:29am
post #16 of 16

Thank you so much!

It's still kind of sureal!

Amy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%