Cake Boards?

Decorating By cakesfromhome Updated 7 Jun 2007 , 6:51pm by indydebi

cakesfromhome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesfromhome Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 3:17am
post #1 of 16

Every time I make a sheet cake (like, 11x13, 12x1icon_cool.gif I have to deal with the icing cracking because the cake is too heavy for the cake boards. I just buy the scalloped edge "serving boards" from Hobby Lobby and have to use two of them. Even then they still crack some. Last time I used two of them and put a small board in between them and that helped. Anyway, my question is, what do some of you use to put your cakes on? It seems like all of my cakes (sheet cakes, tiered, stacked, etc.) are always heavy. Am I missing some magic, sturdy cake board that everyone else uses? Thanks for the help! thumbs_up.gif

15 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 3:23am
post #2 of 16

I have a couple of masonite boards. I also went to Lowe's and had them cut me a few boards to size. The first time, I used 1/4" thickness and it had some give to it ..... so I went back and got some 3/8" thickness boards. They will cut them for no charge and they are not that expensive.

You can either arrange for the customer to return the boards or build the boards into your price.

Before I got those boards, I used 3 cardboards taped together.

indydebi Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 3:24am
post #3 of 16
cakesfromhome Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 9:59pm
post #4 of 16

Alright, that sounds great! Thanks so much for the suggestion. I hated to do all that work to the cake and then just have it all crack when it's time to move it because of the flimsy cake board. Thanks again!!

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 10:05pm
post #5 of 16

I have one to do so I bought (can't remember what they are called) the thick board. I am going to put the cake on a regular board then on the thicker board for delivery. When I get there I will just slide it off and I won't have to worry about it being returned.

I have used masonite boards for my round cakes I really like them.

fat-sissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fat-sissy Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 10:08pm
post #6 of 16

I have also used the foam board from Hobby Lobby (with the framing supplies). It's 3.99 a sheet and I always use a 40% off coupon. I can get 2 half sheet boards from each. I do plan on having some Masonite boards cut.

Jaremcal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaremcal Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 10:50pm
post #7 of 16

We actually use ply wood. My friends husband owns a construction company and they use them for temporary road signs so he gave us a ton of old ones. Dh just cuts them down to size and we cover them.

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 2:28am
post #8 of 16

I use plywood cut to size too, but lately I've been using drywall! A lady who has been doing cakes for 2 decades told me about this and it works great. It's easy to cut if my husband isn't able to help me, and I don't have to worry about getting it back from the customer. I admit I'm a bit of a scavenger so whenever I find someone building a new home or remodeling I let them know that I'd be glad to take their leftover drywall off of their hand!

cakesfromhome Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 2:50am
post #9 of 16

Drywall? I would have never thought of that either. Do you cover it in anything? I am so thankful for this website. Everyone is always so helpful and creative.

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 3:27am
post #10 of 16

I just cover it in the regular freezer wrap that I use for most cakes, or fanci foil or whatever. It just works great!

zoomitoons Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomitoons Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 3:42am
post #11 of 16

i use plywood cut and sanded to size also. my dad cuts them to what i need, he also builds most of my supports and stands that i use.
i have in my contract that i need my boards back or the price comes out of thier deposit.
i cover then in fanci foil usually.
Amy

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 12:45pm
post #12 of 16

I have a couple of questions.

What is the price difference between masonite, plywood and drywall?

And how do they compare to each other, weight wise?

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 1:31pm
post #13 of 16

So far I've been using the plain cake boards that Wilton offers, and tape them together for added strength. For my 2-layer 12x18 cake I used a total of 4 boards, taped and then covered in fancifoil.

I've also used plywood for one *very* large construction cake, but I had issues carrying it and putting it in my car. But that was just one time.

BoothsBest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BoothsBest Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 2:21pm
post #14 of 16

For some of my really large cakes, I have a large plain mirror I use. (I only use it when I know I can get it back) I had my local glass/mirror shop cut and bevel on for me. It really makes a pretty presentation especially for wedding and grooms cakes.

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 3:02pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmeg

I've also used plywood for one *very* large construction cake, but I had issues carrying it and putting it in my car. But that was just one time.

This is exactly why I am asking. I have a very large sheet cake (18x26) in a couple of weeks and I'm thinking I need a board approx. 24x32. I've measured my car and it will fit in the backseat. But the weight?????? There is only so much my back is going to handle.

indydebi Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 6:51pm
post #16 of 16

I have done a few cakes for the Governor's office (award ceremonies) that are 18x26 and the last one was 22x28. I had a special board cut for this size, but the hardest part is not getting it in and out of the car, but getting it inside the State House! Since 9-11, there is no right-next-to-the-door parking at most govt buildings, so there is quite a bit of distance to have to carry this sucker!! We've invested in a hand truck that converts to a flat carrier. The board fit perfectly on it and I can maneuver it anywhere, very easily.

If you do many large cakes, I strongly suggest investing in one of these. here's a pic of the one I have:

http://www.buyonlinenow.com/hand-trucks.asp?source=ink

But I didn't pay $400 for mine. I got mine at the U-Haul store for under $75.

P.S. When you cut your boards, be sure that the size you've cut will fit thru a doorway!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%