Do You Prefer Buttercream Or Fondant?

Business By missmeg Updated 9 Jun 2007 , 4:49pm by prterrell

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 4:08pm
post #1 of 8

I find myself really preferring to work in buttercream. I only have 2 experiences with fondant, and I wan't overly impressed. Of course they were both Wilton's ready-made, so that might be the reason why...

What's your suggestion on getting more comfortable working with fondant? And as a side...what the heck is MMF?

7 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 4:11pm
post #2 of 8

MMF is marshmallow fondant, an easy recipe for making fondant.

Wilton fondant, although not that tasty, is about the easiest fondant to use. It does take practice. There are a few videos that show how to apply it. one is at atecousa.com

There are a number of decorators, like Sylvia Weinstocl, who only work in buttercream, never fondant.

Tartacadabra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tartacadabra Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 11:17am
post #3 of 8

Actually I only do cakes with fondant (or rolled marzipan, very common here in Holland). It takes a bit of practise but just like Joanne suggests, if you look at one of the instruction videos, that will help a lot.
Sometimes I make cakes with ganache covering but that's for our chocolate-loving family here icon_wink.gif The fondant gives you wheeps of possibilities I feel and also make the cakes really smooth and neatly. But of course everyone has its own personal taste, I watched fondant cakes first and fell in love with Collette Peters work so.... icon_biggrin.gif

But to be honest, if you are having fun with the BC-cakes, just keep on doing them, fun is the most important thing with this!!! icon_smile.gif

Good luck!!

Lara

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 11:40am
post #4 of 8

First of all...get rid of the Wilton and don't ever buy it again. It's simply disgusting. Buy a tub of SatinIce ....it, IMO is extremely easy to work with. It goes on smoothly...it does not dry out quickly (and even if you forget a piece, uncovered, on your counter for 2 hours, you can still just knead it and it will get back to it's smooth consistency.)
I cover both bases....all my cakes are fondant....but they also have a nice layer of BC underneath them. icon_biggrin.gif
But, for me, there is no limit to what you can accomplish with fondant.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 11:52am
post #5 of 8

I really prefer fondant. I think I am better at it, and I am less worried about messing it up.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 12:07pm
post #6 of 8

Gosh, I expect you'll get a lot of varied answers on this one! I'm a BC only person. The few brides who have asked about fondant have just really been looking for the smooth look .... once they see we can do fondant smooth in bc, they are fine with it.

Not doing fondant doesn't seem to have hindered me ... my calendar is pretty much always full. I suspect that those who work only in fondant would say the same thing, and that their calendar is pretty full

I just dont' feel that I could do as well with fondant. Plus our philosophy is "we keep it simple for you" and that includes a simple price. Fondant is labor intensive and we dont' want to charge a bride that much for a cake.

Now....that said, I may be venturing outside of my box this summer! My niece is having a Hershey Kiss themed wedding shower so I want to try to make a Hershey Kiss cake ...... and I just "might" try using a chocolate fondant-type material for it! So heads up, everyone! I'm sure I'll be asking for lots of help and tips for this project. I'm scared and excited about trying this one!

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 2:00pm
post #7 of 8

As an amateur cake decorator & professional cake eater (LOL) I prefer the workability and taste of buttercream. I find fondant harder to work with. It really was hard on my wrists and it is not easy (for me) to get a perfectly smooth finish. I am not overwhelmed with the taste of fondant, but Satin Ice is quite good.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 4:49pm
post #8 of 8

I use both. I ice the cakes and do a lot of the deco (borders, writing, etc) in buttercream. I love fondant for accents, such as bows, flowers, shapes, figurines, etc. As for the taste, I thought I hated the taste until I ate Satin Ice! Now I love the taste!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%