Trying No To Freak Out!(Long)

Decorating By steffla Updated 10 Jun 2007 , 3:25pm by hcouso

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 5:29am
post #1 of 23

Okay so I have a cake that is going to be picked up on Thursday morning. Tomorrow (Wed) I planned to decorate so I baked this evening. Tt is an 11 x 15 double layer which I try not to do but she really wanted two layers with filling. Anyhow, I baked and they were perfect, I leveled - perfect. Built a dam, added layer of choc ganache and layer of straw filling. Put second layer on top - perfect. But THEN I moved it onto a cake board in the stupidest way possible, think I was being lazy and it broke in a million pieces! So the bottom layer has a bunch of cracks in it and is broken apart in some places so I flipped the whole thing upside down to make that part on top because I was afraid it would collapse under the weight of the top layer! I dont know what to do now...If I decorate with it on top (mmf covered) I will never be able to get it smooth right? But do I dare try it on the bottom? This cake is really important to me but I dont have the money to start over. I also dont have room in my freezer right now to freeze and trim it but If I borrowed a cooler from someone so I could get the cake in the freezer, would it be okay when it came back to room temp>?
Any other suggestions? I am desperate and upset but I really need this cake to look fantastic!HELP

22 replies
JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 5:41am
post #2 of 23

Oh I hate doing those large sheet cakes! I did one (Star Wars cake in photos) and it broke apart both on the top and bottom. I ended up just sticking it all together with buttercream and cake parts. I iced it and let it be. It was fine, never broke or fell apart. I didn't put in the freezer either. Just left it out overnight.

Good luck.

steffla Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 5:44am
post #3 of 23

Thank you so much for telling me that! Your star wars cake looks awesome. I wish I could cover up the edges with stuff but I have to cover it in fondant and it will look like a shirt so nothing really goes on the edges! Biting my nails....

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 5:49am
post #4 of 23

I understand your frustration. Been there. Could you use buttercream to fill in the cracks and "glue" it back together? I don't know though since it's cracked how it will hold up with the weight on it. I've had them break completely in half with me and I "glued" them back together with BC and it worked for me. I've done a couple of 11x15 double layers with filling - they ARE heavy!
Maybe, BC glue them and do a BC crumb coat. This way, it might be smooth. ??
Good luck, hope it works out for you.

Isaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Isaby Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 5:51am
post #5 of 23

Yeah, just try to patch it up with butter cream and try to get it as smooth as possible. Then you get put it in the freezer got maybe 10 minutes to get it firmer, and then put on the fondant. The butter cream being firmer will hold its shape better and withstand the wirght of the fondant. Hope its not too late! But I am sure you will do a great job! It is with these " incidents" that we learn the most! icon_smile.gif

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 5:54am
post #6 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffla

Thank you so much for telling me that! Your star wars cake looks awesome. I wish I could cover up the edges with stuff but I have to cover it in fondant and it will look like a shirt so nothing really goes on the edges! Biting my nails....

Well all I did was do a crumb coat with bc and then iced with buttercream and the whole thing came out fine. The stuff on top didn't really cover up and cracks or anything.

I think if you do a crumb coat and then ice in buttercream, put your fondant on it will be fine. Dont' worry. You will be shocked to see how well a cake will patch up with icing. thumbs_up.gif

LittleBigMomma Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 6:15am
post #7 of 23

Buttercream, the duct tape of the baker's.

tashaluna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tashaluna Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 2:22pm
post #8 of 23

I have done a few full sheet cakes where I just want to chuck it at the wall. but every time it cake out wonderfull thank god to butter cream. thank god for butter cream. I hope it turns out great!!!

