Wedding Cake Help...

Decorating By ruralepicure Updated 7 Jun 2007 , 12:36am by ConnieSue

ruralepicure Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruralepicure Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 2:55pm
post #1 of 14

I got an order yesterday for a wedding cake and I'm looking for ideas as a topper. The bride doesn't want the big flower on the top but the colors of the ribbon will be the same as the one pictured. Do you think it needs a topper? It's going to be 3 tiers, all dummy except for the top. The cake is ONLY being used as a centerpiece on the head table and for them to feed each other the cake, too. No idea yet what size the tiers are going to be or even how much to charge.

She loves cookies so they are eating cookies instead of cake. I am 90% sure that I'm going to be doing the cookies, also. She might have a friend do them but the friend just had a baby so I'm not sure if she wants to make 400+ cookies with a newborn baby!!

Thanks!!

btw...the cake was pictured in Wedding Cakes A Design Source; by Cake and Chocolate Shop in the UK (I hope I got the name right)
LL

13 replies
randipanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
randipanda Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 3:06pm
post #2 of 14

Is the ribbon fondant or real ribbon? I would try to make a big loopy bow on top in either case. You might have to stiffen up the ribbon if it is fabric, but that isn't too hard.

ruralepicure Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 3:34pm
post #3 of 14

I think that it's real ribbon. That's what I'm planning on using anyway!!

FarberFamily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FarberFamily Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 5:12pm
post #4 of 14

I agree with randipanda, I'd also make a big loopy bow with the ribbon. But if you can, I'd find the same colored ribbon in a wider size for the loopy bow. Hmmmm... but maybe an all white fondant or gumpaste bow would also work so that the attention says on the thin ribbons that are wrapped around the tiers.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 5:18pm
post #5 of 14

How about a white fondant/gumpaste loopy boy with a strip of the ribbon on each loop? I hope that makes sense.

Debbie

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 5:23pm
post #6 of 14

I think a monogram on top would look great! Especially since you have the clean lines of the ribbon.

Lazy_Susan

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 7:41pm
post #7 of 14

I agree with the monogram, just the single letter would look great.

laneysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laneysmom Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 7:51pm
post #8 of 14

Would she consider real flowers? That cake screams gerbera daisies to me. icon_smile.gif

ShaunaCann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShaunaCann Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 7:53pm
post #9 of 14

As elegant the cake is with the simple lines of the ribbon, I agree with the monogram. I think that would complete the cake.

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 7:54pm
post #10 of 14

What about cookies? maybe it is cheesey, but my wedding theme was butterflies and the topper was 2 butterfly cookies.

Stephanie

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 8:06pm
post #11 of 14

wow it is a stunning cake... but yeah all those suggestions are great... as for the cookie idea i would make them mini cookies though as they may be too heavy looking with the ribbon... and maybe put their initials on the cookies, in that colour theme.

cant wait to see a pic of whatever you decide to do.

ruralepicure Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 11:42pm
post #12 of 14

All very good ideas, I will run them all by her and see what she says.

Thanks everyone!

alibugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alibugs Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 11:51pm
post #13 of 14

I agree with laneysmom. I saw the picture before reading and thought you were missing gerbers.

ConnieSue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieSue Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 12:36am
post #14 of 14

I also agree that Gerbers would look awesome on this cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%