Cakes And Procedures

Decorating By missjane Updated 4 Jun 2005 , 9:19pm by AgentCakeBaker

missjane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missjane Posted 3 Jun 2005 , 5:43pm
post #1 of 5

I am just wondering about some of your procedures when it comes to cake orders, particularly wedding cakes. I have not accepted a wedding cake order yet so I am curious how you guys cover yourselves for any problems.

Here are some things I have thought about.

1) Do you give tastings with differant frostings/cake flavours and fillings so the Bride/ Groom know what they are getting?

2) Do you have them sign anything? When I got married, I had to fill out a application asking me questions like type of cake, how many servings, delivery needed and a section where they asked me to call 1 week before the wedding to confirm my cake.

3) Do you have a backup baker/decorater just incase you get too sick to complete the cake?

4) Do you sketch the cake and get approval for your designs?

5) Do you ask for a refundable deposit for the props used to display the cake Ie, columns, figurines, cake stands etc..

6) Do you provide the caterer or server with instructions about how to cut/display the cake?

Maybe I think too much! lol...

4 replies
cakes-r-us Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes-r-us Posted 3 Jun 2005 , 6:15pm
post #2 of 5

Hi there, no you are not thinking too much, these are things you need to think about. I give tasting to the bride and groom, but only of flavors I feel comfortable making, so I limit there choices to what I make, so far so good. Q2-do all of that, get everything down specifically, give them a copy. Now I don't have a back-up backer, maybe something to look into. I don't sketch, I have pictures to show or they may have pictures of something that they like. Yes to Q5 and Q6. I request a deposit in the amount of the replacement costs. Refundable of course when all is returned. I have a cutting chart available if family members are cutting the cake or if caterer requests. Usually they know how to cut. If I'm asked to cut the cake I charge $75 for that with no problems. Good luck on making wedding cakes. Get yourself a contract that you will use, you can get a deposit on the cake but make sure you are paid in full before setup and delivery. I also charge $35 for setup and delivery. Be on time or early, always take pictures and I send a first anniversary card and get more cake orders. Good luck to you.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 3 Jun 2005 , 6:27pm
post #3 of 5

Good idea on sending the anniversary card cakes-r-us... I hadn't thought of that... I'll have to make sure and mark my calendar ahead of time (a week ahead) and mail them a card for their anniversary ... I usually put my charge for setup/delivery in the cost of my cake .. maybe I need to separate mine out like you're doing .. thanks for the info icon_smile.gif some really good ideas!

missjane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missjane Posted 3 Jun 2005 , 7:28pm
post #4 of 5

Thankyou for your advice.. I remember what I was like as a bride so if I get someone like me, I want to be able to have no communication breakdowns or problems..icon_smile.gif

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 4 Jun 2005 , 9:19pm
post #5 of 5

Miss Jane

I give tastings but only offer certain cake flavors. If they require fillings then I would make the filling that they request to taste with my cake flavors.

I have a contract that I made up for my own safety. My application/contract includes the following:
name, address, name and address of reception location, phone number for both client and reception location, contact person and number, description of the cake such as size, shape, and number of servings, description of cake design, and a space for special instructions. I also include terms and conditions about the cake, setup, delivery, refunds, cancellations, check returns, photos taken, and a fee schedule for extra requests. My clients sign the contract once they have agreed to all the terms.

I give my clients a sketch of the cake or a picture from a book. I also charge them a rental fee for my cake stands and other accessories. This fee is refundable when my items are returned. If items are not returned by a certain date then I will retain their fee to cover my lost items.

I do provide a cake cutting guide whether the servants are professional or not. I also have someone sign a form saying the cake was delivered and setup properly for the reception.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS take pictures of your cake before and after setup. Better safe then sorry.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%