LittleBigMomma Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 3:23pm
post #9 of 23

One of the best ways that I've found to move the layers around is a cake board. If I torte a single layer larger sheet cake, I torte then slide the top layer onto a board (supporting the bottom as much as possible or else it could bend and break the cake), put the filling in and replace the top layer by sliding it off the board back onto the bottom layer. This is the tricky part because it has to be aligned with the bottom without make a disaster of the filling. I pretty much handle a two layer sheet cake this way. I've seen cake lifts on a couple of websites but hesitate to order one since they aren't really big enough to handle the larger layers.

kaylascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylascakes Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 7:26pm
post #10 of 23

I think the bc should work or use ganache so it blends with the other filling. also i find placing the bottom layer on your cake board and then filling and putting on the top layer is easier as then there is no trouble moving the cake onto the board and you can just clean up the board hth kayla x

steffla Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 4:28am
post #11 of 23

Hi Everyone! Thanks for the support ... here is the final result. I tried patching but it didnt seem so stable so I baked one more small cake filled with just the strawberry filling I had leftover and cut new pieces for the shirt sleeves. I felt so much better but I am nervous that I may wake up to some sort of disaster in the morning....fingers crossed!!!
LL

maryak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryak Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 4:33am
post #12 of 23

That looks absolutely amazing!!! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

Erika513x2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erika513x2 Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 4:44am
post #13 of 23

wow that look very nice

showersfamily4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
showersfamily4 Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 4:47am
post #14 of 23

Incredible job. You should be proud.

anatmb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anatmb Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 4:48am
post #15 of 23

Wow, your result is perfect! I am sure no one aside from you will know that you had trouble with it.

Anat

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 4:50am
post #16 of 23

It really looks incredible! You did a fantastic job!

SweetTcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTcakes Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 4:55am
post #17 of 23

Great cake, details are awesome. All that fret and you got a great cake. Don't you just hate having to do all the worrying. Great job!! Now you can relax. ;o)

steffla Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 1:53pm
post #18 of 23

I feel soooooo much better!!! I think the whole cycle of 'caking' is such a roller coaster but as long as the end result is good...its all worth it!!! Thanks for all the nice compliments! In the long run this cake was actually a whole lot of fun! Now I have to do todays cake!

hcouso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hcouso Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 11:49pm
post #19 of 23

I know the cake was finished Wed, but I just read your post and saw your cake and it is Amazing! I think you did an Awsome job on it! How did the people you did the cake for like it? I'm sure they loved it.

steffla Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 4:57am
post #20 of 23

Thank you so much! I love the cake but to be honest, I only saw one person when I dropped it off and she is the one who ordered it as a surprise. She loved it but I hate not getting to see and hear the reaction from people ya know? That is half the fun of doing cakes!

hcouso Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 4:23pm
post #21 of 23

I hear ya on that. My favorite part of making a cake is getting to see the reactions of people. I just did a grad cake & when they ordered they said they weren't going to have a party & I'll have to admit I was a little dissapointed that noone else would be seeing the cake. Then I delivered it and they decided to save it for a couple of days for the graduation so that they could have people over. I was so excited. Anywho, sorry that was a long story. Take Care, Heather

steffla Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 7:15pm
post #22 of 23

I do agree and it is so much fun to do a cake for an event you actually get to attend!!

I was looking at your photos and they are beautiful...especially that dog! Wow! I was wondering if you would offer me some advice on the car. I have to build a mustang in a while and I dont know how to support it so the wheels can be on the ground and the car raised a bit like yours. Any help would be appreciated!

hcouso Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 3:25pm
post #23 of 23

Hi, thank you so much for the compliments on my cakes! As for the cars, they are all actually resting right on the boards because they are racecars and the one that is not was a custom lowered car. But I know that you can cut boards a little smaller than the "car" & can fit wheels that way. I didn't use any shaped pans, I just printed pictures of the cars & used an electric knife to carve untill all angles looked like the picture. Also, when I carve a cake I freeze it for a while & it carves better. I hope this helped a little in some way & I would love to see your cake when it's done. You can PM me anytime you want if you have any other question, I'd be happy to help icon_smile.gif
Good Luck,
Heather

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%