Help With Wilton Ready-Made Gumpaste

Decorating By mrsright41401 Updated 26 Jul 2006 , 4:15am by Tat

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 3:28am
post #1 of 10

I'm working on the Gumpaste Roses for the wedding cake due in 9 days and I ran out of the Ready-Made Nick Lodge Gumpaste that I got. I have 3 bags of the Wilton brand of ready-made gumpaste and I just CAN NOT get it to roll out without cracking and when I run it through my pasta machine it falls into tiny lace like pieces and crumbles.

I can return 2 of the bags, but I REALLY don't want to have to do that. I can make my own Nick Lodge Gumpaste, but I'd really rather just work with what I have that is pre-made cuz I'm running short on time for these roses!

I've kept it wrapped tight, I tear off a chunk and massage shortening into it, but NOTHING seems to help! HELP ME!

Rachel

9 replies
mnmmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mnmmommy Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 3:42am
post #2 of 10

I had such a problem with the Wilton gumpasted too. I could not get it smooth and get the lines out of it. No matter how much I tried and also adding crisco to it.

Hopefully it will work out for you.

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 3:46am
post #3 of 10

Uh oh, I just bought a bag of this today.....

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 4:08am
post #4 of 10

I've used it for a few things and like it. I haven't tried using it with a pasta maker though, so I can't help you out with that part of things.

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 4:24am
post #5 of 10

I know that in the wilton gumpaste class (we used the pwdr gumpaste mix) we added small amounts of fondant to the gum paste to give it more moisture and more time to work.

If you are accustomed to using Nick Lodge's straight from the package, you're probably going to have to change your methods to work with the wilton. Nick Lodge's is seriously gummy and it's hard for me to roll out thinly enough unless I add fondant to it.

The last roses I made, the gumpaste was drying so quickly I changed to the Sylvia Weinstock method of making petals:

http://archives.cnn.com/2000/FOOD/news/02/09/sylvia.weinstock/icing.html

(click on the sugar rose how-to link below the pic of the book)

To make a petal, just take a pea size ball of gumpaste, roll one end to form a tear drop shape. I put it in the palm of my hand and enlarge the petal using the ball tool. Thin the edge and cup the center. Lay petal over an inverted egg carton. make 3 or 4 then go back to the first to attach.

Anyway, no dried, cracking petal edges! Oh, put a little shortening on your hands first!

Sorry if this is too much information.

nicksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicksmom Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 4:24am
post #6 of 10

I have used it a few times now and really like it,haven't found any problems.I'm baffeled that you knead it and use shortning and it still doesn't work for you icon_eek.gif .wish I had a helpful hint but I don't...I use shortning and kneadtoo.OH yeah...the gumtex,I always add gumtex to it I forgot(it's1am should go to bed!).good luck thumbs_up.gif

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 4:28am
post #7 of 10

I, too, just bought a bag of this stuff, but haven't tried it yet. I did, however, have luck with the ready-to-mix Wilton gumpaste. I was able to make a decent looking rose on my first try (using gumpaste and making a rose!) Good luck!

Sarah

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 3:58am
post #8 of 10

No doubt that the Wilton Ready-Made is weird right out of the bag--dry and crumbly--but I find that by kneading Crisco into it in small batches, I get a great product. I made flags and a diploma with it and I was delighted with how smooth it was and how quickly it dried.

I roll it out on vinyl with the small fondant roller and use a littlel bit of cornstarch if the humidity makes it sticky.

Rae

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 4:07am
post #9 of 10

I just bought a bag of the stuff too! I also bought the powder and glycerin to see which I would like best.

Tat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tat Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 4:15am
post #10 of 10

Today must be the day for buying Gumpaste...I too just bought my first bag of it today. I've been wanting to try it out. I made some ribbons and streamers and a number out of it today. It's drying as I type icon_biggrin.gif I didn't have a problem with it. I did however mix it with wilton fondant and some crisco...Maybe you just got an old batch???

Tat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%