Problem With Fondant Figures

Decorating By aggiecakes Updated 8 Jul 2007 , 1:01pm by momvarden

aggiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiecakes Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 2:30am
post #1 of 17

I have made fondant figures before, but when I was working on some today, my fondant kept cracking. Am I using too much cornstarch and it is drying it out too much? I usually use marshmallow fondant, but I used Satin Ice today.

16 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 2:57am
post #2 of 17

Probably. I usually don't have to add any cornstarch to Satin Ice and where I live is crazy humid.

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 3:19am
post #3 of 17

Sounds like your fondant is too dry. Knead some shortening to make it more pliable.

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 3:31am
post #4 of 17

use crisco on your fondant. I very rarely use cornstarch other than possibly to dust the table or surface i am working to stop it from sticking to it. your fondant is to dry.

martyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martyz Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 1:13pm
post #5 of 17

I am from Australia and we don't have Crisco, we have Copha which is the closest thing I imagine is like Crisco. Our copha is solid, so how do you apply it to the fondant?

karensue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensue Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 1:21pm
post #6 of 17

I rub some on my hands and then work it into the fondant. Keep adding until it is nice and pliable.

martyz Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 1:25pm
post #7 of 17

Aha that makes sense - ok dumb question- is crisco solid too?

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 1:44pm
post #8 of 17

Yes, Crisco is solid.

momvarden Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 9:07pm
post #9 of 17

Yup, you got it!!! I have also found that when i have to add color to my fondant if i cover my hands with shortening (crisco) the color will wash right off when done. ( occasionally i will get a stain, I really think i didn't have any crisco on that spot.) Oh, yea my hands and nails feel better too!!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

Just thought you might like to know that. I hope someone else will try this and tell me what happens for them. I just don't like working with rubber gloves and that is just something else we have to purchase.

wysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wysmommy Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 11:44pm
post #10 of 17

momvarden! I do the same thing! I think it's so funny when I get a little tie-dyed spot where the crisco misses!

I HATE gloves! They never fit right!

Now...as for the original post. I had that happen a long time ago when I used cornstarch too. Now I only use powdered sugar and crisco (our solid) and it's never happened since!

Jessica176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessica176 Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 3:38am
post #11 of 17

martyz, I am from Australia too. Copha is not the same as Crisco and doesn't work the same way. Crisco is solid, but its more margarine solid than Copha solid. You will know what I mean if you get some. I get Crisco from this place: www.usafoods.com.au they also have lots of other great things we just don't get over here. thumbs_up.gif

martyz Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 3:44am
post #12 of 17

Hey thanks for the info jessica..i will try the website.

martyz Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 3:47am
post #13 of 17

Just had a quick look at their website - lots of interesting stuff...hey their retail shop is not too far from where I live. I will have to go for a drive! icon_smile.gif

Kim_m_kk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_m_kk Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 4:56am
post #14 of 17

Yes, I am american and now live in Australia - Copha is for sure not the same as crisco - I still have no idea how you make a good icing to decorate with in australia except to do straight butter which melts to easy - anyway that is off topic but don't add copha that stuff is only good for chocolate crackly as far as I know -

nicolevoorhout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolevoorhout Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 11:50am
post #15 of 17

I understand that copha and crisco are not exactly the same, and that buttercream and fondant are all personal taste issues, however, I have substituted copha for crisco in a Toba Garrett buttercream recipe and have had nothing but positive comments on it, one of my friends doesn't like icing pretty much at all says it's way to sweet, however, I made her a cake with it and she loved it, said it wasn't too sweet and even she was surprised she liked it. So while some would say don't substitute I would say you don't know until you try! My tip is though that I melt the copha and soften the butter and cream them together first, the copha must be really really soft or liquid or else you will get nasty lumps, cream it for a for minutes then start adding other ingredients! icon_biggrin.gif

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 12:16pm
post #16 of 17

I use " confectionary fat " from Cake Art ( for shortening ) - not in buttercream ( i use butter ) but for using with my fondant / gumpaste / putting on hands / utensils ....it's really good icon_biggrin.gif

momvarden Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 1:01pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolevoorhout

I understand that copha and crisco are not exactly the same, and that buttercream and fondant are all personal taste issues, however, I have substituted copha for crisco in a buttercream recipe and have had nothing but positive comments on it, one of my friends doesn't like icing pretty much at all says it's way to sweet, however, I made her a cake with it and she loved it, said it wasn't too sweet and even she was surprised she liked it. So while some would say don't substitute I would say you don't know until you try! My tip is though that I melt the copha and soften the butter and cream them together first, the copha must be really really soft or liquid or else you will get nasty lumps, cream it for a for minutes then start adding other ingredients! icon_biggrin.gif

i love tobas buttercrem...it is jst about all i use.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%