New Web Site. Input Needed.

Business By Solecito Updated 12 Jun 2007 , 9:45pm by Solecito

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 6:06pm
post #1 of 19

I would like to ask all you busy people to spend a couple of minutes, (well maybe 5) checking my new web page. I found the input you give to other members very valuable. Mostly to find any bugs. Or misspelled words.
Any comments will helpe me improve big time. You see I'm thinking of joining a very important wedding web directory here in Juarez, and I need my web site to be flawless.
Thank you all for the time you can dedicate to this. And thanks in advance for all the comments you can give me.
SOL

http://reposterama.googlepages.com

18 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 6:37pm
post #2 of 19

It is set up very well! The pics load very fast. They are large enough to see in the initial view and the ability to see them larger is a big plus.

The only thing I see missing is any indication of what your price range may be. Even if your policy is to price each cake and cookie order individually, a bride searching the net for information is looking for pricing information. Even if you can give a starting price or a range of "... $2 to $6, depending on design", would be helpful to those looking.

Your site and your work is very impressive! thumbs_up.gif

jewelykaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelykaye Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 7:57pm
post #3 of 19

Yes, everything loads up very fast even on my EXTREMELY slow work computer!

My suggestions would be:

1. Center the Title (in the upper pink area)
2. Take away the lighter purple background on all the link words. (Keeps making me think I'm accidentally highlighting them.)
3. The logo below "Welcome to our Virtual Confectionary", needs to be up in the title bar (pink area) or just gone.
4. Either take away the date graphic or make it smaller and more towards the bottom of the page.

IMO, this will make the website a little more fluid and easier to read. Right now I feel like my eyes don't know what to look at.

Your cookie arrangements are beautiful by the way!!!

Solecito Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 8:19pm
post #4 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

It is set up very well! The pics load very fast. They are large enough to see in the initial view and the ability to see them larger is a big plus.

The only thing I see missing is any indication of what your price range may be. Even if your policy is to price each cake and cookie order individually, a bride searching the net for information is looking for pricing information. Even if you can give a starting price or a range of "... $2 to $6, depending on design", would be helpful to those looking.

Your site and your work is very impressive! thumbs_up.gif

Thanks for your advice. I'm veryy flattered coming from you.
You'd laugh at my prices. I actually charge $6.50 per slice, for wedding and 15añeras, for kid's parties it's about $4.50 and cup cakes are about $3.60 each. That's in pesos, which are about $11.- pesos for $1 dll. SO my prices in dlls are about: $0.60 per slice weddings, $0.42 per slice kid's parties and $0.33 cupcakes.

Solecito Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 8:24pm
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelykaye

Yes, everything loads up very fast even on my EXTREMELY slow work computer!

My suggestions would be:

1. Center the Title (in the upper pink area)
2. Take away the lighter purple background on all the link words. (Keeps making me think I'm accidentally highlighting them.)
3. The logo below "Welcome to our Virtual Confectionary", needs to be up in the title bar (pink area) or just gone.
4. Either take away the date graphic or make it smaller and more towards the bottom of the page.

IMO, this will make the website a little more fluid and easier to read. Right now I feel like my eyes don't know what to look at.

Your cookie arrangements are beautiful by the way!!!

Thank you for your comments. I needed a neutral eye to tell me things I missed. The only thing I can't change is the purple background in the links, it's automatic, but maybe I can change colors or something.

Housemouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Housemouse Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 8:30pm
post #6 of 19

Just a thought but my question would be do you really want to have a link to Cake Central on your site?

Your customers will be able to sign up and have access to your posts etc etc etc. I don't know how often you use CC but you won't be able to complain or comment, in a private and understanding environment, about awkward customers,or pricing issues or other cake world stuff, safe in the knowledge that you're among friends.

Plus if any of your special recipes etc etc have been learned from CC then your customers can also learn your secrets!

I get the feeling that a lot of CCers who run businesses tend to keep CC to themselves!!

Housemouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Housemouse Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 8:36pm
post #7 of 19

Sorry, also spotted some typos on the contract terms page. Going by memory here...

