I'm So Stupid.... Can Someone Help??

Decorating By peacockplace Updated 8 Jun 2005 , 2:49am by SquirrellyCakes

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 1 Jun 2005 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 14

Ok I baked four cakes yesterday for a wedding this weekend. They are in the freezer now, but I just realized that instead of adding 1tsp. of almond extract I added 1tbs. This is the dumbest thing ever. i'm so mad at myself. I was thinking man this is a lot to add, but never checked my recipe. So my question... should I rebake all four of them or do you think they will be ok??? icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

13 replies
panipuri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panipuri Posted 1 Jun 2005 , 4:16pm
post #2 of 14

Peacock place, I would take one out to taste a bit and if you feel it too strong, you could rebake if you wanted to. BUt I dont think it should be too bad - with the frosting and filling, it would cover things up. I dont think 1 tsp to 1 tbsp would be a major difference. Isnt there a wee tiny top or side you could scrape a piece off, to know? Elaine

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 1 Jun 2005 , 4:30pm
post #3 of 14

I think it'll be fine too...yummy! I've seen recipes that even call for 1 tbsp.

Mable_21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mable_21 Posted 1 Jun 2005 , 4:31pm
post #4 of 14

I wouldn't beat myself up over it! I never actually measure out flavor extracts icon_surprised.gif If you need to torte the top of the cakes to make them flat, it's a perfect time to taste it. It would have to be pretty bad to get me to throw away 4 cakes!

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 1 Jun 2005 , 4:38pm
post #5 of 14

i think it will be fine. I never measure my flavorings. I just pour.

peacockplace Posted 1 Jun 2005 , 4:44pm
post #6 of 14

Thanks you guys! I always seem to do the dumbest things when I do big important cakes. Little cake for friends and family... no sweat. Hubby thinks I should keep them too. I had a little batter left ( I mixed some up this morning before I caught my mistake) so I'm making a 5" cake to taste. Hopefully it will be ok! Thank you all again. I'm so glad I have this place to come to!

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 1 Jun 2005 , 4:54pm
post #7 of 14

Oh dear, I feel your pain! I agree, I would give it a taste. Don't want to discourage here, but I find of all of the flavourings and extracts both real and artiificial, that almond is the strongest tasting. That is why most times if a recipe calls for 1 tsp. or so of vanilla, it only calls for about 1/4 - to 1/2 tsp. almond. A tablespoon is approximately the equivalent of 3 teaspoons. Which means you put three times the amount of extract in the recipe.
Give one a taste, cut out a wee chunk from underneath.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

peacockplace Posted 6 Jun 2005 , 2:43am
post #8 of 14

Update: Believe it or not.... it was ok. Tasted fine and i got lots of compliments. The picture is in the gallery. Thanks to all of you. I'm glad I didn't throw all that cake out!

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 6 Jun 2005 , 2:45am
post #9 of 14

Glad it all worked out well for you Peacockplace icon_smile.gif

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 6 Jun 2005 , 2:58am
post #10 of 14

I'm just catching up tonight after being away from the 'puter this weekend. That is really fantastic that the cakes were all good peacockplace! And to get compliments to boot! Cool!!

SquirrellyCakes Posted 6 Jun 2005 , 3:02am
post #11 of 14

Glad to hear it all turned out well in the end, good for you!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

DenaBug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DenaBug Posted 7 Jun 2005 , 11:45pm
post #12 of 14

I'm glad to hear all was well with your cakes. icon_smile.gif

I logged on to take a break, or needed rest, because I just ruined a cake by putting in the oil...and then...putting in the oil...instead of milk! icon_redface.gif

Sometimes my mind gets ahead of me..*L*

peacockplace Posted 7 Jun 2005 , 11:50pm
post #13 of 14

LOL DenaBug... at least you put in the oil... that's the thing that I seem to always leave out! Sometimes I think that I need to make a check list to sit by the mixer!

SquirrellyCakes Posted 8 Jun 2005 , 2:49am
post #14 of 14

Oh dear Denabug, sometimes I get so tired I do make a list as suggested and tick it off item by item. Haha, after 41 years of baking, sometimes I screw up too. it happens to all of us sooner or later. I also mark off my cups of icing/powdered sugar when making a lot of icing. It is so easy to get distracted by a phone call or thoughts, while you are baking!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%