Please Help!!! I Need To Know How To Make A Pyramid Cake

Decorating By suesweet Updated 9 Mar 2013 , 7:45am by editor68

suesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suesweet Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 7:00pm
post #1 of 8

Hello my fellow cake decorators. I am new to this board and really love all the advice and tips that are offered here. It is certainly true that this site is addictive icon_biggrin.gif

I was asked to do a cake for a girl who is in a singing group with three other females, all of whom are hairdressers. The name of the group is EGYPT and so they want an Egyptian themed cake that includes aspects of them being hairstylists. She wants the cake to feed 100 people. I decided the best way for me to accomplish this is to make a full sheet cake, but I want to add a pyramid shaped cake to the top so I can make a silhouette of the four girls on each side of the pyramid. Each girl will be singing into a hair product "microphone" (ex: hairdryer, comb, brush, curling iron,).

So....the only problem is, I need to know the best way to make the pyramid shaped cake. Any advice would be very well appreciated. Thanks!!

P.S. how much would you charge for such a cake? The silhouette of the girls will be done in chocolate and the sheet cake is going to be a three layer neopolitan cake.

7 replies
MSurina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MSurina Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 7:27pm
post #2 of 8

After reading your post I don't know if I will be much help.

I was thinking of doing a few square cakes and piling them on top of each other and then carving the cake to be a big pyramid. If you wanted to do something like that you could still do the silhouette of the four girls on each side of the pyramid. You would need a dowel running down the middle of the cake to hold them all together.

I don't know if this was much help or not. icon_confused.gif

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 7:34pm
post #3 of 8

I agree with the pp. Bake square cakes in decreasing sizes, stack them and then carve away. But I have never done this, you might search the galleries and see if you can find something similar and then pm the creator for instructions.

Stephanie

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 8:26pm
post #4 of 8

here's a little diagram to help w/ stacking and cutting.

can get whole cake out of just 3 baked layers.
1-> 10x10 and 2-> 8x8

the extra from the one 8x8 could be the base of a sphinx or cake balls or the temple of Isis or another pound on the hips!

cut cake boards for under each layer... then dowel as for tiered and add strong central dowel.

only once all stacked and doweled do the trimming.

if properly centered, can use the cake boards to guide the cutting by holding knife so it is Vertical (perpendicular) to table. and cutting ACROSS the cake left to right and NOT top to bottom. Hold knife at slant that allows it to touch all 4 cake boards as you trim.

HTH
LL

suesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suesweet Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 8:48pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks Doug. You are very helpful. Am I to cut through the cake boards?

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 9:05pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by suesweet

will have to trim a bit to get perfect slant --- UNLESS you measure and pre-cut the boards to the exact size needed at each point. Then they can serve as a guide.

AudreysCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AudreysCakes Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 12:06am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesweet

will have to trim a bit to get perfect slant --- UNLESS you measure and pre-cut the boards to the exact size needed at each point. Then they can serve as a guide.

Doug, your awesome! i'm doing a mayan pyramid and this visual is just superb!!!

editor68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
editor68 Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 7:45am
post #8 of 8

AI would charge £3400 at the very least :-D

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%