Minimum (not minimun)
Accessories (not accesories)

Solecito Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 10:53pm
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Housemouse

Just a thought but my question would be do you really want to have a link to Cake Central on your site?

Your customers will be able to sign up and have access to your posts etc etc etc. I don't know how often you use CC but you won't be able to complain or comment, in a private and understanding environment, about awkward customers,or pricing issues or other cake world stuff, safe in the knowledge that you're among friends.

Plus if any of your special recipes etc etc have been learned from CC then your customers can also learn your secrets!

I get the feeling that a lot of CCers who run businesses tend to keep CC to themselves!!

You are right, although most of my clients don't speak english. I just added yesterday, not knowing which link to put in. Thanks.

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 11:21pm
post #9 of 19

Solecito for a second I thought you were talking about dollars on your prices I was like what!!!!!!!! but they are pesos, where are you located(country) I'm from Mexico I think if you fix what the ladies suggested it will make your website better although I know nothing aout websites, when they pointed it out I couldn't help but agree.

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 11:22pm
post #10 of 19

Duh I just saw it right by your name you are in Ciudad Juarez cool always nice to talk to people from all over the world.

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 11:41pm
post #11 of 19

Solecito,

I wave to you from across the border!! I'm in El Paso. icon_biggrin.gif

I noticed the color scheme on the spanish site was different, and more appealing than the english site. Perhaps you could change the english site to the same colors?

Beautiful work, and I agree with jewelykaye, I love your cookie arrangements!

TinaRee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinaRee Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 11:57pm
post #12 of 19

Oops icon_cry.gif Not all of your pictures enlarge when clicked on, or at least they didn't for me.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 11:59pm
post #13 of 19

I think it looks good! I found a typo though....

7 years ago I wanted to start a small home-based bussiness but didn't had any money.....should be HAVE, not HAD

And such relationship can only star with...should be START, not STAR

Besides those two typos on the English version, I think it looks great! It loaded very quickly for me!

aoliveira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aoliveira Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 12:17am
post #14 of 19

Some pictures were not clickable. The site looks very good otherwise.

I agree that having the same page format and colors on all pages would be nice. I noticed the About page had a whole different color scheme. Maybe you could continue the colore scheme from the main page throughout.

Good job and good luck with your business.

Alex

peytonsmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peytonsmommy Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 2:31am
post #15 of 19

The only thing I thought was maybe making the type on the home page a bit bigger. With the dark background I felt like I was squinting a bit to read it. Same thing w/ the 16 days until summer. I could see a big 16 but couldn't see the type beside it very well so it took me a minute to figure out what that was. Love your cakes!

Solecito Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 9:18pm
post #16 of 19

I'd like to thank all of you for your input and all your comments. I'm very happy you liked my work. I try every day to improve myself. And I really needed a neutral opinion on my web site. I changed what I could. A lot of things are automatic and unfortunetly I don't have the time to learn how to do them on my own.

But I really, really thank you, from the bottom of my heart. Your comments helped my a lot. I'm sure the changes suggested made a big difference. YOu can check it out and see.
icon_wink.gif

Thanks again.
SOL

Solecito Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 2:44am
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanibird

Solecito,

I wave to you from across the border!! I'm in El Paso. icon_biggrin.gif

Beautiful work, and I agree with jewelykaye, I love your cookie arrangements!

Waving back!! thumbs_up.gif

SaraO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraO Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 8:14pm
post #18 of 19

It looks really good. I have some suggestions too.

I would reword this:
With the effort on keeping our prices low we started using the "Virtual Bakery" concept, instead of having an establishment full of ready to deliver products but with the need to be kept in refrigeration.

to this:
In an effort to keep prices low, we are using the "Virtual Bakery" concept. Instead of having an establishment full of ready-to-deliver products that need to be refridgerated, you can view our products online at your convenience

You just need to add an apostrophe to clients and an s to budget in this phrase:
"customized to our clients wishes and budget" (so it should be "customized to our clients' wishes and budgets")

"Kid's birthday cakes" should be "Kids' birthday cakes"

Overall, it looks great - especially the kids' cakes!

Solecito Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 9:45pm
post #19 of 19

Thank you so much for your input, it really sounds better the way you said it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%