I Just Want To Put This Out There...

Decorating By tiff2006 Updated 6 Jun 2007 , 8:16am by CakeRN

tiff2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiff2006 Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 6:43am
post #1 of 3

Today I discovered I had a cake deco store right here in my area!

So, I bought a lot of products (non-Wilton brand) and I must say, the quality is above and beyond Wilton.

I buoght Merckens candy melts..white chocolate and milk chocolate. The white chocolate is actually really good. The milk chocolate is good as well, tastes like a tootsie roll (kind of).

For all those curious about Satin Ice...the owner of the store gave me 2lbs to try for free. The taste is not better than homemade BUT it is better than Wilton and is certainly edible. The colored fondant is very soft and seems really easy to work with. I will definetly use it when I need a complicated color like black or red.

Americolo is also sooo much better than Wilton. Same goes for luster dust and such.

I'm not saying Wilton is terrible because it's not terribly bad. But lately, I've been doing a lot of cakes and Wilton has failed me in a lot of areas. Some of their products are cheaply made and I'm disgusted that I paid so much for them.

But for the price I have paid for all my Wilton stuff...I could've bought better brands for maybe a few cents more. The good stuff isn't much more expensive!

So, just though I would throw this out there for all the curious people (because before today, I was one of them).

2 replies
Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 7:26am
post #2 of 3

I completely agree with you!! I bought one wilton 16 inch round...cuz I was desparate and needed it "right now"! Boy has it been a disappointment!! My cakes come out stuck to the pan no matter what I do, and the crust is very dark. I had to finally line it with parchment to get the cake to leave the pan!

My magic line pans are just soooo much better!! I baked another round in the same oven, right after the other one done in the wilton...it came out with no problems and the crust was a perfect gold. Not to mention the cook time was shorter. Don't know what the difference is, but there definately is one!

And I am going to start using Americolors from now on too. I will still use some things wilton, like tips, and other tools, but on the whole I will look elsewhere.

I see Wilton as a starter tools company, or "in a pinch" type resource rather than a full time full use thing. Just learning from experience!

I'm with ya sister!!!

thumbs_up.gif

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 8:16am
post #3 of 3

when you think about it Wilton is like a ford neon compared to magic line which would be the mercedes of cake pans. magic line is a better grade of metal where wilton is an inexpensive aluminum. They are good for home decorators that don't go any further and as you said they are a starter company.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%