Lemon Filling (I Searched The Recipes And Didn't Find It)

Decorating By Momof3boys Updated 8 Jun 2007 , 4:34am by Momof3boys

Momof3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof3boys Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 3:50am
post #1 of 11

My mom wants a white cake with lemon filling with white (BC) icing. I want to use lemon curd but should I add something to it? I've never used lemon curd before and not sure of the texture. Thanks for any help.

Diane

10 replies
cakesonoccasion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesonoccasion Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 3:54am
post #2 of 11

Nope- use it straight from the jar. It's yummy!!

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 4:02am
post #3 of 11

Yeah, use it as it...that's a delicious combo. I love lemon curd and it's easy to make.

chrikky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrikky Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 4:06am
post #4 of 11

That sounds really Yummy, anyone have a recipe for lemon curd?

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 4:11am
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrikky

That sounds really Yummy, anyone have a recipe for lemon curd?

Yes, I'd like the recipe for lemon curd too!! What other cake flavors would this go with besides white and lemon??

Marina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marina Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 4:12am
post #6 of 11

Look in the Cake Doctor book...there's a recipe in there for a lime curd, but I always substitute lemon for the lime. Very delish! thumbs_up.gif

Jessica176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessica176 Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 4:20am
post #7 of 11

I have used lemon curd too, YUM!!! But I often mix it with buttercream. It makes it go a little further and gives it this great creamy melt in the mouth texture. I couldn't tell you how much curd to buttercream I use, I just get the buttercream and scoop a heap of curd in, then taste. If I think it needs more, I just put more in. This is also great if you are making a cake for someone who likes a delicate lemon flavour rather than really tangy.

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 4:24am
post #8 of 11

I use this recipe for lemon curd and it's a show stopper every time. It's my most requested filling.

5 eggs (2 whole and 3 yolks)
1/4 cup unsalted butter
6 TBS sugar
zest of 2 lemons
juice of 2 lemons strained.

Place all ingredients in a double boiler above gently simmering water. Mix with a whisk until butter is melted and sugar is disolved. Then cook about 3 minutes more until the curd is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. (I usually go a little longer than this stage though). Remove from heat and press through a fine-meshed sieve. Cover curd immediately with plastic wrap and poke a couple of holes in the top with a knife. (Directlions I got actually said with a knife -- don't know why not with a fork, but I've always used a knife.) Refrigerate immediately for at least 3. I

Enjoy!

S.

Queenbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Queenbaker Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 4:28am
post #9 of 11

This is an easy recipe that I use.
3 large egg yolks( beaten with a fork)
Zest from 1 lemon
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice ( 2 to 3 lemons )
6 Tbl sugar
4 Tbl chilled unsalted butter ( cut into small pieces)
Combine egg yolks, lemon zest, juice and sugar in a small saucepan. Place over medium heat, cook while stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Scrape sides & bottom of pan while cooking. Cook until it starts to thicken and coats the back of a spoon. 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat and add butter a little at a time. Stirring with wooden spoon until smooth. Pour into a bowl and cover curd with plastic wrap so it won't have a skin cover.. Let cool, then refrigerate for about 1 hour and will keep for up to 2 days. You can double the recipe for cake filling.

eriksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eriksmom Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 4:29am
post #10 of 11

I've used this lemon citrus recipe I found here on CC many times, and it's really yummy. I have no idea what lemon curd looks or tastes like, so I couldn't compare this to curd, but I've gotten many compliments on it.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-724-Lemon-Orange-Filling.html

Momof3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof3boys Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 4:34am
post #11 of 11

Thank you so much everyone. My mom said her mother used to make lemon curd home made and it was divine. If I could do that for her that would be so awesome I appreciate all of the help!!
I'll let you know how it turns out.

Diane

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%