Just An Observation...

Decorating By tobycat Updated 26 Jul 2006 , 4:41am by Cake_Mooma

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 6:48am
post #1 of 37

My daughter (3) was invited to 2 birthday parties on the same day. I did two cakes and cupcake tree for the 1st party -- Dora theme. Very festive.

The 2nd party had 2 ice-cream cakes (a 9" and a 9x13) Choc w/ 2 layers of vanilla ice cream. I know that the cakes were store bought. My observation was this....

I've never seen a less decorated cake in my life! Both cakes were iced with a whip cream based icing. Round sprinkles were haphazardly thrown around the bottom border of each cake (about 1" high). And, there was no actual border! The top had no border either and just said "Happy Birthday Tina." They spent a good amount for each cake.

Anyway, I'm not here to put down the person who created the cake. After all, the customer knew what they were buying, BUT... it sure made me feel that what I do is worth the money. I mean, I spent a good deal of time creating the cakes (actually I made 2 -- one for the birthday party with dad and one for the birthday party with the mom's family), and seeing those other cakes just reminded me we on CC do when we put our hearts into decorating a cake.

Just an observation, and a bit of a ramble before bed.

Sarah

36 replies
emilykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilykakes Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 1:37pm
post #2 of 37

So many people are just used to the generic store-boutght cakes. Until my husband married me, he had never had a nice home-made cake. I on the other hand never had a store bought cake. My mom ALWAYS did our birthday/shower/wedding cakes. It just depends on what you have been exposed to. It is kinda sad that a lot of people think having a special cake is reserved for weddings. I just don't think that people realize what is availble to them.

MissT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissT Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 1:43pm
post #3 of 37

My husband took one of my cakes into work with him yesterday and his fellow employees were amazed that I bake!! They couldn't believe that I make my own frosting and could decorate the way I did. They are just way too used to storebought cakes I guess. icon_sad.gif

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 1:49pm
post #4 of 37

Its funny because my daughter is now 23 and she still wants me to make her birthday cake. When she was younger and I was working I once asked her if she would mind if I bough her cake and she said it was ok with her but I could see from the look on her face that she was disappointed so I made her cake myself. I guess it is in how you are brough up lol but now that she is older it's a nice feeling to know that in her heart she appreciated it every time.

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 1:57pm
post #5 of 37

It is sorta like creating your own monster in some cases. I have family that pays me full price for cakes and others that pay cost which is always off because I will add a fondant figure and not charge them for it. My daughter every year has a cake that is over the top. We did three tiers with a jungle theme.
My cousin will ask me "what would you normally charge" and always says "you spend a lot of time on these cakes so You need to be paid for them." Which is true but I love doing it for her because she truly does apprciate it.

My family once bought me a DQ cake and said "we couldn't ask you to do it"--My reply "uhhh yes you can!"

alip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alip Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 2:00pm
post #6 of 37

Growing up my mom always made our birthday cakes. I guess that's why it's so important to me to make cakes for my children.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 2:04pm
post #7 of 37

Well I know for sure that most people are short on time. Run the kids to that ball game or soccer practice, go to the gym and do some cardio, fix that screen door etc.

When I was growing up, if it was home made then you were "mighty poor folk." Isn't that just the saddest little thought.

I just remembered something.........since I am very creative, I use to make all my own Valentine Cards as a kid - until I hit the 5th grade, my then best friend told me if I couldn't afford to buy the cards then she would loan me some money........... icon_sad.gif

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 2:07pm
post #8 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by moydear77

My family once bought me a DQ cake and said "we couldn't ask you to do it"--My reply "uhhh yes you can!"

LOL I'm lucky, I have a twin sister. This year I made 'our' cake- but everyone still thought that was weird (you can't make your own bday cake). LOL yes I can.

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 2:08pm
post #9 of 37

My husband always have a piece of cake in his lunch at work, and in the first weeks, his coworkers asked him who's birthday it was, because they thought the birthday cake was lasting a lon time. But he told them that he always has cake at home because because his wife is a cake decorator and she needs to do practice cakes! Now he's even handing business cards, he keeps cards in his lunch box. I got a few calls that way! Besides I get direct feedback. They always tell hubby how it was...

My mom, though, still buys store bought cakes. that makes me sad. She never baked desserts, always bought them. Well, I guess she'll never change!!!

peachquilter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peachquilter Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 2:15pm
post #10 of 37

My dad always made my cakes growing up and I do the same for my 3. There have only been a couple of time when I couldn't. Once I was preggo with the 3rd and had horrible am sickness and just a couple of weeks ago, we were camping for 10 days. I took DD out for ice cream instead and made a combo cake for her and DFIL the next week.

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 2:17pm
post #11 of 37

Reading this brings up memories and so I have to share this....

