Which Wedding Cake Stand? Joannes Coupon.....

Decorating By melodyscakes Updated 1 Jun 2005 , 5:48pm by SquirrellyCakes

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 1 Jun 2005 , 4:21pm
post #1 of 7

okay, i start my wilton class 3 next week, and will learn about wedding cakes and i have a 40% off coupon for joannes, or micheals will take it. but there are several to choose from. i havent got any wedding orders yet....but am babysitting today and will have extra money, and coupon....so i thought i would get a wedding cake stand.
any thoughts as to which one? like i've said, i havent done any yet. i was thinking about the one that is a three tiered and all are connected on one side, so no pillars are nessecary.
let me know what you think please, i will be going to class tomorrow night and will buy one.
thank you ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
melody

6 replies
montanakate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
montanakate Posted 1 Jun 2005 , 4:31pm
post #2 of 7

Honestly I would wait on getting a stand for now. I have the one that you are talking about and I've used it 2x's in 2 years. I think I would put the money towards other goodies, like pans or coloring gels, lustre dust, bags . . . . the list is endless.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 1 Jun 2005 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 7

Hi Melody...don't you love those coupons! I have that cake stand. I think it's called floating tiers? I've never used it for a wedding cake but I've heard that the tiers can lean from the weight of the cakes. Did you see the scrollwork stands? Those are really pretty. I also like to look in the pottery and garden sections. You can find lots of things there that can be used as cake stands.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 1 Jun 2005 , 4:47pm
post #4 of 7

I think the scrollwork stands are pretty too. I do have a cake stand I got at the walmart garden department and I always get compliments onit... go figure!

Mchelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mchelle Posted 1 Jun 2005 , 4:52pm
post #5 of 7

I personally don't use the stands as yet. I figured that I would cross that bridge when I come to it. I do use the coupons for cake pan though. This weekend Both coupons were out and I bought the three pans set for $15.00 ( that's the price of one pan!) WOOO HOOOO! I have two more coupons, so I am deciding on my next perchase now. More cake pans probably of decorator bags ( the box of 100). Skys the limit icon_lol.gif

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 1 Jun 2005 , 5:44pm
post #6 of 7

I think I would hold off buying stands too, until you have a need for them. Many places rent out stands and people's tastes vary as to what they want with their cakes.
I have the garden stand and the candlelight stand and a couple of different pedestal type plates that work well. Also several different spearator plates and sets of pillars and such. But I only purchased the stands after renting them several times where I could see the advantage to actually owning them.
I agree you can often find candle stands or plant stands that work very well with cakes and are much more original and cheaper to purchase.
Frequently people want stacked cakes, so you either need a cake plateau or a 1/2 thick piece of plywood.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 1 Jun 2005 , 5:48pm
post #7 of 7

Meant to add this, I have heard the same comments about the floating tier stands, particularly when the cakes were of heavier or thicker layers, not so much a problem with thinner or less deep cakes.
The tall tier stand, well I now know of three people that used this stand and parts of the stand broke. That is enough to make me want to stay away from it.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%