Pea In A Pod Ideas For Baby Shower

Decorating By fytar Updated 8 Mar 2007 , 3:54pm by cakesbyjess

fytar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fytar Posted 1 Jun 2005 , 6:55pm
post #1 of 20

I need some advice on how to make a pea in a pod cake. I don't want it to be flat. My thoughts right now are that I want to use my ball pan to make the baby's head w/face (the "sweet" pea) and maybe fondant or something to shape around that to resemble a pea pod. I will probably put this on top of a sheet cake. I am going to try to attach a picture of what I want my cake to look like. I would appreciate any advice on how to get this look. I have never done fondant, but will start Course III this coming Sunday which will give me plenty of time (hopefully) to learn by the time the baby shower rolls around. Thanks so much. Tarina
LL

19 replies
Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 1 Jun 2005 , 7:28pm
post #2 of 20

I think your idea is great! I might have to borrow it icon_lol.gif MrsMissey did this cake...

http://cakecentral.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10492/MVC-021S.JPG

She could probably help you with the pod.

For the baby's face, you could use a doll face that you'd find at a craft store or you could do just a cute little round face like you see on a lot of baby shower cakes. I think this baby face is adorable...

http://www.securecakestore.com/acatalog/baby.jpg

Here's another cute baby face...

http://www.cakesbysuzy.com/baby_cake_II.JPG

fytar Posted 1 Jun 2005 , 8:38pm
post #3 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa

I think your idea is great! I might have to borrow it icon_lol.gif MrsMissey did this cake...

http://cakecentral.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10492/MVC-021S.JPG

She could probably help you with the pod.

For the baby's face, you could use a doll face that you'd find at a craft store or you could do just a cute little round face like you see on a lot of baby shower cakes. I think this baby face is adorable...

http://www.securecakestore.com/acatalog/baby.jpg

Here's another cute baby face...

http://www.cakesbysuzy.com/baby_cake_II.JPG

Thanks! I really needed the baby face! I love the ear of corn. That is exactly the direction I want to go with this. I am so excited that this idea might actually work!!

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 1 Jun 2005 , 8:46pm
post #4 of 20

I can send you the corn cob directions if you think it will help!

gotcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gotcake Posted 2 Jun 2005 , 2:15am
post #5 of 20

It might look somthing like this...
LL

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 2 Jun 2005 , 2:39am
post #6 of 20

Ok... that's cute! Somebody knows how to work photoshop!

gotcake Posted 2 Jun 2005 , 2:58am
post #7 of 20

I took a photoshop class but I use printshop to edit. I find it much quicker. icon_lol.gif

KATE39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATE39 Posted 2 Jun 2005 , 2:52pm
post #8 of 20

THAT IS VERY CUTE GOTCAKE. YOU ARE SO CREATIVE!

fytar Posted 2 Jun 2005 , 5:47pm
post #9 of 20

That is too cute!! Okay, now, how am I am going to make this?!

MrsMissey, can you email your ear of corn instructions to me? My email is [email protected].

Should I start with a rectangular cake as the base and the "peas" sitting on top of that with the fondant "pod" around that?

gotcake, thanks for editing the picture! I took photoshop myself, but it never occurred to me to put the two pics together! How clever!

Tarina

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 2 Jun 2005 , 5:55pm
post #10 of 20

I sure can!! Consider it done!! thumbs_up.gif

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 2 Jun 2005 , 5:59pm
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotcake

It might look somthing like this...

Oh that is great! I can't wait to see this cake!

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 2 Jun 2005 , 6:02pm
post #12 of 20

How about a a loaf pan and the mini ball pan for the peas and the baby face? Can't wait to see the final product!

Debbie

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 2 Jun 2005 , 8:25pm
post #13 of 20

Just a thought, you could use a football cake pan (upside down once baked) and cover it with green colored fondant and add the little ends with some more fondant. Add the face with a ball cake pan, cut in half. Hope this makes sense. Good luck!

gotcake Posted 2 Jun 2005 , 9:05pm
post #14 of 20

Boy...looks like I has the easy job...NO PRESSURE on me! Good luck to you fytar, we all can't wait to see! icon_rolleyes.gif

fytar Posted 8 Jun 2005 , 3:05pm
post #15 of 20

Well, Sorry All! This cake is not going to be made by me!! I gave my sister-in-law the price I would be willing to do this for ($35 - which is only her SIL discount "one time only and not for anyone else") so that she could get with the other ladies that were helping with the baby shower. I told her I had to have this to pay for the ingredients up front. She called me back and said that due to the other ladies in the office being so cheap and since it was her plan originally to throw a surprise baby shower for their coworker, they kept saying things to her like "well, it was your idea to do the baby shower in the first place"...Anywho, I told her not to sweat it and that it didn't bother me one bit that I wouldn't get to do this. She said she was relieved we came to this conclusion beforehand because she felt that the other ladies were not going to help financially and that she can now scale back her plans as well since they probably won't appreciate all the hard work "we" have put into it. I'm happy, she's happy...hate it for the mom-to-be, though!

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 8 Jun 2005 , 3:39pm
post #16 of 20

We had something similar at my office a while back. I made a cake and a diaper cake for the father (he worked with us). Planned everything and bought them a gift(s). Everyone did bring a dish and if they wanted to, a gift. It still turned out great for the expectant couple and he knew I had done it - his comment "This whole thing has you written all over it". That is the couple I just made the 1st birthday cake for and we ended up being pretty good friends over it all. It will all work out.

Debbie

cgalla88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cgalla88 Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 5:56pm
post #17 of 20

I was hoping you could email the directions for the corn on the cob cake. I am going to try to adapt it to a pea in the pod cake. thanks, Carrie

[email protected]

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 5:21am
post #18 of 20

I ordered those same cute peapod favors for my SIL's twin baby shower a couple years ago! thumbs_up.gif

Here's the cake I made for her shower, just in case you need any more ideas: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_49335.html

My cake was inspired by these stickers, which I used to make the shower invitations.
LL

cgalla88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cgalla88 Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 3:42pm
post #19 of 20

thanks. your cake is wonderful and the little pea pods are great. thanks again

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 3:54pm
post #20 of 20

Thanks!! Welcome to Cake Central, Carrie88!!!! You're going to LOVE it here!!!! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%