My aunt-in-law had a baby shower a little over a year ago and it was her 4th child. She wanted to have a shower b/c her kids were older and she didn't have anything. At any rate she wanted a simple shower and asked if I would make my famous strawberry cake (white cake, strawberry jello poored in w/fresh strawberries & coolwhip on top) nothing big, but my DH side of the family loves it and will get upset if I don't make it for any big family get together. At any rate I agreed to make it for b/c she didn't want the "traditional" shower cake bought from the store. Okay, move ahead to the day of the shower. I arrive at my MIL's house w/cake and you would not believe what was on the table...a 1/2 sheet cake from Busken's (local bakery)! I was so peeved (sp)!!!!! My MIL (preggo's sister) bought it! When preggo arrived she saw it and thanked my MIL and my MIL said that she just had to buy a "real" cake for the shower!! I was so upset, but didn't say anything. Needless to say the bakery cake wasn't touched and my cake was the only cake eaten!! icon_smile.gif Serves my MIL right to go and spend the money she probably didn't have! (hehehe)

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 2:20pm
post #12 of 37
Quote:
Quote:

LOL I'm lucky, I have a twin sister. This year I made 'our' cake- but everyone still thought that was weird (you can't make your own bday cake). LOL yes I can.

Thankfully for me, yes you can!!! For my 21st B-day I was away at college & I baked myself a 3D Ducky cake. Unfortunately, my friend that was supposed to come over and go out w/ me bailed, so I ended up w/ all this cake and no one to share it with! I took it to one of my classes the next day - not fun though as I had to transport it like 3 times on buses! And I almost had a homeless man attack me for it (I think.... he was following me & looked scary enough that I was walking quickly towards the bus-line). Anyway - it turned out great and my classmates appreciated it. But if I hadn't made my own cake - I wouldn't have had one!

I think the saddest thing is when people want a good cake but can't afford it at all - for example, I had someone ask me to make a sheetcake and I said I probably couldn't do it for under $35... for cost & labor - that was the lowest I could go. She couldn't afford to do it and I didn't have the time to do the cake for any less..... the cake they ended up getting tasted okay - but it wasn't something I wanted more than one little piece of.. I ended up making another cake for them for free as a graduation gift and they raved about it - but I know that they can't use me for simple birthday or celebration cakes simply b/c they don't/can't spend much money on a cake.

BTW = not to take over the thread or anything, but has anyone ever made an ice cream cake? I've never tried it but I always wondered about it...... I heard all the icing was made of lard on ice cream cakes... blech.

ngarza07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngarza07 Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 2:28pm
post #13 of 37

IMARTSY - Regarding your Ice Cream Cake question. I have bought and made ice cream cakes. The store bought have always had whipped topping icing. Nothing disgusting and they were pretty good. The homemade ones turned out good. Just have to be quick at decorating before it melts. The cakes I've made myself were square and I used the Thrifty brand ice cream cause it comes in boxes and I was able to slice to fit the cake - versus letting it melt some and fitting into a pan and then refreezing and getting out of the pan to layer with cake (too much hassle).

imartsy Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 2:34pm
post #14 of 37

Has anyone posted instructions on making ice cream cakes? What about making your own ice cream with them? Can you do that, or is home-made ice cream too soft for cakes? (I only made homemade ice cream once and it didn't freeze right and melted very quickly - but then again, maybe I did something wrong)

mconrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mconrey Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 2:37pm
post #15 of 37

Wanting home-made cakes for my kid's birthdays is what got me into cake decorating. When I was growing up, my mom ALWAYS did a Barbie doll cake for my birthday. I have such fond memories of those cakes. When my eldest daughter turned one I went with the store bought Costco cake and felt so guilty about it. I wanted my girls to have great memories of their parties just like I did. So, I started taking classes right after that! Now it's such fun to plan the cakes and get my daghters' input on what they want, etc. I will never do a store bought cake again!

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 2:42pm
post #16 of 37

That was funny what someone said about a home made cake meant you were too poor to buy a bakery one.................many a year I made birthday cakes for my kids (very crude looking, before I learned how to decorate) and actually felt bad they did not have a fancy cake because we were so broke, especially when they had a friend over. But I knew they knew it was made with love, and to them it didn't matter, and years later when talking about it they even told me that. Now that I can decorate better I feel better about making cakes for them, which they still appreciate. Am looking forward to designing and doing a wedding shower cake for my one daughter, and also a 1st birthday cake for my grandson in December.

tiptop57 Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 2:44pm
post #17 of 37

mconrey
Welcome to CC!

ngarza07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngarza07 Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 2:55pm
post #18 of 37

