Simple Question....

Decorating By pookster Updated 7 Jun 2007 , 3:02pm by LittleBigMomma

pookster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pookster Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 3:36am
post #1 of 20

just a quick question...what are dragees???? do you buy them ot make them??? TIA!!!!!

19 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 3:49am
post #2 of 20

They are little edible "pearls". You buy them:

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/mini.aspx?T=1&SubCatId=1519

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 4:29am
post #4 of 20

They are also illegal to sell in some states, just thought I added a fun fact...

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 4:36am
post #5 of 20

You can make them out of fondant too, though very time consuming! I needed some and didn't have enough time or money to order them, so I just spent a few hours making a couple hundred myself! Earlene's website has instructions on how to do it yourself.

Rambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rambo Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 4:41am
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by icingandsprinkles

They are also illegal to sell in some states, just thought I added a fun fact...

Okay you peaked my curiosity. Why are they illegal, is it kind of like the luster dust thing?? icon_confused.gif

elie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elie Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 4:41am
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Quote:

Really???

By any chance do you know what states?

miriel Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 4:44am
post #8 of 20

California for one

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 4:48am
post #9 of 20

I make mine using fondant and luster dust. I roll the fondant out then use the large/top end of an icing tip to cut out circles (this assures that they'll all be the same size), roll them into shape and drop them into a Ziploc with the dust and shake. I believe I got the instructions from Earlene's website.

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 4:52am
post #10 of 20

I cannot believe the state in which I live! CA is the most sue-happy place on the planet! I'll bet the dragee rule has to do with potential choking or something like that! How stupid!

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 4:53am
post #11 of 20

Here's something I found on it...the sugarcraft link within this link says California, Texas, Colorado, New Jersey, Arizona and Florida.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060906204048AAH2GSr

Rambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rambo Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 4:56am
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoma9

I cannot believe the state in which I live! CA is the most sue-happy place on the planet! I'll bet the dragee rule has to do with potential choking or something like that! How stupid!

LOL if you read the link it says lawsuits were settled out of court.

chefcindy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefcindy Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 5:05am
post #13 of 20

You can get them in CA, but they are hard to find... most people don't want to bother with the liability... whatever!!! I probably ate a ton of them when I was a kid in TX... come to think of it... maybe that's what's wrong with me!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 5:11am
post #14 of 20
Quote:

Thanks for the link to the other shapes. I'm always looking for new shapes and I just LOVE the baby ones.

miriel Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 5:16am
post #15 of 20

I love those too! Even if they are just scattered on the table around a baby-themed cake. They are too cute!

KateWatson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateWatson Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 5:17am
post #16 of 20

I just ordered a few bags from Ebay. I "Googled" dragees and ended up linking to Ebay, to a candy company back East who sells 4oz. bags for $2.99. I sent them a check and my dragees are on the way! I think the lawsuit had to do w/the (minute) amount of "metal" in them. Between the red dye we all ate as kids, all the dragees we must have had, the second-hand smoke and the lack of sunscreen, it's amazing any of us are alive!! icon_biggrin.gif

LittleBigMomma Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 5:22am
post #17 of 20

I've often wondered why a lot of products have a warning for CA residents. Not just food stuff either.
Ex. CA Residents. This product contains xxxx which has been found to cause xxx or is hazardous etc. etc. blah, blah.

And, then I stop and think, "OK, I'm not in CA so, I'm safe?" The dangerous eliments must be removed at the state line?

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 2:14pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBigMomma

I've often wondered why a lot of products have a warning for CA residents. Not just food stuff either.
Ex. CA Residents. This product contains xxxx which has been found to cause xxx or is hazardous etc. etc. blah, blah.

And, then I stop and think, "OK, I'm not in CA so, I'm safe?" The dangerous eliments must be removed at the state line?

You got it! CA wouldn't let that in through their borders! People here like to think of themselves as open-minded, but in truth -- we're only open minded about things we're willing to let in the state. If we don't agree with it, we just banish it! Now that's open-mindedness for you!

S.

MadPhoeMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadPhoeMom Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 2:23pm
post #19 of 20

are they really banned in texas?
i buy them in texas, i use them in texas. i DO warn people that sometimes they can be hard to bite into....and i have noticed that there is a posted notice where i purchase them that states some sort of warning....never really bothered to read it though.....

yikes!

LittleBigMomma Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 3:02pm
post #20 of 20

If it's the metal that causes the warning, it couldn't be any worse than the mercury in our dental work that we're chewing on EVERY day. After all, the dusts warning does say "minute" amounts of....

and, I've noticed that most containers say, "Non-Toxic" or edible.... followed by a warning. That's just cover some behinds should a lawsuit stem from use. IMHO

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%