Help! I'm In The Middle Of A Possible Cake Disaster

Decorating By aoliveira Updated 11 Jun 2007 , 8:57pm by prterrell

aoliveira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aoliveira Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 12

Last night I made a treasure chest cake. The bottom part was no problem. The lid I made with round cakes cut in half. So far, so good. I covered each in fondant and handpainted the fondant. When I went to put the lid on the cake (I put 6 dowels in). I noticed that the bottom cake bulged out on the side a tiny bit. The lid is definitely heavy and I wanted it to stay open a little bit with the treasures falling out. The cake will sit out on display and I'm afraid the lid will be too heavy and the cake under it won't be able to support it.

What do I do? Right now it's not assembled, but once it is, it will sit for about 3 hours before it's cut.

Any advice is highly appreciated. I am desperate.

Thanks,

Alex

11 replies
thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 4:18pm
post #2 of 12

Are you sure it's bulging because of the weight of the lid? If it's doweled correctly it dowels should be supporting the weight not the lid.

Debbie

Bethroze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethroze Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 4:18pm
post #3 of 12

Is there any way you could take a picture for me? I am not visualizing the lid.

One suggestion, chill it completely before you set it out. Perhaps even 30 minutes in the freezer. I sometimes do this with my wedding cakes that have to travel in hot weather.

anne4588 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anne4588 Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 4:20pm
post #4 of 12

what did you make the lid out of? that will help a lot

Wiltonlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wiltonlady Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 4:20pm
post #5 of 12

Can you add more dowels to it?

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 4:26pm
post #6 of 12

lay the lid flat on the cake and hollow out a bit and add a dark shadow with frosting and tuck the treasure in there it will give the illusion of a raised lid.

nex time make a base with a board and screw dowels on to it and lower the cake on to it then screw those dowels on to the board the lid will rest on and place the lid on it.

aoliveira Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 5:00pm
post #7 of 12

The lid is made of 4 round cakes cut in half and put together to give that dome look. It's covered in fondant. It feels pretty heavy.

Here are pics of the lid.

Thanks,
Alex
LL

aoliveira Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 5:04pm
post #8 of 12

msmeg,
Can you be more specific about the board and dowel suggestion? What kind of board and how do you screw dowels into it? The dowels are too thin and will probably crack. I guess I'm just not sure how to do it.

Thanks,
Alex

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 5:09pm
post #9 of 12

wow I thought that lid was the whole cake. Is it possible that you can use a dummy for the lid? I hope you find your answer, Ihave no suggestions, but I wish you luck.

Bethroze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethroze Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 8:08pm
post #10 of 12

Go to Lowes and buy one inch dowels and have them cut them there. You won't be able to see them once the treasure is inserted anyway. Just a thought. You will also need to use masonite instead of cardboard for the bottom of the lid.

It looks great...good luck!

jewelykaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelykaye Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 8:10pm
post #11 of 12

I doubt you are going to want or even have time to do this. But I would sugest to make the lid out of rice krispies and wrap in fondant. That would make it lighter.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 8:57pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelykaye

I doubt you are going to want or even have time to do this. But I would sugest to make the lid out of rice krispies and wrap in fondant. That would make it lighter.

That's what I plan to do when I make my treasure chest cake a month from now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%