Have to pitch in my two cents. I too grew up with a mom making my bday cakes. I'm forty and she is still making them. I picked up on her passion for cakes and starting baking at a young age. When I had my daughter five years ago, my friends were SHOCKED that I purchased her baptism and 1st bday cakes. They were from a local bakery that makes AMAZING cakes and I paid $200 for full sheet cakes. No decor on them. Just fresh berries around the borders with shaved chocolate on top. They make the most yummiest filling and icing. I have tried to duplicate, am getting close, but not quite yet. I did make her 1st bday 6" smash cake though. I decorated it with the same sugar cookies I had made for the goodie bags. After all the 'guilt' trips from family friends, I started baking her cakes after that. This year the place we had her party at did not allow outside food and provided a cake. The cake was really good, but of course, once again family and friends complained and said it wasn't the same as mine. I did bake her a special cake for at home and later that evening we sang to her and cut her 3-tier Strawberry Shortcake themed cake with just immediate family. She was so excited to have an 'after-party'. She wanted to invite all 35 kids to our home. Hubby and I were like, no, no, no. Just her best friend and her cousins - and that was 10 kids.

imartsy Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 3:01pm
post #19 of 37

okay I've seen that term a lot "Smash Cake" - what in the world is that???? Anyone else know what a "mudcake" is too? I know it's a little off topic - I've just always wondered what those terms meant.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 3:10pm
post #20 of 37

A smash cake is a very small version of either a larger birthday cake or just a small cake for the child/baby to smash up and eat by themselves. They usually make a total mess of it and of course, you have to take pictures and chocolate smash cakes make the best ones! icon_biggrin.gif

aggiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiecakes Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 3:16pm
post #21 of 37

We have always bought our cakes from a local bakery that does better than the generic grocery store cake, but does not do anything really elaborate (no fondant, gumpaste, etc). Just the basic sheetcake. Their cakes are really good, but I have always wanted something over-the-top for my girls birthdays. That's why I just decided to do it myself. My girls have not had a bday yet since I have started this, but we have one in November and I have already been planning what I want to do. Hopefully, my icing will be nice and smooth by November.

I remember my mom always telling me, if you want something done a particular way, you just have to do it yourself!

cakerlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerlady Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 3:53pm
post #22 of 37

I went to my rheumatologist in May (I have fibromyalgia) and proudly announced to him that I was decorating cakes as a hobby. He said to me,"What is there to decorate a cake? You just open the box, mix in the ingredients, bake it and throw a can of frosting on it!" I was so mad at him I could have spit!!

I'm seriously considering doing a cake and bringing it to his office for my next appointment.

imartsy Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 3:57pm
post #23 of 37

cakerlady - I wouldn't bother! It doesn't sound like he'd appreciate it. Maybe you could bring some pictures in to show him what "real" decorating looks like. He's probably never seen it! Then if he wants to ORDER a cake... you could make him one. But I wouldn't just go making one for someone who sounds like they wouldn't really appreciate it - unless you really want to - then it's of course up to you!

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 4:02pm
post #24 of 37

cakerlady ~ If I were you, I would change doctors. I couldn't go to one who is so ignorant about someone's feelings.
I just peeked at your cakes and you do a great job with them. Keep on decorating!!!

tiptop57 Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 4:15pm
post #25 of 37

Oh ya cakerlady, your rheumatologist reminds me of another thread where the bride thought she could make her own cake since ya just "slap some frosting on the cake"........BTW ask him what is there is to being a rheumatologist, walk in the room say hello to the patient, write out a prescription and you're done. That aught ta get 'em peeved. icon_twisted.gif

Being an artist so long, I have heard 'em all, the most disappointing comments are "Hmmmm, interesting." I can respond to ignorance but not to "hmmm interesting."thumbsdown.gif

cakes47 Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 4:21pm
post #26 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptop57

Oh ya cakerlady, your rheumatologist reminds me of another thread where the bride thought she could make her own cake since ya just "slap some frosting on the cake"........BTW ask him what is there is to being a rheumatologist, walk in the room say hello to the patient, write out a prescription and you're done. That aught ta get 'em peeved. icon_twisted.gif

I'm still doubled up laughing!! What a fantastic come-back!! LOL

cakes47 Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 4:21pm
post #27 of 37
Quote:

cakes47 Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 4:22pm
post #28 of 37

tiptop57 ~

Quote:

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 5:51pm
post #29 of 37

Before I got into cake decorating...I actually thought the store cakes were pretty, and I thought doing tiers was ONLY for weddings icon_biggrin.gif They probably don't know any better.

I did some cute cupcakes for a friend's daughter's second birthday. She had bought a store-bought sheet cake to serve the adults (why, I will never know...I would have been happy to do a cake...I wasn't charging her since I am not legal...it was a gift). The grownups where throwing out their cakes and eating what the rest of the cupcakes that their kids had left on their plates! icon_biggrin.gif

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 6:21pm
post #30 of 37

My mother didn't bake cakes, she was a pie baker, and unfortunately I am not a pie eater. Anyway, I didn't get too many home made cakes unless they were at my grandmothers house. Grandma made the BEST chocolate cakes, but my favorite was her banana spice cake (I still drool thinking about it!). Now me, I'm a cake baker, so my kids get their cakes made by me. I have even heard my daughter tell one of her friends that my cakes were the best, and that was at her friends birthday party!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%