Bulging Sides

Decorating By jmcooley Updated 10 Jun 2007 , 11:56am by jmcooley

jmcooley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmcooley Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 7:45pm
post #1 of 6

I started decorating in 1999, never had any trouble with my sides bulging. I stopped decorating for a while because of a house fire, new baby. Recently started back and have been having trouble with my sides bulging when stacking layers. I tried doming further inward to see if that would make a difference but it did not. I think I may be taking off too much icing from the sides when I'm trying to smooth the cake. Any suggestions?

5 replies
nutcase68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nutcase68 Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 12:21am
post #2 of 6

Are you giving your cakes enough time to rest after they cool or are you using them right after they cool? Rest is not the right word either. I think I want settle. If you use your cake too soon after it comes out of the oven it does not have a chance to settle.
If you put a filling in it, did you use a dam?
Mary

jmcooley Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 3:10am
post #3 of 6

Thanks for posting. I do make a dam. I trired moving in inward but still had bulging, I thought I was leaving enough time for them to settle, but apparently not. I found in another section of the forum that someone posted a similar problem. One of the suggestions was to put a heavy pan on the cake after it was filled for appx 20 minutes or so to help it settle. Also, I use to use a simply sugar, water, flavoring glaze, which I have been skipping unless its a wedding cake. Maybe that could be part of the problem. Do you glaze your cake or crumb coat before applying final coat.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 3:21am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcooley

I started decorating in 1999, never had any trouble with my sides bulging. I stopped decorating for a while because of a house fire, new baby. Recently started back and have been having trouble with my sides bulging when stacking layers. I tried doming further inward to see if that would make a difference but it did not. I think I may be taking off too much icing from the sides when I'm trying to smooth the cake. Any suggestions?

Are you putting too much filling in the middle? If there is too much filling there is only one way for to expand when the top layers are added - outwards. The result will be the "cake belly bulge". Try using less filling and see if that helps.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 4:33am
post #5 of 6

This was helpful for me....

http://www.cakeboss.com/PreventBulging.aspx

?Coupon=CC2015"icon_wink.gif"

jmcooley Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 11:56am
post #6 of 6

Thank you all for replying. It was very helpful. I think its a combination between too much filling and not letting it settle long enough.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%