Gumpaste Help! Ranunculus Anyone?!?

Decorating By erincakegirl Updated 19 Jul 2006 , 7:19am by erincakegirl

erincakegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erincakegirl Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 6:36pm
post #1 of 5

So I agreed to do a wedding cake due on July 29th with gumpaste ranunculus...has anyone ever done these before? I've found about ZERO cutters or directions or tips anywhere!

I can probably sort it out okay, but I'd love it if anyone has tried these before and has any tips! Thanks!!!

Erin

4 replies
jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 9:34pm
post #2 of 5

the buds look very similar to rose buds.

the flowers also look very similar to roses, so if you know how to do those I think it is a matter of adapting the technique slightly to account for the additional layers of petals and such

so basically, I'd use the rose petal cutter

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 9:38pm
post #3 of 5

I had to do these a few years ago. I found a how-to in some book (I forget which) but they didn't look anything like the ones the bride was having in her bouquet, so I made my own.

I'm attaching two close-ups (hopefully). One is the fresh ranunculus the bride provided to me use as a model and the other is my gumpaste version. There are few different types of ranunculus, but this is how I did mine.

1) Start with a ball of gumpaste.
2) Cut out small circles for the petals & glue them in overlapping fashion all over the top and sides of the ball. I just used round tips in different sizes as cutters.
3) Build your flower from the center out. Keep cutting out circles for the petals, making them a bit bigger as you build the flower and cupping them a little as you move away from the center and towards the outer edges. Overlap the petals as you glue them.

Hope this helps.
LL
LL

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 12:41am
post #4 of 5

I just got this book from the library:

Floral Wedding Cakes & Sprays by Alan Dunn.

It has directions for Ranunculus.

erincakegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erincakegirl Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 7:19am
post #5 of 5

Thanks all...I'm having luck due to a combination of your suggestions. They seem to be coming along nicely!

Erin

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%